Jobs for theoretical physicist outside academia

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential career options for theoretical physicists who are unable to secure a job in academia after obtaining a PhD or completing a postdoc. The focus is on high energy physics and cosmology, and the discussion also touches on the role of programming skills in these career paths. Overall, it is suggested that learning programming may be beneficial for finding job opportunities in this field.
cestyx
Hello,

I would like to know what can do theoretical physicist who don't get a job in academia, after a phd in theoretical physics or after a postdoc for example.
I am thinking about people working in theoretical high energy physics, cosmology or things like that. If we compare the number of phd and of permanent positions, it seems a lot of people have to do something else. What jobs do these people find?

I read a lot of threads about finance. Now are there any opportunities outside of finance?
What about people who have not done any programming or computer work during their phd?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience, if you didn't do any programming for your phd, you'd better learn somewhere. Most of the phds I know, including strictly pen-and-paper theorists (myself included), had to know some programming to land their current jobs.

Related to Jobs for theoretical physicist outside academia

1. What types of industries hire theoretical physicists outside of academia?

There are many industries that hire theoretical physicists for various roles, including technology, finance, government, and research organizations. Some common job titles for theoretical physicists in these industries include data scientist, research scientist, and quantitative analyst.

2. What skills do theoretical physicists possess that are valuable in the job market?

Theoretical physicists possess a wide range of skills that are highly valued in the job market, including critical thinking, problem-solving, mathematical and analytical abilities, and the ability to think abstractly and creatively. They also have a strong foundation in scientific research and communication skills.

3. Are there opportunities for theoretical physicists to work in interdisciplinary fields?

Yes, there are many opportunities for theoretical physicists to work in interdisciplinary fields, such as biophysics, engineering, and computer science. These fields often require a combination of theoretical and practical knowledge, making theoretical physicists well-suited for these roles.

4. What are some non-traditional career paths for theoretical physicists?

Aside from working in traditional industries, theoretical physicists can also find employment in non-traditional career paths such as science communication, policy and advocacy, and consulting. These roles allow theoretical physicists to apply their skills and knowledge in unique and impactful ways.

5. Are there any resources available to help theoretical physicists find jobs outside of academia?

Yes, there are many resources available to help theoretical physicists find jobs outside of academia. These include job search websites, networking events, career fairs, and professional organizations. It is also helpful to reach out to former colleagues and mentors who may have connections in non-academic industries.