John Lee,Smooth mfds exercise 2.16

• Thread starter seydunas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, The conversation is discussing how to prove that a topological manifold X is paracompact, given the condition that for every open cover O there exists a partition of unity subordinate to O. The speaker suggests using the locally finite condition of partition of unity to construct a locally refinement open cover. They also mention that the set where a continuous function does not vanish is open and that this may be a tautology. The conversation concludes by stating that if the interior of support from the partition of unity can be taken, then the proof is complete.
seydunas
Hi,

i have tried to solve exercise2.16 in Lee' s book, smooth manifolds: Let X be a top. mfd with the propert that for every open cover O there exist partition of unity subordinate to O. Show X is paracompact.

I think there is a trick to construct locally refinement open cover by using the conditions of partition of unity. But i can not find it. Can you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't even remember the definitions, but isn't this trivial? re-read the definition of partition of unity and see if it doesn't involve a locally finite condition. remember the set where a continuous function does not vanish is open. i believe this is a tautology, i.e. like proving A+B implies B. see if you agree.

Last edited:
If we can take the interior of support coming from partition of unity, we are done.

Related to John Lee,Smooth mfds exercise 2.16

1. Who is John Lee?

John Lee is a scientist and author who has published several books and articles on exercise science and physiology.

2. What is the "Smooth mfds exercise 2.16" program?

The "Smooth mfds exercise 2.16" program is an exercise routine created by John Lee that focuses on using smooth, controlled movements to improve muscle strength and flexibility.

3. What are the benefits of following the "Smooth mfds exercise 2.16" program?

The benefits of following the "Smooth mfds exercise 2.16" program include improved muscle strength, flexibility, and overall physical fitness. It can also help prevent injuries and improve posture.

4. Is the "Smooth mfds exercise 2.16" program suitable for all ages and fitness levels?

Yes, the "Smooth mfds exercise 2.16" program can be modified to suit different ages and fitness levels. It is important to consult with a doctor or fitness professional before starting any new exercise program.

5. Are there any equipment or special requirements for the "Smooth mfds exercise 2.16" program?

No, the "Smooth mfds exercise 2.16" program does not require any special equipment and can be done at home or in a gym setting. However, it is recommended to have a mat or soft surface for some exercises.