Joules converted to amp hours

In summary: The consequences of failure are far too great to rely on a theoretical formula.I just met a fellow who works in directional drilling. He has a problem when his dry cell lithium ion batteries die. It costs him $300,000 when it happens. What he needs to know is when to pull the batteries BEFORE this happens. These Double D cell batteries when connected, hold their 36 volts until the 3.2MJ are used up, then he gets an estimated .2 millivolt instantly.In summary, the directional drilling worker is looking for a way to determine when to replace his dry cell lithium ion batteries before they die, which costs him $300,000. The batteries hold 36 volts until 3.2MJ is used up
djkwolf
I just met a fellow who works in directional drilling. He has a problem when his dry cell lithium ion batteries die. It costs him $300,000 when it happens. What he needs to know is when to pull the batteries BEFORE this happens. These Double D cell batteries when connected, hold their 36 volts until the 3.2MJ are used up, then he gets an estimated .2 millivolt instantly.
I told him I knew a site that could tell us that for him.

SO...here is the question. He starts out with 3.2 MJ...the motor requires 1300 J/H to idle...pulses from his equipment cost 1282J every 6 seconds. How many amp hours does he have before it costs him? When should he pull the batteries for replacement or charge?

Is there a formula for this we can give him?

My personal interpretation of this equation is to mutiply the J/6 sec into hours and add to the hourly cost. Then divide into the 3.2 MJ for a time allowance. That was not his question though. Any takers?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Djkwolf.
I'm afraid that I can't help with your solution, but there are others here who can. I don't know what time zone you're in. It's coming up on 2:30 am here, and most respondents are in North America, so it might be a while before someone else gets back to you.
Now, I'm going to bed.

Thanks Danger!
I AM in Alberta, and it WAS after 2am that I posted.

djkwolf said:
I just met a fellow who works in directional drilling. He has a problem when his dry cell lithium ion batteries die. It costs him $300,000 when it happens. What he needs to know is when to pull the batteries BEFORE this happens. These Double D cell batteries when connected, hold their 36 volts until the 3.2MJ are used up, then he gets an estimated .2 millivolt instantly.
I told him I knew a site that could tell us that for him.

SO...here is the question. He starts out with 3.2 MJ...the motor requires 1300 J/H to idle...pulses from his equipment cost 1282J every 6 seconds. How many amp hours does he have before it costs him? When should he pull the batteries for replacement or charge?

Is there a formula for this we can give him?

My personal interpretation of this equation is to mutiply the J/6 sec into hours and add to the hourly cost. Then divide into the 3.2 MJ for a time allowance. That was not his question though. Any takers?

I'll take a stab at it, but I'm no electrical engineer. It appears to be all unit cancellation.

So first, covert all of your units so they're the same. So:
3.2 MJ = 3,200,000J
1282J/6s = 769,200J/h

Then you solution should be J/(J/h) = h
So your estimated run time should be:
3,200,000J / (1300J/h + 769,200J/h) = 4.15h = 4h 9m 11s

I hope this helps.

Perhaps he should invest in a totalising power meter.

since you are saying 'pulses', it would be prudent to have a safety margin ... what exactly do you mean by pulses per six seconds. is it a discharge or flash of some kind ?

Pulse was his word. His equipment reads every six seconds using battery power, and sends that data costing battery power.

He must know what his average usage time is.

If he replaces the batteries every 2 weeks, why not change them every 10 days regardless of condition? Set up a schedule and have someone assigned to do it.

Considering the consequences of getting it wrong, wasting a few dollars on batteries that still have a bit of life in them is trivial.

vk6kro said:
He must know what his average usage time is.

If he replaces the batteries every 2 weeks, why not change them every 10 days regardless of condition? Set up a schedule and have someone assigned to do it.

Considering the consequences of getting it wrong, wasting a few dollars on batteries that still have a bit of life in them is trivial.

Indeed, I'd approach this problem empirically and use some statistics to put a TPM programme in place.

Related to Joules converted to amp hours

1. How do you convert joules to amp hours?

To convert joules to amp hours, you can use the formula: Amp hours = Joules / (Volts x Seconds). This will give you the amount of energy in amp hours.

2. Why is it important to convert joules to amp hours?

Converting joules to amp hours is important because it allows for a more accurate measurement of energy consumption. Amp hours is a unit commonly used in batteries and electrical systems, so converting joules to amp hours can help determine the capacity and efficiency of these systems.

3. Can joules be directly converted to amp hours?

No, joules cannot be directly converted to amp hours. Joules measure energy, while amp hours measure electrical charge. Therefore, a conversion formula is needed to convert between the two units.

4. What is the relationship between joules and amp hours?

Joules and amp hours are related by the amount of energy required to move a certain amount of electrical charge. One joule is equivalent to one amp second, or one coulomb of charge moved through a potential difference of one volt.

5. Is there a specific tool or calculator for converting joules to amp hours?

Yes, there are many online calculators and conversion tools that can help convert joules to amp hours. Some examples include the unit converter on the National Institute of Standards and Technology website, or the "joules to amp hours" converter on RapidTables.com.