Need help on a ohysics porject involving construction

In summary, a grade 11 student is seeking help with a physics project involving building a device that can move and have a displacement of 5m north using only a rubber band for energy. The device must also remain on a carpet surface and not have any external forces helping it move. One suggestion is to use a cotton bobbin, a piece of wood, a drawing pin, and an elastic band to create a winding motion for the device.
amritha
hii I'm in grade 11 and this is regarding an improtant physics projectwhere i need to build a device/ transporter ( I'm GUESSING thst it should be something like a car)this device has to move and have a displacement of 5m north at least and it can obtain its energy to move only form a rubber band and nothing else. there should be NO external forces tht will help the device to move. the object shoudl remain on the surface (its a carpet in this case) throughout its journey.
pleasez reply and help. any suggestions or adive also will do.
thank u
amrita

Physics news on Phys.org
This should be in the homework help section... but never mind.

You need a cotton bobbin, a small piece of wood (lollipop stick?), a drawing pin and an elastic band.

Feed elastic through the centre of the bobbin, pin one side down to the side and then wind it up using the stick. Put on the floor, the stick is pushing on the floor preventing it from unwinding, so the cotton bobbin umwinds instead, giving you your motion.

Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of the physics project involving construction?

The purpose of the project is to apply principles of physics to a real-life construction scenario in order to understand how physics plays a role in the construction process. This will help students gain a deeper understanding of physics concepts and their practical applications.

2. What materials will be needed for the project?

The materials needed will depend on the specific construction project chosen. However, common materials that may be needed include wooden blocks, toy cars, weights, pulleys, and ramps. It is important to use materials that are safe and easily accessible.

3. How should the project be structured?

The project should be structured in a way that allows for the application of physics concepts in a hands-on manner. This can include creating a design plan, conducting experiments, collecting data, and analyzing the results. It is important to follow a logical and organized structure to ensure the project is successful.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when conducting any type of project involving construction. It is important to use materials that are age-appropriate and follow safety guidelines when using tools or equipment. It is also recommended to have adult supervision during the project.

5. How can I make my project stand out?

To make your project stand out, you can choose a unique construction scenario or experiment with different variables to test. You can also use creative methods to present your findings, such as creating a video or visual representation. Additionally, incorporating real-life examples and tying in current events or technology can make your project more engaging and relevant.