Justification for introducting "Disentaglers" in MERA

• I
  • Thread starter Jimster41
  • Start date
In summary, Vidal introduced the multi-scale entanglement renormalization ansatz (MERA) as an efficient representation of certain quantum many-body states on a D-dimensional lattice. This ansatz allows for an exact evaluation of local expectation values and is also the structure underlying entanglement renormalization. Disentanglers and isometries are key components of the ansatz, with the former removing short range entanglement and the latter combining pairs of nearest neighbor wires into single wires. The MERA can be thought of as undoing the quantum evolution back in time and implementing real space coarse-graining transformations.
Jimster41
A class of quantum many-body states that can be efficiently simulated
G. Vidal
(Submitted on 12 Oct 2006)
We introduce the multi-scale entanglement renormalization ansatz (MERA), an efficient representation of certain quantum many-body states on a D-dimensional lattice. Equivalent to a quantum circuit with logarithmic depth and distinctive causal structure, the MERA allows for an exact evaluation of local expectation values. It is also the structure underlying entanglement renormalization, a coarse-graining scheme for quantum systems on a lattice that is focused on preserving entanglement.

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0610099

Just trying to follow some of the Condensed Matter and Area Laws Papers of late. Find myself re-reading Swingle's paper http://arxiv.org/abs/0905.1317 and the one above - which as I understand it first introduced the MERA process - which seems to hinge especially on these things called "disentanglers". I'm hoping someone can answer the following question without too much effort:

Are disentanglers (and I guess isometries as well) just part of the ansatz (guess). In other words without speculating on what could cause them - they are key parts of a proposed theory which is Ansatz. Or is there a more extensive history to them conceptually. If MERA accurately models Quantum Space-Time Geometry where would one suggest the disentanglers come from? Not where literally, but what mechanism are they rooted in. What physical notion supports their existence and function. Is related to the negative curvature of Ads?

Hope that makes a little sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Disentanglers are part of the Ansatz. An Ansatz is just a physically motivated guess. You can think of them as removing short range entanglement, but leaving long range entanglement.

The other way to think about it is that the MERA produces wave functions for systems whose entanglement entropy obey area laws. The disentanglers allow the Ansatz to have that property.

Last edited:
Likes Jimster41 and Truecrimson
Thanks.

From Vidal:
"We have defined a MERA for |Ψi in terms of a quantum circuit C that transforms a product state |0i ⊗N into |Ψi by means of Θ layers of unitary gates."

"An alternative interpretation of the MERA can be obtained by considering the sequence of states {|Ψ0i, |Ψ1i, |Ψ2i, . . . }, which correspond to undoing the quantum evolution of C back in time. Notice that |Ψτ+1i is obtained from |Ψτ i by applying two layers of tensors in M. The first layer is made of disentanglers that transform |Ψτ i into a less entangled state |Ψ′ τ i. The second layer is made of isometries that combine pairs of nearest neighbor wires into single wires, turning the state |Ψ′ τ i of Nτ wires into the state |Ψτ+1i of Nτ /2 wires, where Nτ = 2Θ−τ . That is, M implements a class of real space coarse-graining transformations known as entanglement renormalization [7]."

So the "unitary gates" represent "evolution of observables" or "measurements" or "un-observed collapse inducing interactions" (I'm trying to avoid the can of interpretation questions - while checking my association with same).

And the "Isometries" or renormalization step is the "re-etangling" of the new unobserved state - the subsequent evolution of which must be a unitary disentangler.

Am I following?

Related to Justification for introducting "Disentaglers" in MERA

1. What is the purpose of introducing "Disentanglers" in MERA?

The purpose of introducing "Disentanglers" in MERA is to improve the efficiency and accuracy of the system by untangling the complex connections between different variables and factors. This allows for better understanding and analysis of data, leading to more reliable results and predictions.

2. How do "Disentanglers" work in MERA?

"Disentanglers" work by using algorithms and machine learning techniques to identify and separate the relationships between different variables and factors within a system. This process helps to reduce the complexity of the data and make it easier to analyze and interpret.

3. What are the potential benefits of using "Disentanglers" in MERA?

The potential benefits of using "Disentanglers" in MERA include increased accuracy and efficiency in data analysis, improved understanding of complex systems, and more reliable predictions and recommendations. This can lead to better decision-making and problem-solving in various industries and fields.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using "Disentanglers" in MERA?

Like any technology, "Disentanglers" may have limitations and potential drawbacks. These could include the need for large amounts of data to properly train the algorithms, potential biases in the data or algorithms, and the possibility of oversimplifying complex systems. It is important to carefully consider these factors and continuously evaluate the use of "Disentanglers" in MERA.

5. How can "Disentanglers" be incorporated into existing MERA systems?

"Disentanglers" can be incorporated into existing MERA systems through the integration of new algorithms and machine learning techniques. This may involve updating the software and hardware used in the system, as well as training and testing the algorithms with relevant data. It is important to carefully plan and test the implementation of "Disentanglers" to ensure their effectiveness and compatibility with the existing system.