Just a quick confirmation-possible angular momentum states of rotator.

In summary, the conversation is about a person's question regarding part 2a of their homework. They have the wavefunction in terms of spherical harmonics, but need help understanding how to calculate possible states and probabilities. They also mention being paranoid about getting the correct answer and have already turned in the homework.
intelwanderer

Homework Statement

Wow, the site looks way different from when I was last here. Nice job to whoever did this!

Now, to business...

My question pertains to part 2a of the HW. I've gotten the wavefunction in terms of the spherical harmonics, but I need help bringing it on home, so to speak. My question are pretty stupid actually. When you get the wavefunction(it's already normalized, or so I think), is the possible states just that-the wavefunction, or do you multiply by the eigenvalue of Lz? And the probabilities... do you integrate the whole wavefunction squared with the spherical harmonics, or just the front coefficient squared?

Thank you for your time.

https://courses.utexas.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-5341865-dt-content-rid-23947515_1/courses/2013_spring_58640_PHY_373/hmwrk7.pdf

Homework Equations

Irrelevent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the answers to each case already, I just need to know which case is right. I'm probably being overly paranoid, but...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The link is not accessible from the outside world.

Well, it doesn't really matter now anyway, I turned in the homework several hours ago.

Related to Just a quick confirmation-possible angular momentum states of rotator.

1. What is angular momentum in the context of a rotator?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion around a fixed point. In the case of a rotator, it refers to the rotational motion of the object around its own axis.

2. How many possible states of angular momentum are there for a rotator?

The number of possible states of angular momentum for a rotator depends on the quantum number, which describes the energy level of the system. For a given quantum number, there are 2l+1 possible states, where l is the orbital angular momentum quantum number.

3. What affects the angular momentum states of a rotator?

The angular momentum states of a rotator are affected by the shape, size, and mass distribution of the object. These factors determine the moment of inertia, which is a key component of angular momentum.

4. How are the angular momentum states of a rotator quantized?

The angular momentum states of a rotator are quantized because of the discrete energy levels allowed for the system. This means that the angular momentum can only have certain, specific values rather than any value within a continuous range.

5. What is the significance of angular momentum states in the study of rotational motion?

The angular momentum states of a rotator are significant because they provide a way to describe and understand the rotational motion of an object. They also play a crucial role in many physical phenomena, including the stability of rotating bodies and the behavior of spinning particles.