Jesusluvsponies's question at Yahoo Answers (Real and rational roots)

In summary: I hope this helps! In summary, I have provided the rational root theorem and used it to find the rational and real roots of the given polynomials. I have also factored the last polynomial as a product of linear factors and a factor g(x), where g(x) is a polynomial with no rational roots.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

I have no idea how to do these, I missed lecture because I had the flu.
Can you please explain? I have an exam and this is part of the material covered. Thanks!

Find all rational roots of the polynomial
6x^3 + 7x^2 + 2x -10

Find all real roots of the polynomial
x^3 + x^2 -8x -8

Factor the polynomial as a product of linear factors and a factor g(x) such that g(x) is either a constant or a polynomial that has no rational roots.

x^5 -2^4 +2x^3 -3x +2 Thank you so much!

Here is a link to the question:

Polynomials, please help 10 points!? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello jesusluvsponies,

We'll use the following theorem:

Rational root theorem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

$(a)\;p(x)=6x^3 + 7x^2 + 2x -10$.

In this case, $p=\pm 1,\pm 2,\pm 5$ and $q=\pm 1,\pm 2,\pm3,\pm 6$. Substituting we get $p(5/6)=0$. Using the algorithm of Ruffini we get

$p(x)=(6x-5)(x^2+2x-2)$

But $x^2+2x-2$ has no real roots, so the only rational root of $p(x)$ is

$\boxed{\;x=5/6\;}$

$(b)\;q(x)=x^3 + x^2 -8x -8$.

In this case, $q(-1)=0$. Using the algorithm of Ruffini we get

$q(x)=(x+1)(x^2-8)$

and the real roots of $x^2-8$ are $\pm 2\sqrt{2}$, so the real roots of $q(x)$ are

$\boxed{\;x=-1,x=\pm 2\sqrt{2}\;}$

$(c)\;r(x)=x^5 -2x^4 +2x^3 -3x +2 $.

In this case, $r(1)=0$. Using the algorithm of Ruffini we get

$r(x)=(x-1)(x^4-x^3+x^2+x-2)$

But $x=1$ is a real root of $x^4-x^3+x^2+x-2$ which implies (again Ruffini)

$x^4-x^3+x^2+x-2=(x-1)(x^3+x+2)$

But $x=-1$ is a root of $x^3+x+2$ which implies (again Ruffini)

$x^3+x+2=(x+1)(x^2-x+2)$

But $x^2-x+2$ has no real roots, so

$\boxed{\;r(x)=(x-1)^2(x+1)(x^2-x+2)\;}$

Related to Jesusluvsponies's question at Yahoo Answers (Real and rational roots)

1. What does "real and rational roots" mean?

The term "real roots" refers to the values of a variable that make an equation true when substituted. In the context of polynomial equations, "rational roots" specifically refers to values that can be expressed as a fraction of two integers.

2. How do you determine if a polynomial equation has real and rational roots?

To determine if a polynomial equation has real and rational roots, you can use the Rational Root Theorem or the Descartes' Rule of Signs. The Rational Root Theorem states that the rational roots of a polynomial equation with integer coefficients will be of the form p/q, where p is a factor of the constant term and q is a factor of the leading coefficient. Descartes' Rule of Signs can help determine the number of positive and negative roots of a polynomial equation.

3. Can a polynomial equation have both real and irrational roots?

Yes, a polynomial equation can have both real and irrational roots. Irrational roots cannot be expressed as a fraction of two integers and are typically represented by decimal numbers that do not terminate or repeat.

4. How can you find the exact values of real and rational roots?

Finding the exact values of real and rational roots can be done by factoring the polynomial equation. Once the polynomial is factored, the roots can be determined by setting each factor equal to zero and solving for the variable. Another method is to use the quadratic formula for polynomials of degree two.

5. Can a polynomial equation have no real roots?

Yes, a polynomial equation can have no real roots. This happens when all of the roots are complex numbers, meaning they involve the imaginary unit, i. In this case, the graph of the polynomial will not intersect the x-axis at any point.