Just requiring understanding of thermodynamics solution

In summary: Then, using the ideal gas equation (PV=nRT), you can solve for the final temperature given the initial temperatures, pressures, and moles of the two gases.In summary, the conversation discusses the change in entropy when a vessel containing 4 mol of nitrogen gas and 2.5 mol of argon gas at different temperatures and pressures is mixed adiabatically. The method used to find the final temperature involves equating the total change in internal energy to 0 and using the ideal gas equation. The rest of the solution is understood except for this part. The change in internal energy being 0 should only apply for isothermal systems instead of adiabatic.
matthewsyq1995

Homework Statement

A vessel divided into 2 parts by a partition, contains 4 mol of nitrogen gas at 348.15K and 30 bar on one side and 2.5mol of argon gas at 130C and 20bar on the other. If the partition is removedand the gases mixes adiabatically, and comletely, what is the change in entropy?

Homework Equations

Assuming Nitrogen is an ideal gas with Cv = (5R/2)
Assuming argon is an ideal gas with Cv = (3R/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok basically i have the solution but i can't seem to understand the starting part where he got the final temperature. the professor told us to 1st bring the individual stream to mixture T and P. But i don't understand how he got the final temperature Tf.

How he did it was by equating
U(N2) + U(Ar) = 0
Then,
4 x (5R/2) x (Tf - 348.15) = 2.5 x (3R/2) x (403.15 - Tf)
Tf = 363.15K

It is my understanding that this method is basically equating the total change in internal energy of the system to be 0. Then using U=nCv(deltaT), he finds Tf.

However, I believe that the change in internal energy to be 0 should only apply for isothermal systems instead of adiabatic.

I understand the rest of his solution to find the entrpy except for this part. Do help me pls :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you take as your system the contents of the entire vessel (i.e., both gases in both compartments), then, since the vessel is rigid, no work is done on the contents. And, since the vessel is insulated, no heat is transferred to the contents. So, since ##\Delta U=Q-W##, the change in internal energy of the total contents of the vessel is zero.

Related to Just requiring understanding of thermodynamics solution

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the relationships between heat, work, and energy in a system.

2. Why is understanding thermodynamics important?

Understanding thermodynamics is crucial in many fields of science and engineering, including chemistry, physics, and mechanical engineering. It helps us understand how energy is converted and transferred between different forms, and how it affects the behavior of materials and systems.

3. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy in a system. They include the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted, and the second law, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time.

4. How is thermodynamics applied in real-world situations?

Thermodynamics is applied in a wide range of real-world situations, such as power plants, refrigeration systems, and chemical reactions. It is also used in the design and optimization of engines, turbines, and other energy conversion devices.

5. What are some common applications of thermodynamics in everyday life?

Some common applications of thermodynamics in everyday life include cooking, heating and cooling systems, and transportation. The principles of thermodynamics also play a role in understanding weather patterns and climate change.