Why Is Deceleration on Landing More Than Just Gravity?

• Thread starter yjstudent
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to estimate the deceleration when jumping off a boulder and landing on the ground. It is clarified that the question is asking for deceleration, not acceleration, and that the final velocity is 0. The concept of v0 and t is also discussed, with the conclusion that v0 is the velocity just before impact and can be calculated using energy conservation or kinematics. The final estimate for deceleration is -29m/s2.
yjstudent
1. You jump from the top of a boulder to the ground 1.5m below. Estimate your deceleration on landing.

2. v = v0 + at, x = x0 + v0t + 0.5at^2, v^2 = v0^2 + 2a(x-x0)

3. I initially thought that it was gravity (-9.8 m/s) but it's not the answer. I also tried making v into 0 and solving for v0 but it ends up wrong too.

I don't understand why it isn't just gravity..is this not a free fall? I'm going crazy..please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
9.8m/s^2 seems right though. What was the answer given?

Gravity is your acceleration during the fall. This problem is asking for your deceleration when you land. To answer that, you need to know two things: how fast were you going when you hit, and how long did it take you to stop?

Free fall while falling, but the question is about on landing. When you land, you experience a large acceleration upwards
EDIT: Aimless made a similar comment to mine

How do you solve when you don't know v0 and t? Would you still set x to 1.5?

The answer given is -29m/s^2.

Why don't you know v0? What is v0? How would you go about calculating it?

Why don't you know t? Can you estimate it?

Set [itex] x-x_o = -1.5, [/itex] if you define downwards as negative.

...I have no idea...I guess you don't know v0 because you are jumping?

You miss the point of my question. v0 is a velocity, but where are you measuring that velocity? What is the physical meaning of v0?

Physics problems are all about how you translate from the description of the problem into the mathematical quantities you are trying to solve, so before you start plugging things into equations you have to get straight in your head exactly what the physical meaning of each quantity is.

In this case, we are trying to calculate a deceleration. Our final velocity is after landing, so what is it? In order to decelerate, we must have had some velocity to begin with. Where did that velocity come from?

I guess the v0 would be the velocity during the falling..so how fast the person is falling and the final velocity would be 0 because the person has landed.

Almost, but not quite. v0 is actually the velocity at the end of the fall, just before impact (just prior to the start of the deceleration). Given that, how would you go about computing v0?

You are correct that the final velocity is 0.

I guess you could divide 1.5 by the time it takes to reach the end of the fall...?

Dividing 1.5 by the time to reach the ground will give you the persons average velocity. You want the velocity prior to the impact with the ground.
You can determine this by energy conservation or by using the kinematic relations.

If we estimate that your height will be less 0.5m(1/4 of estimate height of 2m) when finally stop.
We assume this value where you have to bend to soften the landing.
We use this value as distance traveled in deceleration motion.

v2=2g(1.5)
For deceleration
-2g(1.5)=2a(0.5)

Estimate
a=-29m/s2

A typical bend in your legs when you touch the ground is about the 0.5m mark that azizlwl mentioned. Using either energy conservation or kinematics to determine the velocity before impact gives [itex]v_o, [/itex] you know [itex] v_f, [/itex] and [itex] s [/itex] here is the 0.5m. Solving for a will yield an estimated -29m/s2.

1. Can jumping off a boulder cause injury?

Yes, jumping off a boulder can definitely cause injury. The height of the boulder, the surface you land on, and how you land can all impact the severity of the injury. It is important to assess the situation and take precautions to ensure your safety.

2. What factors should be considered before jumping off a boulder?

Before jumping off a boulder, you should consider the height of the boulder, the surface you will be landing on, your physical abilities and limitations, and any potential hazards in the surrounding area. It is important to carefully evaluate the situation and make an informed decision.

3. Is there a safe way to jump off a boulder?

There is no completely safe way to jump off a boulder, as it always carries some level of risk. However, you can minimize the risk by taking precautions such as wearing proper footwear, assessing the landing area, and using proper jumping techniques.

4. What are the potential dangers of jumping off a boulder?

The potential dangers of jumping off a boulder include fall-related injuries, such as sprains, fractures, and head injuries. There is also a risk of landing on uneven or unstable surfaces, which can lead to further injuries. Additionally, there may be hidden hazards in the surrounding area that could cause harm.

5. Are there any benefits to jumping off a boulder?

Jumping off a boulder can be a fun and exhilarating activity, and it can also provide a physical and mental challenge. It can also improve balance, coordination, and overall fitness. However, it is important to carefully consider the risks and take necessary precautions before attempting to jump off a boulder.