What's your estimate of the other Drake equation?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Estimate
In summary: If you mean planets that COULD support in a similar way all the intellegent spiecies that existin our galaxy (which I estimate at a few hundred) thenconsidering their enitial development biological chances"form" I'd say about 10^5. (I say their "enitialbiological form" because most intellegent spieces inthe galaxy are most likely much more advanced thanwe are, because we've just appeared a very short while ago, soI presume that what ever they may've evolved into is much moreadaptable.)Anyway, I can't vote on the numbers you posted...:wink:In summary, the

How many planets in the galaxy support intelligent life?

• 10^0

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 10^1

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 10^6

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • 10^10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • > 10^10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The other thread asks about life in the universe. How about the [correct application of Drake's equation] number of planets in the galaxy that support intelligent life?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I would HIGHLY recommend you tell us the estimated number of planets in the galaxy.

Both of your polls ask the same question: "What percentage of planets do you think have intelligent life"

Your just asking the number from a total. Why not tell us the number of planets in the Galaxy. I assume the number of planets in the universe is infinite.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
The other thread asks about life in the universe. How about the [correct application of Drake's equation] number of planets in the galaxy that support intelligent life?

I just happen to think 10.

If star-hopping species were much commoner than that, we
would probably have noticed evidence----junk left around, abandoned bases---or overheard messages.

I expect there is room for about 10 civilizations in our galaxy without them having noticeably impinged on us so far. An opinion poll is the right vehicle for this---at least in my case it is pure speculation or hunch---would not want to try to justify it objectively.

My point is that people probably think a percentage of planets which have life. This is how it works in cosmology.

Even the Drak stuff is in precentages.

So if you just asked people what percentage, it would transcend both questions.

Just a better way to do it.

Honestly I make no claims about the %. All I can say is universe large, must be life...

Originally posted by LogicalAtheist
My point is that people probably think a percentage of planets which have life.
Yes that would have been better. But if even a complete guess, a number is nice to contemplate. :smile:

Honestly I make no claims about the %. All I can say is universe large, must be life...

When I think of how many civilizations could exist, and I allow myself the luxury of true belief for just a moment, to look at a clear starry sky is like looking at the lights of a great city. To me it is mentally staggering to play a little numbers game - to try to concieve of the number of beings that could be out there. Then to imagine that given the odds, "something" is likely out there looking back and wondering about me!

[a great thought to lay on kids]. :smile:

Greetings !

10^10 is a bit exhagerated as the amount of planets in
our galaxy, don't you think ?

If you mean habitable for US planets in the
galaxy (by habitable I assume you mean we'll need
nothing more than cloths to walk around, in the
long term too) then I'd say about 1,000.

If you mean planets that COULD support in a similar
way all the intellegent spiecies that exist
in our galaxy (which I estimate at a few hundred)
then considering their enitial development biological
"form" I'd say about 10^5. (I say their "enitial
biological form" because most intellegent spieces in
the galaxy are most likely much more advanced than
we are, because we've just appeared a very short
while ago, so I presume that what ever they may've
evolved into is much more adaptable.)

Anyway, I can't vote on the numbers you posted...:wink:

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by drag
Greetings !

10^10 is a bit exhagerated as the amount of planets in
our galaxy, don't you think ?

Just fishin

If you mean habitable for US planets in the
galaxy (by habitable I assume you mean we'll need
nothing more than cloths to walk around, in the
long term too) then I'd say about 1,000.

If you mean planets that COULD support in a similar
way all the intellegent spiecies that exist
in our galaxy (which I estimate at a few hundred)
then considering their enitial development biological
"form" I'd say about 10^5. (I say their "enitial
biological form" because most intellegent spieces in
the galaxy are most likely much more advanced than
we are, because we've just appeared a very short
while ago, so I presume that what ever they may've
evolved into is much more adaptable.

Anyway, I can't vote on the numbers you posted...:wink:

Live long and prosper.

Yes I was interested in eliminating the middle ground :smile:

Besides, 10^4 is about 10^6 as compared to 10^10

To a physicist, a horse is approximately a sphere. I didn't think that orders of magnitude would be a problem.

To a physicist, a horse is approximately a sphere. I didn't think that orders of magnitude would be a problem.
Nope, a horse is approximately a particle. If we use a sphere, we have to consider the horse to have VOLUME. Which is of course nonsense, isn't it? :wink:

I think 1, as IMHO by intelligent life we really mean life that is like us. And I don't think any alien "lifeform" in this galaxy would have a chance in hell of being like us enough for us to consider them intelligent.

Originally posted by FZ+
Nope, a horse is approximately a particle. If we use a sphere, we have to consider the horse to have VOLUME. Which is of course nonsense, isn't it? :wink:

No wonder my life is so complicated. I'm following you from now on!

I think 1, as IMHO by intelligent life we really mean life that is like us. And I don't think any alien "lifeform" in this galaxy would have a chance in hell of being like us enough for us to consider them intelligent.

Interesting. You feel that mathematics, as we think of it, could be a unique phenomenon?

Originally posted by LogicalAtheist
...I assume the number of planets in the universe is infinite.

So your vote is > 10^10?

Edit: whoops, I mean for the other thread?
...and you're killing me. So what percentage do you think? I am surprised at your position on this one.

Edit again: I looked at the other poll: You're Google Man!
Does this mean you would have gone for a googleplex? I thought about that one.

Last edited:
Interesting. You feel that mathematics, as we think of it, could be a unique phenomenon?
As we think of it, yes. Perhaps some equivalent would exist, but then again would maths really be a judge of intelligence? Computers know maths, but we judge them not to be really intelligent...

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Besides, 10^4 is about 10^6 as compared to 10^10

I think you'd have some problems there if you ever
work in intergalactic deplomacy...

1. There are no planets that support intelligent life, they at most tolerate it.
2. Where is the proof that there is even one planet that has intelligent life?

1. What is the Drake equation and what does it estimate?

The Drake equation is a mathematical formula proposed by astronomer Frank Drake in 1961 to estimate the number of intelligent, communicative civilizations that may exist in our galaxy. It takes into account various factors such as the rate of star formation, the percentage of stars with planets, and the likelihood of planets capable of supporting life.

2. How accurate is the Drake equation?

The Drake equation is not an exact or proven science and is often considered more of a thought experiment. It is also difficult to accurately estimate some of the factors involved, such as the percentage of planets that may support life. Therefore, the accuracy of the Drake equation is debated among scientists.

3. What is the estimated number of intelligent civilizations in our galaxy according to the Drake equation?

The estimated number of intelligent civilizations in our galaxy according to the Drake equation can vary greatly, depending on the values assigned to each factor. Some estimates range from thousands to millions, while others suggest there may be no other intelligent civilizations in our galaxy.

4. Are there any factors that the Drake equation does not take into account?

Yes, the Drake equation does not take into account factors such as the likelihood of intelligent life evolving on a planet, the technological capabilities of advanced civilizations, and the potential for interstellar communication. These factors are difficult to quantify and therefore not included in the equation.

5. How does the Drake equation impact the search for extraterrestrial life?

The Drake equation has sparked much discussion and debate about the possibility of intelligent life existing beyond Earth. It has also influenced the development of programs and initiatives aimed at searching for extraterrestrial life, such as the SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) program. However, it is important to note that the Drake equation is not a definitive answer and should not be solely relied upon in the search for extraterrestrial life.