Just finished my phy 2 midterm 3

• Thread starter jimmybagz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Midterm
In summary, the frequency of light in water is less than the frequency of light in air. The wavelength of light in water is less than the wavelength of light in air. The speed of light in water is less than the speed of light in air.
jimmybagz
Just finished my phy 2 midterm 3!- one problem I am iffy about

Homework Statement

So first question I have is on a conceptual problem in our exam dealing with wavelength and frequency of light along with speed in water and Air
1. The frequency of light in water is____ that of air
2. The wavelength of light in water is____ that of air
3. The speed of light in water is ____ that of air

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda[/tex]matter=[tex]\lambda[/tex]vaccum/n
v=c/n
v=f*[tex]\lambda[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1. This is the one I put my best guess on...equal to
-I was not sure on this one very frustrating as I studied hard and just didnt remember this one
2. Pretty sure...Less than
-I used the formula relating n to [tex]\lambda[/tex] and since nwater>nair therefore the wavelength in water is less than wavelength in air...I also confirmed this since i remember a salesman at a scuba/snorkeling place trying to convince me that i should buy a red lensed mask because red light is as he said "absorbed by water" well seeing as red is higher in the visible spectrum if he wasn't just blowing smoke up my rear end then wavelength of light in water must be less than that of air
3. Easy peasy lemon squeezey... less than
-nwater>nair there for vwater<vair

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You got 1 correct. Think about a wave on a string. If at the boundary between two strings of different density you have different frequencies that would mean there are times when there should be some sort of jump discontinuity between the strings. That obviously doesn't make sense.

The scuba mask story doesn't really pertain to question 2. I think divers use red tinted masks because red light is the first to be absorbed when diving. Really to answer number two you have to realize that the speed of light decreases in water and the frequency stays the same so the wavelength must decrease.

well regardless if the scuba story is pertinent... [tex]\lambda[/tex]water<[tex]\lambda[/tex]air aka the answer I put is correct?

jimmybagz said:
well regardless if the scuba story is pertinent... [tex]\lambda[/tex]water<[tex]\lambda[/tex]air aka the answer I put is correct?

Yeah. That is what I said...

cool well thanks that's what I needed

Related to Just finished my phy 2 midterm 3

1. What topics were covered on the phy 2 midterm 3?

The phy 2 midterm 3 most likely covered topics related to electricity and magnetism, such as Coulomb's law, electric fields, circuits, and magnetic fields.

2. How difficult was the phy 2 midterm 3?

The difficulty of the phy 2 midterm 3 may vary depending on the individual student's understanding and preparation. However, it is common for physics exams to be challenging and require a strong understanding of the concepts.

3. How can I prepare for the phy 2 midterm 3?

To prepare for the phy 2 midterm 3, it is important to review class notes, practice problems, and any study materials provided by the instructor. It is also helpful to engage in active learning techniques, such as solving problems and explaining concepts to others.

4. Are there any resources available to help me study for the phy 2 midterm 3?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you study for the phy 2 midterm 3. You can seek help from your instructor or teaching assistant, join a study group, or utilize online resources such as practice problems, videos, and interactive simulations.

5. When will I receive my grade for the phy 2 midterm 3?

The timing of when you will receive your grade for the phy 2 midterm 3 may vary depending on your instructor's grading process. It is best to check with your instructor or syllabus for specific information on when grades will be released.