Jobs where you are active/outdoors?

• Thread starter hooahpuke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, the individual is unsure about pursuing a career in engineering but is interested in more hands-on and outdoor jobs. They mention fields like environmental engineering, civil engineering, petroleum engineering, mechanical/electrical/aerospace engineering, and surveying as potential options. They also mention the satisfaction of working in a less recognized job, such as a controls engineer or licensed surveyor.
hooahpuke
Maybe this is a silly question, but I don't feel particularly drawn to any form of engineering yet, other than I don't want to be a software engineer (I like things that are more concrete). What matters to me more is the job isn't just sitting at a desk all day everyday. What fields might I be more interested in? I haven't been able to take any engineering classes yet so it's still wide open.

Physics news on Phys.org
Civil.
Petroleum.
Ocean.

Many mechanical/electrical/aerospace jobs involving measurement and testing.

Work for a small company. Field engineering and test engineering may be up your alley. Petroleum engineering is hands on too, but it can be very demanding living on a rig. Good money though.

I'm in training (after a physics degree) to be an operating engineer (A.K.A. steam engineer), so a lot of what I do is very hands-on work. OE's work in refrigeration/warehouses/breweries/power plants/oil processing - all those kinds of places. We monitor, maintain, and repair the machines in such places.

As Vanadium said, petro engineers fit that criteria and they make very good money as well, so I would definitely keep that option in mind.

Becoming a licensed surveyor is interesting. It's a lot like engineering in many ways. You may want to consider it.

Another outdoors job is controls engineering. You find jobs like that in electric, water, and gas companies. If you like to work outdoors in all sorts of weather, you're going to love those jobs. I've been out there in all kinds of weather at any time of day or night. The thing is that when you're done, you have a feeling of accomplishment. You've been there and done something unsung that the public is largely oblivious to.

I've also been outside climbing a tower on a beautiful spring day, marveling that people paid me to do it. Consider that too...

Related to Jobs where you are active/outdoors?

1. What types of jobs involve being active and working outdoors?

Some common jobs that involve being active and working outdoors include construction workers, landscapers, park rangers, farmers, and outdoor adventure guides.

2. What are the benefits of working in an active and outdoor job?

Working in an active and outdoor job can have many benefits, such as improved physical fitness, exposure to fresh air and nature, and a sense of accomplishment from completing physical tasks.

3. What skills are needed for jobs that require being active and working outdoors?

Jobs that are active and outdoors often require physical strength and endurance, as well as good hand-eye coordination and the ability to work well in a team. Depending on the specific job, other skills such as knowledge of plants and animals or technical skills may also be necessary.

4. What are the potential challenges of working in an active and outdoor job?

Some potential challenges of working in an active and outdoor job include exposure to harsh weather conditions, physically demanding tasks, and potential safety hazards. It is important to take proper precautions and have the necessary skills and training to handle these challenges.

5. Are there opportunities for advancement in jobs that involve being active and working outdoors?

Yes, there are often opportunities for advancement in these types of jobs. For example, a construction worker may become a project manager, or a park ranger may become a park supervisor. It is important to continue developing skills and gaining experience to advance in these careers.