Just a question about the tangent basis

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of tangent vectors and tangent spaces in the context of differentiable manifolds. The main points include the use of parametrized curves to define directions at a point on a manifold, the association of the set of all smooth real-valued functions on an open set with a vector space of linear operators, and the establishment of a coordinate basis for the tangent space using partial derivatives. The conversation also touches on the notation for position vectors and the importance of defining an appropriate inner product for the tangent space.
etotheipi
I was reading these notes and then on page 23 I saw something a bit weird. Back in this thread I learned that ##\{ \partial_i \}## form a basis of ##T_p M##, and that a tangent vector can be written ##X = X^i \partial_i##, and it's not too difficult to show that components transform like ##\bar{X}^j = \frac{\partial \bar{x}^j}{\partial x^i} X^i##. But this guy says that

1600791887772.png

The most alarming part of that is that he seems to suggest that ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}## is just shorthand/notation for ##\frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial x^i}##. That seems quite wrong, since I thought the operators ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}## are basis vectors already, in their own right. And ##\partial_i## and ##\partial_i \vec{x}## are completely different objects. Plus, the base space is not even necessarily a vector space, in which case I thought the position vector ##\vec{x}## is not even defined!

So I wondered if this section is wrong, or if I am missing something 😁. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes JD_PM
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that ##\vec x = (x^1, x^2, \dots , x^n)## is slightly loose notation, as this is more the coordinates than a vector. But, I'd say ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^1}## is definitely shorthand for fixing all other coordinates and letting only ##x^1## vary.

The transition to treating ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^1}## as a vector, however you define it, is by identifying a basis vector with this and then the key ingredient is to define an inner product by making the inner product of your basis vectors dependent on the metric.

Effectively what you have done - when all is said and done - is simply defined a tangent space with an appropriate inner product. How precisely you relate that back to the manifold is not actually that important.

PS I mean the precise justification is not important. You obviously have to get precisely the right inner product on your tangent space.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
I thought the operators ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}## are basis vectors already, in their own right.

They are if you use the one-to-one correspondence between vectors and directional derivative operators, and treat ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}## as the directional derivative operator along the "coordinate grid" curve on which only ##x^i## changes and all other coordinates are constant. I think that's what this author is referring to when he says that ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}## are "the velocity vectors of the coordinate lines". I agree he is fudging somewhat when he appears to treat the n-tuple of coordinates as a vector.

Likes etotheipi
Ah, okay, I think I get it. He's writing coordinate basis of ##T_p \mathbb{R}^n##. I think I was getting confused because in a Euclidean space, where a position vector makes sense, sometimes it's written$$\vec{E}_a = \frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial y^a} = \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial y^a} \vec{e}_i$$where the ##\vec{e}_i## are a Cartesian set. But that's a different usage of the symbol ##\vec{x}## to what he's doing here. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Funnily enough, I found another version of these same notes, and they've gotten rid of the confusing shorthand:

https://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/theodore.voronov/Teaching/Differentiable%20Manifolds/2018-2019/4-tangent-vectors.pdf

This is a lot better, because ##\frac{\partial \mathbf{x}}{\partial x^i}## is a tuple in ##\mathbb{R}^n##. The weird shorthand ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}## would have you believe that it's actually a derivative, or an operator, which is a bit silly.

Anyway, I think I'm done for today. Thanks for helping!

etotheipi said:
Ah, okay, I think I get it. He's writing coordinate basis of ##T_p \mathbb{R}^n##. I think I was getting confused because in a Euclidean space, where a position vector makes sense, sometimes it's written$$\vec{E}_a = \frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial y^a} = \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial y^a} \vec{e}_i$$where the ##\vec{e}_i## are a Cartesian set. But that's a different usage of the symbol ##\vec{x}## to what he's doing here. Thanks!
I wouldn't use ##\vec{x}## as a notation for ##x^{\mu}##, because in GR these are not components of a vector but just the coordinates (of a local chart).

Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
I'm working through Gravity and Geometry by Sean Carroll. Here is my summary of the tangent space as he presents it.

Consider the set of all parametrised curves thru a point ##p## in a manifold, ##M##. Note that:
  • Each curve itself is a geometric object, which will be used to define/identify a direction at ##p##; and,
  • Each specific parameterisation of the curve is associated with a magnitude of rate of change of the curve at ##p##
  • Together these will be associated with a local vector at ##p##.
Note: as ##M## is a manifold, we have ##p \in U##, for some open set ##U## and at least one coordinate chart (a 1-1 mapping of ##U## into ##\mathbb{R}^n##). We may use this mapping to associate functions and derivatives of real-valued functions on ##U## with functions on ##\mathbb{R}^n##. It would get cluttered to include all these mappings, so we assume that everything works via mappings backwards and forwards from ##M## to ##\mathbb{R}^n## where required.

Suppose we have a curve, ##C##, parametrised by ##\lambda## and a smooth real-valued function ##f## on ##M##. We can define a (total) derivative of ##f## with respect to this curve by:
$$\frac{df}{d\lambda} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^{\mu}} \frac{dx^{\mu}}{d \lambda}$$
Note that this is coordinate independent (easy to check) and hence well defined.

Now, we consider the set ##F## of all smooth real-valued functions on ##U##. And we see that ##C[\lambda]## is a linear operator/functional on ##F##:
$$C[\lambda](f) = \frac{df}{d\lambda}$$
Moreover, the set of all parameterised curves is a vector space of linear operators on ##F##. This is fairly easy to check.

The tangent space ##T_p## is then associated with this space of linear operators ##C[\lambda]##.

Next, given a coordinate chart, we want to establish the coordinate basis for ##T_p##. First, note that the partial derivatives ##\partial_{\mu} = \frac{\partial }{\partial x^{\mu}}## are themselves in ##T_p##. It's easy to find a simple parametrisation of a curve for which ##C[\lambda](f) = \partial_{\mu}f##. Not surprisingly, these operators will be our coordinate basis. Then any vector ##V \in T_p## has the representation in the coordinate basis:
$$C[\lambda] = V = V^{\mu}e_{\mu} = \frac{dx^{\mu}}{d \lambda}\partial_{\mu}$$
In summary:
  • Parameterised curves in ##M## are associated with linear operators (on the space of smooth real-valued functions on ##M##) are associated with vectors in the tangent space
  • Given any coordinate chart, the coordinate partial derivatives form a basis (of linear operators); and,
  • The components are the derivatives of the coordinates with respect to the specific parameter
If we tried to dot the mathematical i's and cross the t's, we'd get bogged down in mappings going back and forth. In any case, Carroll presents a solid mathematical foundation for the tangent space.

Note: the ##C[\lambda]## is my notation.

Likes etotheipi and vanhees71

Related to Just a question about the tangent basis

What is the tangent basis?

The tangent basis is a set of vectors that form a basis for the tangent space of a given point on a surface or curve. It is used in differential geometry and computer graphics to represent the local orientation of a surface or curve.

How is the tangent basis calculated?

The tangent basis is typically calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the surface or curve at a given point and using them to form a set of basis vectors. These vectors are then normalized to ensure they are of unit length.

What is the significance of the tangent basis?

The tangent basis is important because it allows us to calculate the normal vector of a surface or curve at a given point, which is essential for many applications in physics, computer graphics, and engineering.

Can the tangent basis change at different points on a surface or curve?

Yes, the tangent basis can change at different points on a surface or curve. This is because the orientation and curvature of the surface or curve can vary at different points, resulting in different tangent vectors.

How is the tangent basis used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, the tangent basis is used to calculate the surface normal at each pixel on a 3D model. This allows for the rendering of realistic lighting and shading effects on the surface of the model.