Just accepted my first real job

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, Adam accepted a job with a Qualcomm in Boulder, CO, which will provide him with a significant increase in income. He's also been busy writing thank-you cards and upgrading his account.
KingNothing
Just accepted my first "real" job!

I'm not generally one to too my own horn, so this is pretty awkward for me, but I figured I'd let you all know that a big thing has happened in my life - I just accepted my true dream job. I will be working on different embedded system architectures for different smart phones and portable devices. I just have an overwhelming feeling of "I did it" right now.

The compensation is several times greater than my family has ever had combined. I spent a large part of my childhood going from shelter to shelter, and I am just overwhelmed to see that my parents actually have a home now, and I will be financially able to help my niece and nephew have the things they need.

I've been writing thank-you cards to everyone who helped me big and small; professors, co-workers, mentors, etc. Consider this your thank-you card. Really, thanks. I appreciate all the help and good chat. I also purchased an account upgrade - cause let's be honest, money talks :wink:. I don't want an avatar or anything, I actually don't really care for the "contributor" badge, but I thought the time was right to do something.

Peace and love.

-Adam

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

KingNothing said:
I'm not generally one to too my own horn, so this is pretty awkward for me, but I figured I'd let you all know that a big thing has happened in my life - I just accepted my true dream job with Qualcomm in Boulder, CO. I will be working on different embedded system architectures for different smart phones and portable devices. I just have an overwhelming feeling of "I did it" right now.

The compensation is several times greater than my family has ever had combined. I spent a large part of my childhood going from shelter to shelter, and I am just overwhelmed to see that my parents actually have a home now, and I will be financially able to help my niece and nephew have the things they need.

I've been writing thank-you cards to everyone who helped me big and small; professors, co-workers, mentors, etc. Consider this your thank-you card. Really, thanks. I appreciate all the help and good chat. I also purchased an account upgrade - cause let's be honest, money talks :wink:. I don't want an avatar or anything, I actually don't really care for the "contributor" badge, but I thought the time was right to do something.

Peace and love.

-Adam

Congratulations, that is great to hear.

I hope you do well, keep learning, and gain the rewards from your hard work.

One piece of advice though: keep hungry. Keep the attitude that you had before in the sense that you will stay "hungry" like you did before. Don't let yourself go now that you are in the position you are in: keep the same mental attitude that you had the past all the way up until now when you got your job offer. I guarantee you will do well if you stick by this principle.

Again, I wish you the best for what future comes to you.

Congratulations! Wonderful news.

Congratulations! It's an amazing place!(P.S. I noticed people generally don't talk about the company they work for. OP could you please reevaluate the consequences of disclosing the personal information.)

Great news. good luck! and congratulations!

congrats! may you also get a window!

rootX said:
Congratulations! It's an amazing place!

(P.S. I noticed people generally don't talk about the company they work for. OP could you please reevaluate the consequences of disclosing the personal information.)

What exactly should I be concerned about?

KingNothing said:
I'm not generally one to too my own horn, so this is pretty awkward for me, but I figured I'd let you all know that a big thing has happened in my life - I just accepted my true dream job. I will be working on different embedded system architectures for different smart phones and portable devices. I just have an overwhelming feeling of "I did it" right now.

Nothing wrong with tooting when it's deserved. Here, I'll help you. [PLAIN]http://www.careerrocketeer.com/wp-content/uploads/Toot-Your-Horn.jpg
I also purchased an account upgrade - cause let's be honest, money talks :wink:. I don't want an avatar or anything, I actually don't really care for the "contributor" badge, but I thought the time was right to do something.

What? But you look so good in gold. Be proud my man. And by all means, you need an avatar. Let me suggest this one.
[URL]http://ih1.redbubble.net/work.2685047.3.flat,550x550,075,f.king-nothing.jpg[/URL]

Congratulations. And thanks for letting your PF family know.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's very touching when someone achieves success through their hard work and dilligence, yet they thank others. It really makes me proud of the type of people we have on this forum.

Woah King, what great news! We are very proud of you, a great achievement.

Evo said:
It's very touching when someone achieves success through their hard work and dilligence, yet they thank others. It really makes me proud of the type of people we have on this forum.
I couldn't have said it better than Evo did, outstanding, simply outstanding... You just made my day. You SHOULD be proud.

Rhody... :biggrin:

KingNothing said:
...embedded system architectures for different smart phones and portable devices...

Welcome to the industry!

If you don't toot tour horn, how will anyone know?!

Congrats!

Congrats, KingNothing! This thread made me happy :smile:.

KingNothing said:
Congratulations, Adam. You earned it. I hope you love your new job.

KingNothing said:
What exactly should I be concerned about?

anything stupid you might have said here in the past or future.

anything intelligent that might be taken the wrong way.

What is the best way to prepare for my first real job?

The best way to prepare for your first real job is to research the company and its culture, familiarize yourself with the job description and responsibilities, and practice your interview skills. It is also important to have a positive attitude, be open to learning, and have a strong work ethic.

What should I expect in terms of salary and benefits for my first real job?

Salary and benefits can vary depending on the company and the position. It is important to research the industry standards and to negotiate for fair compensation. Some common benefits to look for include health insurance, retirement plans, and paid time off.

How can I make a good impression during my first few weeks on the job?

To make a good impression during your first few weeks on the job, it is important to be punctual, dress professionally, and communicate effectively with your colleagues. It is also helpful to ask questions, take initiative, and show enthusiasm for your work.

What are some important skills to have for a successful first real job?

Some important skills to have for a successful first real job include time management, communication, problem-solving, and adaptability. It is also important to have a positive attitude, be a team player, and continuously seek opportunities for growth and development.

What should I do if I am not satisfied with my first real job?

If you are not satisfied with your first real job, it is important to communicate your concerns with your supervisor or HR department. They may be able to provide support or address any issues you may have. If the job is not a good fit for you, it is okay to explore other opportunities and make a career change.