Job Application -- have not heard back

In summary, the speaker is currently an electrical engineer and was asked by a former colleague to apply for a position at a new company. Despite applying, they have not heard back for three weeks and are considering reaching out to their former colleague. The position is not publicly posted and the speaker is unsure if other candidates have been contacted. They are advised to make contact with someone involved in the hiring process to learn about the timeline, competition, and expectations. The hiring process may take several months and it is not uncommon for companies to have slow HR processes.
yayablahblah
I currently work as an electrical engineer at a large company. An engineer I worked with for 1 year left the company last fall to help start a new company (approx 15 people). He recently told me they need a young electrical engineer and asked me to apply. I applied and have not heard back for 3 weeks.

That seems like a long period of time to me. I understand that often times you do not hear back from employers after a job application, but I feel that since he knew me, asked me to apply, and he would be my direct supervisor that I would at least get a job interview. Should I reach out to him in some way? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

edit... it is also important to note that this position is not publicly posted, and I am unsure if they have reached out to anyone else regarding the position.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I would give the guy a call or send him an email but you know the situation better than I do.

Likes yayablahblah
I agred with Phinds.

You should treat the application and resume submission as only part of the process. It can be critically important, particularly with smaller organizations that don't have human resources departments, that you make contact (email/phone) with someone involved in the hiring process. Find out what the timeline is for hiring. Find out if you're competing against any internal candidates. Find out what they're really hoping for in a candidate. This last part will help tremendously in a formal interview.

Likes yayablahblah
thanks for the replies. I will most likely reach out to him.

Additional information... they are looking to hire a young EE because a current EE is leaving in june of next year.

It takes MONTHS to hire someone where I work. From the time when the job is posted, responses collected, interviews arranged, scheduled, and then decisions made, and first day negotiated, I can recall four months elapsing on our last hire.

Don't be dismayed. This is all part and parcel of the HR dance.

I switched jobs in June. The economy for my sector is very hot right now so I was able to interview for 8 out of the 12 jobs I applied for before accepting a new position. Of the 4 that didn't respond by the time I got a new job, 3 have since responded asking for more information or to schedule an interview. Some companies just have horribly cumbersome HR/recruiting departments and processes which cause them to lose a lot of potential candidates.

Took me about 3 to 4 months from initial job application submission to actually getting the offer letter, with lots of dead time in between; the process of being placed into the HR/security system went on for a month or two past that.

Related to Job Application -- have not heard back

1. Why haven't I heard back from the company after submitting my job application?

There could be various reasons for not hearing back from the company after submitting your job application. It is possible that the company is still in the process of reviewing applications or they may have already received a large number of applicants and are still in the process of shortlisting candidates. It is also possible that your application did not meet the requirements of the job or there was a technical issue with your application.

2. How long should I wait to hear back after submitting my job application?

The amount of time it takes for a company to respond to job applications can vary. It is common for companies to take a few weeks to review applications and shortlist candidates. However, if you have not heard back after a few weeks, it is acceptable to follow up with the company to inquire about the status of your application.

3. Is it appropriate to follow up with the company after not hearing back from them?

It is generally acceptable to follow up with the company after not hearing back from them for a few weeks. This shows your interest in the position and can also serve as a reminder for the company to review your application. However, make sure to follow up professionally and avoid being too persistent.

4. Should I reach out to the company if I have not heard back after an interview?

If you have not heard back from the company after an interview, it is appropriate to follow up with them. This shows your continued interest in the position and can also serve as a reminder for the company to make a decision. However, make sure to give the company some time to make a decision before following up.

5. What can I do to improve my chances of hearing back from a company after submitting a job application?

To improve your chances of hearing back from a company, make sure to thoroughly review the job requirements and tailor your application to the specific job. It is also important to make sure your application is error-free and highlights your relevant skills and experiences. Networking and reaching out to connections within the company can also help increase your chances of hearing back from the company.