Naming Ethers: A Guide for Alkoxy Molecules

• Thread starter KLscilevothma
  • Start date
In summary, to name ethers, the prefix is Alkoxy- and there is no suffix for this functional group. For the first molecule, it can be called methyl allyl ether, while the IUPAC name is 3-methoxyprop-1-ene. The second molecule can be referred to as 1,2-dimethoxyethane or MEM, with the IUPAC name being 1,2-dimethoxyethane. There may be other naming systems besides IUPAC.
KLscilevothma
How do you name the following ethers?

1)CH3OCH2CH=CH
2)CH3OCH2CH2OCH3

I know the prefix of naming ether (-C-O-C-) is Alkoxy-, and have no suffix for this functionol group , how do you name ether molecules in general ?

Biology news on Phys.org
The first I'd call methyl allyl ether. Although the IUPAC name would be something like 3-methoxyprop-1-ene.

The second with IUPAC would be 1,2-dimethoxyethane, although I think most would just refer to it as MEM.

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak
the IUPAC name would be something like 3-methoxyprop-1-ene.The second with IUPAC would be 1,2-dimethoxyethane
Got it, thanks.

The first I'd call methyl allyl ether.
I think most would just refer to it as MEM
Is there any nameing system other than the IUPAC ?

1. What is the general naming convention for ethers?

The general naming convention for ethers is to use the prefix "alkoxy" followed by the name of the two alkyl groups attached to the oxygen atom, with the longer alkyl group listed first. The suffix "-ether" is then added to the end of the name.

2. How are cyclic ethers named?

Cyclic ethers are named by first identifying the number of carbon atoms in the ring, followed by the prefix "oxa" and the number of the carbon atom where the oxygen is attached. The remaining alkyl groups attached to the ring are then named using the same conventions as non-cyclic ethers.

3. Can ethers have functional groups attached to them?

Yes, ethers can have functional groups attached to them. In this case, the ether is treated as a substituent and is named using the prefix "alkoxy". The functional group is then named as a separate substituent, using the appropriate prefix and suffix.

4. How do I name ethers with multiple oxygen atoms?

Ethers with multiple oxygen atoms are named using the prefix "di-" or "tri-" before the word "ether", depending on the number of oxygen atoms present. The rest of the naming convention follows the same rules as for simple ethers.

5. Are there any exceptions to the naming rules for ethers?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the naming rules for ethers. For example, some common names for ethers, such as "ethyl ether" and "methyl ether", are still widely used and accepted. Additionally, in some cases, the positions of the alkyl groups attached to the oxygen atom may need to be specified using numbers or letters to avoid ambiguity in the name.