Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Just a nobody-student

daigo

Jun 27, 2012
Hi, I am a freshman in college who has considered becoming a math major but since has strong reconsidered it and will probably move further into the sciences such as physics or chemistry. But nonetheless I wish to learn about upper-level maths even if my major does not require it. Another reason why I've also reconsidered being a maths major is because I'm not very good at it and so I'm not sure I'll do well in the graduate courses either. But I think I may be able to keep up with the basic Calculus/Linear Algebra/Differential Equations/ODE/PDE/Complex Analysis/Abstract Algebra/Fourier Series required to do well in my physics-based courses (hopefully). I put way too much effort into studying maths (10-12 hours every day) to give up on it just because I have trouble with the simplest Algebra, so I will keep studying and trying to understand mathematics!

SuperSonic4

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
Best of luck, it seems that the more complicated things one learns the more of the basics is forgotten! It's good you wish to continue learning about maths though especially if you wish to pursue a course in physics or engineering as well as being useful in pretty much anything.
If you have any questions by all means post them although perhaps 10-12 hours per day is a little too much to devote to studying. Life is so much more than just studying and sleeping

daigo

Jun 27, 2012
Well I understand to some, they have other hobbies or interests they like to pursue but I really enjoy learning maths/sciences so those are basically my "fun" activities that I enjoy. I don't really like anything else much

Kamykazee

Jul 7, 2012
Hello and welcome daigo! I wish you the best of fun in your mathematics pursuits and i also wanted to say that we appear to be in similar situations with the knowledge gaps, although it could be for completely different reasons, ofcourse! :p

daigo

Jun 27, 2012
Thank you