Just need to verify my answers

• Thread starter tacman
  • Start date
In summary, verifying answers means confirming their correctness and accuracy. It is important to do so in order to avoid errors and ensure reliability in scientific research. Common methods for verifying answers include experiments, peer review, and using reliable sources and data. Scientists ensure accuracy through the scientific method and critical thinking. If unsure about the accuracy of answers, consulting with experts and reviewing sources and data is recommended to ensure the validity of information.
tacman
True or false

1. A continuous random variable is the result of a measurement with an instrument of some kind. Answer: FALSE
2. In a discrete probability distribution, the probability of any value of the random variable must be between –1 and + 1. Answer: TRUE
3. The sample space for the experiment of flipping 3 coins is 8. Answer: TRUE
4. Jack and Jill are going to guess whether a card drawn by Pete is a club or not. Pete signals to Jack that the card is black. Therefore Jack has an advantage over Jill in this game. Answer: TRUE
5. If P(A and B) = 0, then A and B are mutually exclusive. Answer: TRUE
6. If P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B), then A and B are independent. Answer: TRUE
7. It takes a big dog to weigh a ton. (I don’t get this question) Answer: FALSE
8. In the standard normal distribution, the area to the left of the mean is –0.5. Answer: FALSE – because it should still be 0.5 not negative.
9. A value of random variable in any probability distribution can never be more than 3 standard deviations from the mean. Answer: TRUE
10. The speed of a car on the freeway is an example of a continuous random variable. Answer: FALSE

thanks to all who help.

Physics news on Phys.org
9 is wrong. 10 might be.

1. A continuous random variable is the result of a measurement with an instrument of some kind. Answer: FALSE
Okay, it can be but it doesn't have to be.

2. In a discrete probability distribution, the probability of any value of the random variable must be between –1 and + 1. Answer: TRUE
Oooh! I don't like the way that's written! Of course, such a probability has to be between 0 and 1. That's included in "between -1 and 1" so I would accept it as true but the statement is very misleading!

3. The sample space for the experiment of flipping 3 coins is 8. Answer: TRUE
I have some real issues with this! The sample space contains 8 members (TTT, TTH, etc.) but I would never say the sample space "is 8"! A sample space is not a number.

4. Jack and Jill are going to guess whether a card drawn by Pete is a club or not. Pete signals to Jack that the card is black. Therefore Jack has an advantage over Jill in this game. Answer: TRUE
Well, duuh! (I never did trust those two!)

5. If P(A and B) = 0, then A and B are mutually exclusive. Answer: TRUE
Yes, that's the definition of mutually exclusive.

6. If P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B), then A and B are independent. Answer: TRUE
Again, that's the definition.

7. It takes a big dog to weigh a ton. (I don’t get this question) Answer: FALSE
Completely meaningless. There are no dogs that weigh a ton. Now if it had said "It takes a big man to weigh a ton", I might start thinking about men whose job it is to weigh heavy items but dogs don't do that either!

8. In the standard normal distribution, the area to the left of the mean is –0.5. Answer: FALSE – because it should still be 0.5 not negative.
Of course. Area is never negative. It is the "z" value measuring how far to the left that is negative.

9. A value of random variable in any probability distribution can never be more than 3 standard deviations from the mean. Answer: TRUE
No, of course, not! a random variable in a normal distribution, for example, can take on arbitrarily large positive or negative values. It's just very unlikely.

10. The speed of a car on the freeway is an example of a continuous random variable. Answer: FALSE
One could certainly argue about how accurate you measure and whether it is ever correct to ascribe "continuity" to a physical measurement, but, on the whole, I would say this is TRUE. A cars speed can, theoretically, take on all speeds between 2 given values.

Related to Just need to verify my answers

What does it mean to "verify" answers?

To verify answers means to confirm that they are correct and accurate. This can involve double-checking calculations, reviewing sources, and ensuring that all necessary information was considered.

Why is it important to verify answers?

It is important to verify answers because mistakes or incorrect information can lead to flawed conclusions and potentially harmful consequences. Verifying answers helps to ensure accuracy and reliability in scientific research and findings.

What are some common methods for verifying answers?

Common methods for verifying answers include performing experiments, peer review, and using reliable sources and data. Other methods may include cross-checking information with other experts in the field or using statistical analysis.

How do scientists ensure the accuracy of their answers?

Scientists ensure the accuracy of their answers by following the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. They also use critical thinking and logical reasoning to evaluate the validity of their findings.

What should I do if I am unsure about the accuracy of my answers?

If you are unsure about the accuracy of your answers, you should consult with other experts in the field, review relevant literature and sources, and perform additional experiments or analyses. It is always better to take extra steps to verify your answers rather than risking incorrect or incomplete information.