Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

July 29th,2012 update (vBSEO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

I shut down the forum for a few hours today to work with a coder on installing and optimizing software that will help improve our search engine ranking. Most of these changes will be on the back end but you might notice a couple changes.

1) URLs: They use a slightly different format now but all of the old ones will redirect to the new format without any issues.

2) The THANKS system: Ok, here's the big change. We've all used the THANKS system for a while and it's great but now we have a much more efficient system in terms of finding quality posts. In order to enable this I had to disable both the THANKS system and the reputation system. This means that no one will have little green dots after their username :( You also shouldn't look look in your User Control Panel anymore for reputation received.

We are using a Likes system now. When someone likes your post you will receive a notification just like you would when someone private messages you. By going to anyone's profile you may see how many Likes that member has given and received, and the number of Likes received is displayed when you make a post.

The biggest change in this new system is the tree structure of the Likes. For example when you go to this thread you will see a heart button on the top right-hand side and when you click it you can browse through all of the likes given in the thread as well as preview the post. For threads that become more than 2-3 pages this will help you quickly locate the most liked posts which are most likely to be the highest quality.

Of course there are bound to be some issues here and there but right now there are no major ones. If you find a problem please let us know in this thread. Like I said earlier most of the changes are on the back end of the site and not visible but should help us out greatly.

MHB Staff

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Re: July 29th,2012 update

Hi everyone,

I shut down the forum for a few hours today to work with a coder on installing and optimizing software that will help improve our search engine ranking. Most of these changes will be on the back end but you might notice a couple changes.

1) URLs: They use a slightly different format now but all of the old ones will redirect to the new format without any issues.

2) The THANKS system: Ok, here's the big change. We've all used the THANKS system for a while and it's great but now we have a much more efficient system in terms of finding quality posts. In order to enable this I had to disable both the THANKS system and the reputation system. This means that no one will have little green dots after their username :( You also shouldn't look look in your User Control Panel anymore for reputation received.

We are using a Likes system now. When someone likes your post you will receive a notification just like you would when someone private messages you. By going to anyone's profile you may see how many Likes that member has given and received, and the number of Likes received is displayed when you make a post.

The biggest change in this new system is the tree structure of the Likes. For example when you go to this thread you will see a heart button on the top right-hand side and when you click it you can browse through all of the likes given in the thread as well as preview the post. For threads that become more than 2-3 pages this will help you quickly locate the most liked posts which are most likely to be the highest quality.

Of course there are bound to be some issues here and there but right now there are no major ones. If you find a problem please let us know in this thread. Like I said earlier most of the changes are on the back end of the site and not visible but should help us out greatly.

MHB Staff
Hi Jameson, :)

It seems to me that there is also a new thread tool called "Link Back". :)

On the page "About Link backs" there are three options called, Trackbacks, Pingbacks and Refbacks. These three seem to have a minor issue 'cause when you click on them you are redirected to the homepage instead of the corresponding description.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Last edited:
  • Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Nice catch and I'm getting the same error. I'll look into it.

Thanks Sudharaka :)

BAdhi

May 27, 2012

[COLOR=#3E3E3E said:
Jameson[/COLOR]]2) The THANKS system: Ok, here's the big change. We've all used the THANKS system for a while and it's great but now we have a much more efficient system in terms of finding quality posts. In order to enable this I had to disable both the THANKS system and the reputation system. This means that no one will have little green dots after their username :( You also shouldn't look look in your User Control Panel anymore for reputation received.
It seems like some people need some editing to be done in their signatures (Wink).

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

If you're going to have the number of times someone has been liked posted in their posts, you should also have the number of times they've liked a post. I know many people seeking help don't want to be thought of as ungrateful.

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

If you're going to have the number of times someone has been liked posted in their posts, you should also have the number of times they've liked a post. I know many people seeking help don't want to be thought of as ungrateful.
I agree and will be working on this. Changing to this system was a tough choice because there are a lot of positives to the "thanks" system but the ability to quickly locate and preview all liked posts in a thread was the tipping factor. In the meantime, until we add this info to everyone's posts, you can locate the number of times someone has liked other posts as well as view the posts they liked in that member's profile. This was something you couldn't do for everyone under the old system.

Also, I'll make an offer that if we all give it a reasonable amount of time to try out (say until new year) and on the whole we really prefer the old "thanks" system then I will change it back.

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

It seems like some people need some editing to be done in their signatures (Wink).
Haha good point. I believe it is possible to change the word "Like" to "Thanks" so maybe it won't be necessary though. I'll ask our coder.

Status
Not open for further replies.