Job Suggestions for Physics Majors: Beyond Teaching

In summary: The type, quantity, and quality of jobs in physics is VERY LOCATION DEPENDENT! A physics graduate in, say, central Africa will have a very different job prospect than a physics graduate in Chicago, Illinois.
rania yassin
well,, i still have one and a half year to go,, so you might think that this is a little bit early but this is really a concern for me,, i really don't know what should i do after i graduate,,, I'm majoring in physics and I'm going to be honest I SUCK AT TEACHING ! I'm considering having masters and PhD right after i graduate but i really want to start my career early, so i think I'm going to study and work at the same time... So what I'm asking for is your suggestions for jobs -in the field of physics- other than teaching..
Thank you very much in advance :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Within academia there are some pure research institutes in different parts of the world where there is no teaching required (as well as some non-teaching positions at universities). However, singling out these is to thin the field of possible employers in an already harsh job market. I am sure there are also non-academic positions in industry where you would be doing things related to physics, but this depends to a very large degree on what kind of jobs you would be interested in.

Likes rania yassin
Well, most other physics professors suck at teaching too, so I'm not sure that's a reason to give up on the idea. . . (There might be other very good reasons for it though)

Likes Mmm_Pasta, JakeBrodskyPE and rania yassin
Locrian said:
Well, most other physics professors suck at teaching too, so I'm not sure that's a reason to give up on the idea. . . (There might be other very good reasons for it though)
hahahahhahaha,, you do have a great point :P

Orodruin said:
Within academia there are some pure research institutes in different parts of the world where there is no teaching required (as well as some non-teaching positions at universities). However, singling out these is to thin the field of possible employers in an already harsh job market. I am sure there are also non-academic positions in industry where you would be doing things related to physics, but this depends to a very large degree on what kind of jobs you would be interested in.
well, in my country teaching is the most popular job for physicists, and i don't think there's a lot of research institutions :S

rania yassin said:
well,, i still have one and a half year to go,, so you might think that this is a little bit early but this is really a concern for me,, i really don't know what should i do after i graduate,,, I'm majoring in physics and I'm going to be honest I SUCK AT TEACHING ! I'm considering having masters and PhD right after i graduate but i really want to start my career early, so i think I'm going to study and work at the same time... So what I'm asking for is your suggestions for jobs -in the field of physics- other than teaching..
Thank you very much in advance :D
How do you know you would be poor at teaching? Anyone who can honestly earn an undergraduate degree in Physics has more than enough sense how to design a lesson plan, and should be able to present the lesson based on that plan. Otherwise, the only trouble you might find would possibly be with who is doing the learning (or who is trying very hard to avoid doing the learning).

Additionally, in case you did not get as much knowledge about Physics as you expected, you still may be able to teach something else; I don't know your particular case.

Likes rania yassin
symbolipoint said:
How do you know you would be poor at teaching? Anyone who can honestly earn an undergraduate degree in Physics has more than enough sense how to design a lesson plan, and should be able to present the lesson based on that plan. Otherwise, the only trouble you might find would possibly be with who is doing the learning (or who is trying very hard to avoid doing the learning).

Additionally, in case you did not get as much knowledge about Physics as you expected, you still may be able to teach something else; I don't know your particular case.
well i do try tutoring some people and it seems that the way i understand things isn't the common way nor it's the easier way so i find it hard to make the point clear for someone who doesn't think like me

rania yassin said:
well, in my country teaching is the most popular job for physicists, and i don't think there's a lot of research institutions :S

This is one of the most important piece of information that you left out.

The type, quantity, and quality of jobs in physics is VERY LOCATION DEPENDENT! A physics graduate in, say, central Africa will have a very different job prospect than a physics graduate in Chicago, Illinois.

So to you, and anyone else thinking of asking this type of question, please INDICATE WHERE IN THIS WORLD YOU INTEND TO LOOK for a job in physics. Otherwise, people will be giving you advice that will probably be completely irrelevant to you!

Zz.

Likes JakeBrodskyPE and jtbell
rania yassin said:

According to your profile, you are from Amman, Jordan. Do you intend on staying in Jordan for further graduate studies and employment, or do you plan on pursuing graduate studies elsewhere, say in Europe, US, Canada, or Australia?

rania yassin said:
I'm considering having masters and PhD right after i graduate but i really want to start my career early, so i think I'm going to study and work at the same time.

Note that generally a physics PhD is AT LEAST a full time job, so it is usually not possible or wise to take on a second job while pursuing it.

Likes rania yassin
ZapperZ said:
This is one of the most important piece of information that you left out.

The type, quantity, and quality of jobs in physics is VERY LOCATION DEPENDENT! A physics graduate in, say, central Africa will have a very different job prospect than a physics graduate in Chicago, Illinois.

So to you, and anyone else thinking of asking this type of question, please INDICATE WHERE IN THIS WORLD YOU INTEND TO LOOK for a job in physics. Otherwise, people will be giving you advice that will probably be completely irrelevant to you!

Zz.
Well to answer your question I'm from Jordan,, that's in the middle east

StatGuy2000 said:
According to your profile, you are from Amman, Jordan. Do you intend on staying in Jordan for further graduate studies and employment, or do you plan on pursuing graduate studies elsewhere, say in Europe, US, Canada, or Australia?
Well I'm thinking about continuing my higher education in England since I have some family there

Nabeshin said:
Note that generally a physics PhD is AT LEAST a full time job, so it is usually not possible or wise to take on a second job while pursuing it.
Yeah but the expenses of studying in my country is really high,,, and I would prefer to help my father with them.

rania yassin said:
Well I'm thinking about continuing my higher education in England since I have some family there
There are funded PhDs available in the UK that are open to international students also, this means that your fees would be covered by either the institution or the research council, and usually you'd be paid an untaxed stipend. Many institutions will also offer paid teaching roles to eligible PhD students.

Likes rania yassin

Related to Job Suggestions for Physics Majors: Beyond Teaching

1. What other career options are available for physics majors besides teaching?

Physics majors have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research and development, engineering, data analysis, finance, and consulting. Many industries, including technology, healthcare, and energy, value the analytical and problem-solving skills that physics majors possess.

2. How can I prepare for a non-teaching career with a physics degree?

In addition to taking courses in physics and mathematics, it is important for physics majors to gain experience in areas such as computer programming, data analysis, and project management. Internships, research projects, and extracurricular activities can also provide valuable skills and knowledge for non-teaching careers.

3. Are there any specialized physics majors that can lead to specific non-teaching jobs?

Yes, some universities offer specialized physics majors, such as astrophysics, biophysics, or engineering physics, that can lead to careers in those specific fields. However, a general physics major can also provide a strong foundation for a variety of non-teaching careers.

4. What skills do physics majors possess that are valuable in the job market?

Physics majors have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of mathematical and scientific concepts. They are also trained in data analysis, critical thinking, and experimental design, which are highly valued in many industries.

5. Are there any resources available for physics majors seeking non-teaching jobs?

Yes, there are many resources available for physics majors, including career centers at universities, professional organizations such as the American Physical Society, and online job boards specifically for science and engineering fields. Networking with alumni and professionals in the field can also be helpful in finding non-teaching job opportunities.