Just finished my first Physics exam, Bus braking Problem

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of forces involved when a bus suddenly stops and makes a person lean forward. The options were kinetic friction, static friction, the normal force, and no force. The individual ultimately chose static friction due to the initial deceleration and lagging force pushing them forward. The test was described as hard but fair.
rexexdesign

Homework Statement

I just took the test, but I can't remember the question word for word, it was along these lines though: You are standing on bus. It suddenly brakes what is the force that makes you lean forward?
A: Kinetic friction of your shoes on the bus floor
B: Static friction of your shoes on the bus floor
C: The normal force of the bus floor on you
D: No Force

Homework Equations

Concept question

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking B or C, I finally chose B, because wouldn't the normal force still be directed upward? I eliminated A, because my feet are not moving, but the static friction is holding me in place, yet I am leaning forward.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I would go with static friction. I would assume the "falling foreward" is present because initially there is a decelleration due to the bus stopping, and hence a force is developed by the person on the bus to oppose this. Once the bus is fully stopped, this force may lag behind and hence push one foreward.

sandy.bridge said:
Yes, I would go with static friction. I would assume the "falling foreward" is present because initially there is a decelleration due to the bus stopping, and hence a force is developed by the person on the bus to oppose this. Once the bus is fully stopped, this force may lag behind and hence push one foreward.

Thank you for your insight! The test was hard, but fair, I can't wait to get the results.

Related to Just finished my first Physics exam, Bus braking Problem

1. What is the Bus Braking Problem?

The Bus Braking Problem is a common physics problem that involves calculating the distance a bus will travel before coming to a complete stop, given its initial speed and deceleration rate.

2. How do I approach solving the Bus Braking Problem?

The first step in solving the Bus Braking Problem is to identify the given values, such as the initial speed of the bus and the deceleration rate. Then, you can use the formula d = (v^2)/2a to calculate the distance the bus will travel before stopping.

3. What units should I use when solving the Bus Braking Problem?

When solving the Bus Braking Problem, it is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation. Typically, meters and seconds are used for distance and time, respectively. However, it is important to check the given values and adjust the units accordingly.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving the Bus Braking Problem?

One common mistake when solving the Bus Braking Problem is forgetting to convert units. Another mistake is not paying attention to the direction of the initial velocity, which can result in a negative distance.

5. How can I use the Bus Braking Problem in real life applications?

The Bus Braking Problem can be used in real life applications to determine the stopping distance of a bus in an emergency situation. This information can be useful for bus drivers and transportation planners to ensure the safety of passengers and pedestrians.