Jordan's question from Facebook (finding critical points)

In summary, Jordan has two questions about finding critical points of two different functions. The first function is f(x)=(6-x^2)^.5 and the second function is f(x)=(4-4x^2+8x)^.5. Jordan is looking for input on how to solve these questions. After rewriting the .5 as 1/2 for easier calculations, the derivative of the first function is found to be f'(x)=\frac{-x}{(6-x^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}. The critical points for this function are x=0, \sqrt{6}, and -\sqrt{6}. Jordan is asked to try solving the second function on their own.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
Jordan writes:

I have two questions that I've been trying to work out and I must be doing something wrong!
The first is finding all the critical points of the function:
f(x)=(6-x^2)^.5
And the second is finding all critical points of the function:
f(x)=(4-4x^2+8x)^.5

I would appreciate any input anybody could give, thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Jordan :)

I would rewrite the .5 as 1/2 to make it easier for calculations.

So we have \(\displaystyle f(x)=(6-x^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}\). First we need to find the derivative and remember to use the chain rule.

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=\frac{1}{2}(6-x^2)^{-\frac{1}{2}}(-2x)=\frac{-2x}{2(6-x^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}=\frac{-x}{(6-x^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}\)

Ok, so now we need to find where this equals 0 or where it's not defined. If the numerator equals 0 (the top) and the denominator (the bottom) does not, then the fraction equals 0 so we want to solve $-x=0$ for $x$ and it's obvious the solution is $x=0$. So we have our first critical point!

To find where the derivative is not defined we want to see when the denominator equals 0 (because dividing by 0 is bad!).

Let's look at \(\displaystyle \sqrt{6-x^2}=0\). Squaring both sides leads to \(\displaystyle 6-x^2=0\) or $x^2=6$. This has two solution, \(\displaystyle x=\sqrt{6}\) and \(\displaystyle x=-\sqrt{6}\).

To finish up, we found 3 critical points: \(\displaystyle x=0, \sqrt{6}, -\sqrt{6}\).

What do you get when you try the second one?

Related to Jordan's question from Facebook (finding critical points)

1. What are critical points in mathematics?

Critical points in mathematics refer to the points on a graph where the derivative of a function is equal to zero or does not exist. These points are important because they can indicate the maximum, minimum, or inflection points of a function.

2. How do you find critical points of a function?

To find critical points of a function, you must first take the derivative of the function. Then, set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the variable. The resulting value(s) will be the critical point(s) of the function.

3. Why are critical points important in calculus?

Critical points are important in calculus because they can help us determine the behavior of a function. For example, if a critical point is a maximum, it means the function is increasing up to that point and then begins to decrease. This can help us understand the overall shape of a function.

4. Can a function have more than one critical point?

Yes, a function can have more than one critical point. In fact, a function can have multiple critical points at different locations, depending on the complexity of the function.

5. How do critical points relate to optimization problems?

Critical points are closely related to optimization problems because they can help us find the maximum or minimum value of a function. By finding the critical points and analyzing their behavior, we can determine the optimal solution for an optimization problem.