Journal publication - aim high?

In summary, your supervisor advises you to submit your work to journals with a "higher chance" of publication. He/she believes that the effects studied are not entirely new, but have potential implications for multiphase magnetohydrodynamic models. The journal for which you should submit your work depends on the content and impact of the work.
da_willem
I worked for a few months on simulating the magnetohydrodynamics of insulating spheres and found some novel relations and insights I have never seen in print during an extensive literature search. My supervisor advises to write one or two publications about this and I would be glad to, but for which journals?

I could submit a paper about the fundamentals, many nice pictures and obtained correlations to the 'journal of fluid mechanics' or 'physics of fluids' or the like. It would be great to publish in such a widespread journal but it has quite the chance of getting rejected and if I understand it corectly that would probably results in a few months delay / more rejections. Would it be better to submit to a bit more low profile journal?

As this would be my first publication, any suggestions, advise, tips, stories are welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should shoot for the highest journal for which you feel it has a "real" chance of publication. Your supervisor will give you the best guidance here and he/she is the one who probably knows the best in this circumstance.

Just because it is your first publication does not mean it has to be in a low profile journal. But the contents of the paper and its impact on the field along with the novelty of the research all will determine what journal is appropriate.

I definitely advice you to listen to your supervisor. He/she should have a feel for what each of the journals in your field expects, and the standards that each one of them are seeking for.

Remember, just because something is "interesting", it doesn't mean it is important. The prestigious journals require something new and interesting, but also important. Only your supervisor can have a wide-enough knowledge of the field to judge the degree of importance of your work to suit the appropriate journal.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Remember, just because something is "interesting", it doesn't mean it is important. The prestigious journals require something new and interesting, but also important. Only your supervisor can have a wide-enough knowledge of the field to judge the degree of importance of your work to suit the appropriate journal.

Zz.

Thanks for your feedback!

Given the fact that all of my references date from before the seventies the 'importance' might be not that high. The effects studied are not entirely new but can be better understood with the results of my simulations, also some of the fundamental principles behind them I never saw in papers.

However I feel that these effects should find their way into multiphase magnetohydrodynamic modelling. I did this for some application in metals processing and the results show some nice novel implications.

However I think people in the field of metals processing are not that interested in the fundamentals and theory of insulating spheres and simulations of metal processing devices don't belong in a more fundamental paper. So I would figure that two papers in different journals would be better. Do you agree?

Related to Journal publication - aim high?

What is the importance of aiming high when it comes to journal publication?

Aiming high in journal publication is important because it increases the chances of your research being recognized and cited by other researchers. This can lead to career advancement and funding opportunities.

How do I determine which journal to aim for?

When deciding which journal to aim for, consider the impact factor, scope, and audience of the journal. Look at similar publications in your field and see where they have been published. You can also consult with colleagues and mentors for their recommendations.

What can I do to increase my chances of getting published in a high-impact journal?

To increase your chances of getting published in a high-impact journal, make sure your research is innovative, well-written, and well-supported by data. It is also important to carefully follow the journal's submission guidelines and address any feedback from peer reviewers.

What are some common mistakes that researchers make when aiming high in journal publication?

Some common mistakes include submitting to journals outside of their field, not carefully following submission guidelines, and not addressing peer reviewer feedback. It is also important to avoid exaggerating or overhyping your research in order to fit the journal's expectations.

How can I maintain a balance between aiming high and being realistic in journal publication?

It is important to have high aspirations in journal publication, but it is also important to be realistic. Make sure your research is of high quality and relevant to the journal you are aiming for. If you receive feedback that your research may not be suitable for a high-impact journal, consider submitting to a reputable journal with a lower impact factor that is still well-respected in your field.