Joko123's question at Yahoo Answers (Sketching a cone)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cone
In summary, the given surface represents the curved surface of a circular cone with height h and base radius r. The surface is defined by the equation z^2 = (h^2/r^2)(x^2 + y^2) and is bounded by the constraints 0<u<r and 0<v<2*pi. The cone can be sketched by considering the constraints and the equations for x, y, and z.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Consider the Surface: r = ucos(v)i + usin(v)j + (h*u/r)k 0<u<r and 0<v<2*pi

(should be less then equal to for constraints)

Show that this represents the curved surface of a circular cone height h and base radius r. Sketch this cone?I have tried multiple times to solve this and can't seem to grasp a solution. PLEASE HELP

Here is a link to the question:

Please Help, How to Sketch a circular cone, height h and base r? - Yahoo!7 Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Joko123,

Consider the surface: $$S:\left \{ \begin{matrix}x=u\cos v\\y=u\sin v\\z=\dfrac{h}{r}u\end{matrix}\right. \qquad (u\in\mathbb{R},\;v\in\mathbb{R})$$ We have $x^2+y^2=u^2\cos^2v+u^2\sin^2v=u^2(\cos^2v+\sin^2v)=u^2$ and $u=rz/h$, so: $$S:z^2=\frac{h^2}{r^2}(x^2+y^2)$$ and we know that a equation of this form is the equation of an unbounded conical surface. Now, consider the contraints $0\leq u\leq r,\;0\leq v\leq 2\pi$. For $u\in [0,r]$ we have $$\left \{ \begin{matrix}x=u\cos v\\y=u\sin v\\z=\dfrac{h}{r}u\end{matrix}\right. \qquad (v\in [0,2\pi])$$ that is, a circle on the plane $z=hu/r$.

If $u=0$, we get the point $(0,0,0)$ (circle with radius $0$).

If $u=r$, we get $$\left \{ \begin{matrix}x=r\cos v\\y=r\sin v\\z=h\end{matrix}\right. \qquad (v\in [0,2\pi])$$ that is, a circle on the plane $z=h$ with center at $(0,0,h)$ and radius $r$. Now, is easy to sketch the cone (choose only the part above):

Attachments

• DoubleCone.png
    DoubleCone.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 34

Related to Joko123's question at Yahoo Answers (Sketching a cone)

1. How do you sketch a cone?

To sketch a cone, start by drawing a circle on a flat surface. Then, draw a straight line from the center of the circle to a point outside of the circle. Next, connect the edges of the circle to the point outside with curved lines to create the cone shape. Finally, erase any unnecessary lines and add shading for a more realistic look.

2. What materials do I need to sketch a cone?

You will need a pencil, eraser, paper, and a ruler for sketching a cone. Optional materials include a compass for drawing a perfect circle and colored pencils for shading.

3. Can I sketch a cone without using a ruler?

While using a ruler can help create precise lines, you can still sketch a cone without one. You can freehand the lines or use any straight edge you have available, such as a book or a piece of paper.

4. How can I make my cone sketch more realistic?

To make your cone sketch more realistic, pay attention to the shading. Use darker shading on the bottom of the cone and gradually lighten the shading towards the top. You can also add shadowing on the sides of the cone to create a three-dimensional effect.

5. Is there a specific technique for sketching a cone?

There is no specific technique for sketching a cone. However, it can be helpful to break down the cone into basic shapes, such as a circle and a triangle, to guide your sketch. Also, remember to take your time and practice, as sketching takes patience and skill to improve.