Job opportunities with theoretical solid state/condensed matter

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a career that utilizes their passion for physics and applied math, while also being employable. They do not want to be an experimentalist or engineer, unless it is theoretical. They question if there are opportunities for theorists in solid state and condensed matter physics and if they would be required to do experimental work. The speaker also mentions their preference to work in industry or government rather than becoming a professor. The other person in the conversation shares their own experience as a condensed matter theoretician working in industry, with a mix of lab work and analysis/design of optical systems. They explain that the industry and employer will determine the type of work and specialization. The speaker then asks if going into theoretical solid
mobiusdafrost
i really enjoy my physics and applied math classes and wish to pursue a career that uses them, while also staying employable at teh same tiem. i hate experiments so i don't want to be an experimentalist or engineer, unless the engineering is theoretical.

i know there's plenty of opportunities for those who do solid state and condensed matter physics, but is that only for experimentalists? what about for theorists in those areas? and for those theorists, do they have to do a lot of experiments/lab work?

also i don't want to become a professor, i want to work in industry/government/etc

Physics news on Phys.org
I was trained as a condensed matter theoretician. I now work in industry and spend about half of my time interacting with the labs and doing analysis on experimental data. The other half of my time is spent in the analysis and design of optical and infrared systems. I'll get back into materials work in a couple of years after I am done working this latest assignment in systems.

It all depends on the industry you want to work in, what your specialty is and what your employer wants.

hmm... that's interesting

if i enjoy physics and applied math but hate experimetns, would going into theoretical solid state/condensed matter be a good idea if i intend to work in industry but not doing any lab work

also is condensed matter something ill like if my favorite physics classes are quantum and stat mech, and my favorite math are linear algebra and PDEs

Related to Job opportunities with theoretical solid state/condensed matter

What are the job opportunities in the field of theoretical solid state/condensed matter?

There are several job opportunities for scientists with a background in theoretical solid state/condensed matter. These include positions in research and development, academia, and industry.

What skills are required for a career in theoretical solid state/condensed matter?

A strong background in physics and mathematics is essential for a career in theoretical solid state/condensed matter. Other important skills include programming, data analysis, and critical thinking.

What type of research is done in theoretical solid state/condensed matter?

Theoretical solid state/condensed matter research involves studying the behavior of matter at the atomic and molecular level. This includes investigating the properties of materials, developing new models and theories, and predicting the behavior of complex systems.

What are the educational requirements for a career in theoretical solid state/condensed matter?

Most positions in theoretical solid state/condensed matter require a minimum of a master's degree in physics or a related field. However, a Ph.D. is typically required for more advanced research positions.

What is the job outlook for careers in theoretical solid state/condensed matter?

The field of theoretical solid state/condensed matter is expected to continue growing, with demand for qualified scientists in both research and industry. The increasing use of advanced materials and technologies in various industries will also create new job opportunities in this field.