Just a simple thought experiment

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of work done when pushing against a stationary object and how it relates to feeling tired. The example of an electro-hydraulic piston is used to demonstrate the transfer of energy and the role of muscles in exerting force. The conversation concludes with the idea that even when muscles are not visibly moving, they are still using energy and can lead to exhaustion.
Fifty
When I first learned the Work-Energy Theorem, I was a little confused. After all, it implied that no work was done when you push against a wall that doesn't move, but I know that I still feel tired after pushing against a wall.

So, suppose you have an electro-hydraulic piston bolted to the ground near a wall. When you turn it on, nothing moves. Surely, the piston won't keep applying the force forever (not all the electric energy will be transferred. I.e. the piston is not doing work, but since the piston will eventually die, where does the energy go? I tried this thought experiment with a car pushing on a wall, but concluded that the chemical energy from the gasoline gets converted into the kinetic energy of the wheels and noise + heat created by the wheelspin.

I can't find the answer to the piston problem, and I figure this is more similar to my arm pushing on the wall. Perhaps it's just that I don't understand how they work :P

Physics news on Phys.org
Be a little more old-fashioned and think of holding up a big pile of books in front of a bookshelf. You get pretty exhausted pretty quickly. Shove them on the shelf and presto: the weight is carried by the shelf that doesn't get tired, ever.
Your fancy piston clouds the issue. Levers, weights and pulleys and such are complicated enough already.
You are right re the car experiment.

So then the question "why do we get tired" is the question I should be asking... I'm getting the idea that the answer isn't physics related. Do you know the answer? Perhaps my biology teacher could answer tomorrow :P

Excellent idea. I'm a physicist and I have a hard time understanding it, let alone explain it!

There's no work being done on the wall, because its not moving, rather the work that's being done is inside your body. i.e. your muscles..

MostlyHarmless said:
There's no work being done on the wall, because its not moving, rather the work that's being done is inside your body. i.e. your muscles..
Hmm, this actually makes sense. I remember something in early general science courses about muscles expanding and contracting to move. Not just through the length of a joint, but laterally as well.

I'm no biologist, but I don't think your muscles actually have to be moving in order for you to use energy, just keeping them flexed and exerting a force is enough to tire you out.

Related to Just a simple thought experiment

1. What is a thought experiment?

A thought experiment is a mental exercise or hypothetical scenario used to explore and understand complex concepts or theories. It allows scientists to think beyond the limitations of physical experiments and can lead to new insights and discoveries.

2. How are thought experiments used in science?

Thought experiments are often used to test the validity of scientific theories and to generate new ideas for research. They also allow scientists to explore scenarios that are not possible to replicate in real life, such as traveling at the speed of light or existing in multiple dimensions.

3. Can thought experiments be proven or disproven?

No, thought experiments cannot be proven or disproven in the same way that a physical experiment can. However, they can provide evidence for or against a theory and can lead to further research and experimentation.

4. Are thought experiments only used in theoretical sciences?

No, thought experiments can be used in all fields of science, including theoretical and experimental sciences. They are a valuable tool for exploring and understanding complex concepts and theories in any scientific discipline.

5. Are thought experiments the same as theoretical models?

No, thought experiments and theoretical models are not the same. A thought experiment is a mental exercise, while a theoretical model is a mathematical or conceptual representation of a real-world phenomenon. Thought experiments can be used to generate theoretical models, but they are not the same thing.