Find the Optimal Cut Point on a Hanging Thread

In summary, the most easy place to cut the thread would be at the top near the point where it is attached to the ceiling. This is because there is the greatest amount of tension on the thread at that point, making it easier to cut. This is assuming that higher tension means easier cutting, which is a fair assumption. Additionally, the top of the thread experiences the highest normal strain, causing it to elongate and become thinner, thus requiring less work to cut.
deepansu sharma
a weight is attatched midway to a thread which hangs vertically from a ceiling.another weight is attatched to the bottom end of the thread.where along the thread will it be most easy to cut and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your initial guess (and why)?

I would say at the top, near the point the thread is attached to the ceiling. Why?, because at that point there is the greatest amount of tension on the thread, which makes it easier to cut.
My thoughts anyway.

I would say that your initial guess is correct, because any part of the thread below the first weight does not experience tension from that weight.

This is assuming it is easier to cut if it is more tense, which I think is a fair assumption.

I would say anywhere between the ceiling and the first weight.
regarding the assumption of higher tension = easier to cut, I would agree; it would flex less as the cutting object pressed against it

The top of the thread due to it having the highest normal strain (change in shape and volume), the thread would elongate and become thinner allowing less work to be done to cut the thread.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of finding the optimal cut point on a hanging thread?

The purpose of finding the optimal cut point on a hanging thread is to determine the exact location on the thread where it will break under a specific weight or force. This information can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science.

2. How is the optimal cut point on a hanging thread determined?

The optimal cut point on a hanging thread is determined by conducting a series of experiments where different weights or forces are applied to the thread and its breaking point is recorded. This data is then analyzed to find the point where the thread consistently breaks under the specified weight or force.

3. What factors can affect the optimal cut point on a hanging thread?

There are several factors that can affect the optimal cut point on a hanging thread, including the material and thickness of the thread, the angle at which the force is applied, and the environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity. These factors should be controlled and accounted for in the experiments to ensure accurate results.

4. What are the applications of knowing the optimal cut point on a hanging thread?

Knowing the optimal cut point on a hanging thread can have various applications in different industries. For example, in engineering, this information can be used to determine the appropriate strength and length of cables or ropes for different structures. In physics, it can help understand the behavior and properties of different materials under tension. It can also aid in quality control and safety testing in manufacturing processes.

5. Can the optimal cut point on a hanging thread change over time?

Yes, the optimal cut point on a hanging thread can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, changes in environmental conditions, or even the aging of the material. Therefore, it is important to regularly test and update the optimal cut point to ensure accuracy in applications that rely on this information.