Rolling ball physics in 2D, how?

In summary: I would recommend finding a good physics book and trying to understand it on your own before asking for help.In summary, the user wants to create a dynamic animation of a ball rolling down a ramp. They need to input the mass, friction, gravity, and initial speed of the ball. The ball has an initial speed, but the user wants to assume that the ball has significant enough size that they don't need to consider angular energy. They need to work in energy and include kinetic, potential, inertial, and friction. If they are going to make the ball spin, they might want to leave it out.
C.T.
Im creating a little dynamic animation of a ball rolling seen from straight above. I would like the user to input the mass, friction, gravity and initial speed of the rolling ball.

I wonder how i can simulate this pretty accurate to real world.

The ball is rolling on a straight line, the x axis, and the animation is running at 60 frames per second.

I have gravity (9.81), friction, mass (kg), and initial speed (km/h).

To animate this i need the distance the ball have travelled, measured in pixel (lets say 10 pixel = 1 cm for the example), in 1/60 second (because of 60 fps) to add on ball.x (the balls position).

So, what is the formula to get distance traveled in pixels with given initial speed, mass, friction and gravity? (in case the user wants to simulate ballrolling on Pluto :tongue: )

Hope this made sense :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Describe the ramp that it's rolling down. Is it a straight incline?

cookiemonster

Yes there's no curve, i was thinking only 100% flat, but to add on a degree for straight incline, where the ball could roll back again could be fun :)

I thought originally that the ball had an initial speed for starting speed.

Now do you want to assume the ball has significant enough size that you need to consider angular energy, as well? Or would you prefer to assume that it is a point particle so you can disregard angular stuff?

The first is more accurate whereas the second is simpler, but only really an upper bound.

cookiemonster

hmm angular energy, on a ball? I am not quiet with you, but in the basics, its defined by one point on the x axis, so that is enough.

The question is do you want a rolling motion or sliding? If the ball is rolling to get a decent simulation you will need to account for the Moment of Inertia of the ball and the fact that the rolling ball has angular momentum.

Aha, i get it. I guess the Inertia should be in.. but i don't really understand the physics behind it. What determines the Intertia?

The distribution of mass.

See, we're just running around asking questions you'd never have thought about and not actually helping you. Sorry about that. =\

cookiemonster

Moment of inertia is determined by geometry. For a sphere

[tex] I= \frac 2 5 mr^2 [/tex]

You may want to find a Physic is text (Haliday and Resnick for example). This will guide you to a good solution to your problem. I recommend finding a complete solution in meters then covert to pixels only when it is time to plot on the screen.

If I were you, I would work in energy. Ball starts out with some energy 'E'. This will be only potential grav energy if it starts at rest on top of the ramp. Could be both is you have an initial speed. Anyways, you can just sent up energy equations. This will make it easy to include Kinetic, Potential, Inertial, friction and so on. If you are going to make the ball spin and you haven't really worked with that subject before then you might want to leave it out. It could get a little tricky putting in spin with friction cause friction won't be sliding, it will be spinning. A few years ago in high school I spent a lot of time messing around wihjt physics in my comp sci class so i have been in the position you are in now.

1. How does the mass of the ball affect its rolling speed?

The mass of the ball has a direct impact on its rolling speed. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that a heavier ball will require more force to accelerate and therefore will roll slower than a lighter ball.

2. How does the surface on which the ball is rolling affect its motion?

The surface on which the ball is rolling can greatly impact its motion. A smooth and flat surface will allow the ball to roll smoothly with minimal friction, resulting in a longer and faster roll. On the other hand, a rough or uneven surface will create more friction, slowing down the ball's motion and potentially changing its direction.

3. What role does gravity play in the rolling ball physics?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the rolling ball physics. It is the force that pulls the ball towards the ground, causing it to accelerate and gain speed as it rolls. The steeper the slope of the surface, the greater the acceleration due to gravity and the faster the ball will roll.

4. How does the shape of the ball affect its rolling motion?

The shape of the ball can also impact its rolling motion. A perfectly spherical ball will have a consistent and predictable roll, while a non-spherical ball may have an uneven or unpredictable roll. This is because the shape of the ball can affect the distribution of mass and the points of contact with the surface, which can alter the forces acting on the ball.

5. What factors can cause a ball to stop rolling?

There are several factors that can cause a ball to stop rolling. Friction from the surface, air resistance, and collisions with other objects can all slow down and eventually stop the motion of a rolling ball. Additionally, the ball's own inertia can also cause it to slow down and eventually stop if there is no external force acting on it.