Jets speeding up earths rotaion

• Thread starter way2slo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jets
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential impact of jets landing in the same direction on Earth's rotation. It is argued that because jets use thrust during takeoff and landing, there is little impact on the overall rotation of the Earth. The conversation concludes that this would only have an effect if the jets were to leave the atmosphere.
way2slo
I don't know where to put this. But I was thinking about the force of a jet landing (actually stopping using the brakes) Is it possible that if all jets landed the same direction could it slow down or speed up the Earth's rotation after time?

Because a jet using thrust to take off I don't think there would be as much effect on force or friction on the tires as would stopping.. I always think of stupid stuff like this

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as the jets don't leave the atmosphere, the whole Earth and all jets on it can be considered a closed system. There's no need to look at the details to prove it.

Although it's true that the tires would not experience as much friction during takeoff as during landing, the thrust of the jet engines against the atmosphere is much greater during takeoff. So the jets takeoff with little friction against the ground and much great friction against the air, and land with little friction against the air and great friction against the ground. Net result; zero.

I would have to agree. The only way it would have any effect would be to leave the atmosphere.

In that case, it is like throwing your shoe when lying on a frictionless surface.

Related to Jets speeding up earths rotaion

1. How do jets speed up Earth's rotation?

Jets do not directly speed up Earth's rotation. However, their impact on the atmosphere can indirectly affect the planet's rotation. Jet engines produce exhaust gases that add mass to the atmosphere, which in turn increases the overall angular momentum of the Earth.

2. Can jets significantly alter Earth's rotation?

No, the impact of jets on Earth's rotation is minimal and cannot significantly alter the planet's rotation. The Earth is a massive object with a large amount of angular momentum, and the contribution of jets is relatively small in comparison.

3. Does the direction of the jets affect Earth's rotation?

Yes, the direction of the jets can have an impact on Earth's rotation. If jets are pointed in the same direction as the Earth's rotation, they can add to the planet's angular momentum. Conversely, if they are pointed in the opposite direction, they can decrease the Earth's rotation speed.

4. Are there any negative effects of jets on Earth's rotation?

No, the impact of jets on Earth's rotation is negligible and does not have any negative effects. The Earth has natural mechanisms, such as the conservation of angular momentum, that help maintain its rotation speed.

5. Could jets be used to slow down Earth's rotation?

It is theoretically possible for jets to be used to slow down Earth's rotation. However, the amount of energy and fuel needed for this would be astronomical, and it is not a feasible or practical solution.