What are some recommendations for avant-garde/indie experimental music?

• Music
  • Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: Indie and Tom responds that Indie means Independent. Monique then asks Tom what Indie music he likes and Tom responds that he likes Metallica, The Pixies, The Doors, The Misfits, AFI, Refused, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Tom Waits, Sonic Youth, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, etc. Monique then asks Tom if he's heard Symphony X and Tom responds that he has. Monique then asks Tom if he's ever heard Aghora and Tom responds that he has. Monique then asks Tom if he's heard Gordian Knot and Tom responds that he has. Monique then asks Tom if

Nereid,

Your taste in Classical is peculiar. Here's a list of things I find objectionable about most of the composers you like:

JSB: No problem here.
Hayden:This person is not Bach.
Shostakovich: Nor this guy.
Kitaro: Also not Bach.
Hinata (Toshifumi): Not.
George Winston:Not.
Vivaldi (not 4 Seasons):Not Bach.
Satie: Not Bach.
Mahler (esp the 4th):Not Bach.
Sibelius:Not Bach.
Telemann:Not Bach.
Stravinsky:Not Bach.
various Chinese pieces:Not B.
Beethoven: B but not Bach.
WAM of course is not Bach.

I would urge you to broaden your taste to include more composers who are J.S.Bach.

-Zooby

Science news on Phys.org

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
I would urge you to broaden your taste to include more composers who are J.S.Bach.

Ooh i forgot to mention bands like A Perfect Circle (tho i don't like their new album...so i only like half their stuff), Hootie and the Blowfish, Ugly Kid Joe, Van Halen, The Union Underground, Marillion, Soundgarden, Bad Religion (yeah Grimmus!), Aerosmith, REM, The Damned, Dio, Manic Street Preachers, Garbage, Loaded, Izzy Stradlin.

I can't believe no-one has mentioned another all time great- Marc Bolan & T.Rex!

I would urge you to broaden your taste to include more composers who are J.S.Bach. -Zooby

Why JS only? He had 20 children, many of them composers:

Johann Christian Bach
Wilhelm Friedemann Bach
Johann Christoph Friedrich Bach
Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach

There's also PDQ Bach, but that's another story...

Originally posted by confutatis
Why JS only? He had 20 children, many of them composers
The reason he had twenty children was because his organ had no stops.

The reason he had twenty children was because his organ had no stops.

I can't believe no one else has mentioned Disturbed!

Anyway, zooby, even Bach didn't only listen to his own music! Indeed, he was a great composer, but not the only great composer.

Originally posted by Mentat Anyway, zooby, even Bach didn't only listen to his own music!
His personal CD collection was preserved after his death and is on display in the Leipzeig Bach Museum, and, yes, you are correct: there is some Vivaldi, Handel, Teleman, Buxtehude, and, interstingly enough, quite a bit of Miles Davis, but 90% of it is his own stuff.

Originally posted by Mentat
I can't believe no one else has mentioned Disturbed!

I can't believe you did mention them. :wink:

Originally posted by confutatis
He had 20 children, many of them composers:

Johann Christian Bach
Wilhelm Friedemann Bach
Johann Christoph Friedrich Bach
Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach

There's also PDQ Bach, but that's another story...

Their dates:

J.C.Bach 1735-1782
W.F.Bach 1710-1784
J.C.F.Bach 1732-1795
C.P.E.Bach 1714-1788
P.D.Q.Bach 1807-1742 (?)

Their dates:

J.C.Bach 1735-1782
W.F.Bach 1710-1784
J.C.F.Bach 1732-1795
C.P.E.Bach 1714-1788
P.D.Q.Bach 1807-1742 (?)

In case you didn't know it, P.D.Q. Bach is a fictitious composer created as a joke.

http://www.schickele.com/

Yes, I happen to own an autographed copy of The Definitive Biography Of P.D.Q.Bach by Professor Shikele, and the dates I gave for his lifespan came verbatim from the fronticepiece of that book.

Shikele, as in mix?

Schikele? I said Schickele.

Originally posted by hypnagogue
I can't believe you did mention them. :wink:

Hey. Disturbed is the essence of rock music...all other bands bow before them...well, that's kind of exagerating, but they still rock! :smile:

Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Black Crowes, Prince think that's it.

Oh can't forget about busted!

This is what you actually wrote ...

Yes, I happen to own an autographed copy of The Definitive Biography Of P.D.Q.Bach by Professor Shikele, and the dates I gave for his lifespan came verbatim from the fronticepiece of that book.
perhaps a slip of the finger?

Originally posted by Mentat
Hey. Disturbed is the essence of rock music...all other bands bow before them...well, that's kind of exagerating, but they still rock! :smile:

Heheh. Just foolin' around with you. But seriously-- if you're into dark/melancholy music, have you listened to Radiohead much? The Verve? Smashing Pumpkins? Black Rebel Motorcycle Club? The Black Heart Procession? Pink Floyd? :smile:

Originally posted by Nereid
perhaps a slip of the finger?
I know what I wrote, but are you really prepared to put up with how many times I can deny having written it?

Heheh. Just foolin' around with you. But seriously-- if you're into dark/melancholy music, have you listened to Radiohead much?

radiohead is more politically philosophical...i don't see them as dark.. but VERY political...recently, thom yorke was concerned of how americans would take his leading protests in britain against george w(aste of a). bush...when i attended their concert in august, tons of fake dollar bills came down that instead of being $1 bills, they were $9-11 bills with websites advertising war and globalisation deception...

I'd like to see the names of a few individual songs given, along with the artist or group, so I could go about trying to listen to it.

Originally posted by Kerrie
radiohead is more politically philosophical...i don't see them as dark.. but VERY political...recently, thom yorke was concerned of how americans would take his leading protests in britain against george w(aste of a). bush...when i attended their concert in august, tons of fake dollar bills came down that instead of being $1 bills, they were $9-11 bills with websites advertising war and globalisation deception...

Politically philosophical and dark don't have to be mutually exclusive. Sure, "We Suck Young Blood" for example might have a definite political message, but would you venture to say that it isn't a dark song? :wink:

REM is another group that liked to make political statements with their music, but their songs were decidedly more upbeat sounding, even when being critical (eg "Welcome to the Occupation," "Exhuming McCarthy"). Darkness lies in the attitude/tone/feel of the music.

Originally posted by BoulderHead
I'd like to see the names of a few individual songs given, along with the artist or group, so I could go about trying to listen to it.

Here's a few of my favorites off the top of my head, in no particular order. I'll try to be parsimonious.

older...

The Velvet Underground - Venus in Furs
Pink Floyd - Echoes (watch out-- 23+ minutes!)
Pink Floyd - Dogs
Pink Floyd - Time
Neil Young - Down by the River
John Lennon - Watching the Wheels
Jimi Hendrix - 1983 (A Mermaid I Should Turn to Be)
Jimi Hendrix - Rainy Day, Dream Away
The Doors - Riders on the Storm

newer...

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - As Sure as the Sun
Blonde Redhead - Harmony
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Walkabout
Sonic Youth - Sunday
Soundgarden - Fell on Black Days
The Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored
The Verve - Country Song (NOT country music :wink:)
The Verve - History
The Verve - A Man Called Sun
Radiohead - Airbag
Radiohead - There, There
Radiohead - Where I End and You Begin
Radiohead - Exit Music (For a Film)

Of these, if I had to pick 5 songs everyone should absolutely listen to, I'd pick Harmony, Venus in Furs, 1983, Where I End and You Begin, and Echoes. Echoes is the one song that reliably gives me chills every time I listen to it.

Hi all. New to the forums. Guess I didn't have anything dealing with physics on my mind today.

Here's some of the music I like:

old
-----
Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Traffic
Frank Zappa

Bela Bartok
Motzart

80's
------
Talking Heads
Peter Gabriel
The The

New
------
Primus
Radiohead
Beck
Morphine
Clutch

This is not a complete list. This should give you an idea of what I like, however.

hypnagogue, have you seen/heard 'Live at Pompeii'?

Ok then, Guns N Roses, 'Appetite for Destruction' the Album, because its that damn good or more specifically Sweet child o mine, Paradise City, Coma, Estranged, Civil War and Patience. All amazing songs.

Then there is, Rolling Stones = Sympathy for the Devil, Jumping Jack Flash, Wild Horses.

Prince = When Doves Cry, Let's Go Crazy, Sign O the times and 7.

There are loads more to recommend but i can't be bothered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heheh. Just foolin' around with you. But seriously-- if you're into dark/melancholy music, have you listened to Radiohead much? The Verve? Smashing Pumpkins? Black Rebel Motorcycle Club? The Black Heart Procession? Pink Floyd? :smile:

Didn't care too much for Pink Floyd, kind of liked Radiohead. Never listened to the rest .

Well, what Radiohead and Pink Floyd have you heard? :wink:

Originally posted by Jimmy
hypnagogue, have you seen/heard 'Live at Pompeii'?

Very long time ago... I remember liking it, but nothing besides that really.

Sublime, beethoven, metallica, the doors, the eagles, elvis, and a bunch of others I can't think of right now. Have any of you heard of Sublime?

Led Zeppelin - Trampled Underfoot
Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Led Zeppelin - Kashmir
Rage Against the Machine - Vietnow
Rage Against the Machine - **** tha Police (NWA cover)
Rage Against the Machine - Zapata's Blood
Rage Against the Machine - War Within a Breath
Clutch - Animal Farm
Clutch - Rock and Roll Hounddog
Clutch - I have the Body of John Wilkes Booth
Tool - Prison Sex
Tool - Parabola
Bob Marley - Jammin'
Bob Marley - Everything is Gonna Be Alright
Stone Temple Pilots - Sex Type Thing
Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Iron Maiden - Aces High (live version if possible)
The Doors - Riders on the Storm
The Doors - Roadhouse Blues
Audioslave - Set It Off
Audioslave - Cochise

I can go on and on so I'll stop here.

Misfits are ok, as long as u like old british bands that like yelling, "i aint no goddamn son of a *****"

The Misfits are from New Jersey, not Britain.

Hypnagogue, Andy, zoobyshoe, and Sting….Phew

Thank you for the artist/song combinations. Some I have heard before, the others I will make a point to listen to.

No one here likes Sublime??

Originally posted by einsteinian77
No one here likes Sublime??

I like Sublime lots. Just not enough to put them in the upper echelon of my lists, and the upper echelon is probably all I can afford to talk about before people start tuning me out. :wink:

About 60% classical from any of the periods except for contemporary, 30% of the "trance" (if that's indeed what it is) genre (e.g. Delerium, Paul Oakenfold, Paul van Dyk, DJ AnyoneThatSoundsGood), and about 10% of random songs from various genres.

<h2>1. What is avant-garde/indie experimental music?</h2><p>Avant-garde/indie experimental music is a genre of music that pushes the boundaries of traditional music and explores new and unconventional sounds and techniques. It often combines elements from various genres and incorporates experimental techniques such as improvisation and unconventional instruments.</p><h2>2. Who are some notable artists in the avant-garde/indie experimental music scene?</h2><p>Some notable artists in the avant-garde/indie experimental music scene include Björk, Radiohead, Animal Collective, and Laurie Anderson. These artists have all incorporated experimental elements into their music and have pushed the boundaries of traditional music.</p><h2>3. How can I discover new avant-garde/indie experimental music?</h2><p>One way to discover new avant-garde/indie experimental music is to follow music blogs and websites that specialize in this genre. You can also attend experimental music festivals and concerts, and explore related genres such as electronic, ambient, and noise music.</p><h2>4. What are some characteristics of avant-garde/indie experimental music?</h2><p>Avant-garde/indie experimental music is known for its unconventional and non-traditional approach to music. It often incorporates elements of improvisation, unusual instrumentation, and non-linear song structures. It can also be characterized by its use of electronic and digital sounds and its exploration of new and unique sonic textures.</p><h2>5. Are there any recommended albums or songs for someone new to avant-garde/indie experimental music?</h2><p>Some recommended albums and songs for someone new to avant-garde/indie experimental music include "Homogenic" by Björk, "Kid A" by Radiohead, "Merriweather Post Pavilion" by Animal Collective, and "Big Science" by Laurie Anderson. These albums showcase a range of experimental techniques and styles within the genre.</p>

1. What is avant-garde/indie experimental music?

Avant-garde/indie experimental music is a genre of music that pushes the boundaries of traditional music and explores new and unconventional sounds and techniques. It often combines elements from various genres and incorporates experimental techniques such as improvisation and unconventional instruments.

2. Who are some notable artists in the avant-garde/indie experimental music scene?

Some notable artists in the avant-garde/indie experimental music scene include Björk, Radiohead, Animal Collective, and Laurie Anderson. These artists have all incorporated experimental elements into their music and have pushed the boundaries of traditional music.

3. How can I discover new avant-garde/indie experimental music?

One way to discover new avant-garde/indie experimental music is to follow music blogs and websites that specialize in this genre. You can also attend experimental music festivals and concerts, and explore related genres such as electronic, ambient, and noise music.

4. What are some characteristics of avant-garde/indie experimental music?

Avant-garde/indie experimental music is known for its unconventional and non-traditional approach to music. It often incorporates elements of improvisation, unusual instrumentation, and non-linear song structures. It can also be characterized by its use of electronic and digital sounds and its exploration of new and unique sonic textures.

5. Are there any recommended albums or songs for someone new to avant-garde/indie experimental music?

Some recommended albums and songs for someone new to avant-garde/indie experimental music include "Homogenic" by Björk, "Kid A" by Radiohead, "Merriweather Post Pavilion" by Animal Collective, and "Big Science" by Laurie Anderson. These albums showcase a range of experimental techniques and styles within the genre.