Giant list of science fair project ideas

In summary, someone could do a project on American antigravity.com, make their own H-bomb, or research how the architecture of a house affects how someone sleeps.
This seems to be a fairly common question. Let's make a list of possible topics and projects someone could do for these competitions.

Physics news on Phys.org
See the last post in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=204

The first website has science project ideas, and the second has a tutorial on how to write a good project report. If anyone finds more like them, you know where to send 'em.

In 6th grade, I did one called something like "How effectively do 6th graders wash their hands?" and I used the GlowBug stuff with the black light and so on. I did tests using people in my class. I got 1st at Regionals- I got a medal, and like a $10 savings check or something. It was a lot of fun.

Make a engine that runs on gravity :wink:

Rocks and Minerals

Or you can search why different sands of different colors in the same area don't mix together. In other words why do you see in the desert white sand, black sand and red sand side by side. I mean the sand storms don't seem to effect this well-incorporated separation of different sands.

I got this idea when I was doing a science fair project on rocks and minerals. I had many minerals and rocks that I had collected on a family trip to the Sahara, among my collection there were even arrowheads. Well, I thought I had covered the topic completely when, one person came up to me and asked me this very same question. Of course I mute because I never thought of the idea before.

So I thought someone would be interested. Hope, I was helpful.

What about Thomas Young's double slit experiment, along with an introduction of wave phenomenal?

how about Milken's Oil Drop Experiment? joking

I always liked sodium bicarb and vinegar.

I know that this project is one that involves quite a bt of work but what about doing a project where you research and actually make an alternate fuel like biodiesel?

Environmental Projects

You could do an environmental project if there is an environmental problem that your area has. For example, if your area suffers frequent droughts or shortages, you could find new ways to acquire water, like condensation.
With these, you sometimes get brownie points for helping your community too.

Make some chemical and biological tests of your nearby creek or river.

Make your own A-bomb http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~dionisio/fun/make-your-own-h-bomb.html
You'll learn to plan and budget projects?

Last edited by a moderator:
Or build a blimp.
This one requires some planning skizzills. It is also educational in more than just science, also in project planning and time/money management.

An electroscope is an easy project to make and to demonstrate static electricity. A jar w/lid , nylon string, foil and tape is basically all the materials that would needed.

A web search for electroscope will yield plenty of results for various designs. One I saw just used a jar w/lid, paper clip, and two small strips of foil. Couldn't be simpler.

I've always wanted to try a little project of my own. It would take a week or so to start it up, but hey, science didn't happen over night.

I wanted to make a bacteria culture (or a few of them). Maybe grow them in my garage. I'd have to make a little stable box to keep them in. ... find some little petri dishes and whatnot.

Then, using different household objects (not cleaning supplies; that's cheating), I'd try to make my own sanitizer. (I was thinking ... food items. Like onions, vinager, lemon juice. You know ... just normal stuff you'd find in the pantry.)

I'd apply a bit to each culture and see what kills what and how long it takes. My chemistry teacher would love me to pieces.

But still, there are some questions left. Like ... where do you get the bacteria? Dad's mouth when he first wakes up in the morning? Should I grow some nice pretty green mold? :shrugs: Sounds fun, any way you do it. :smile:

What about some ideas for mathematics projects? We seldom hear about those. Right now, I am particularly interested in mathematics that involve computers.

This is stupid, but...

What about, Does the Architecture of a house affect how you sleep?

Um.. I know more, but not really Math like. I'm not that into the science fair stuff, but my friend did a project about germs and she won an award.

Americanantigravity.com

fun bomb idea

Esperanto said:
Make your own A-bomb http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~dionisio/fun/make-your-own-h-bomb.html
You'll learn to plan and budget projects?
We did this in our class at school-- we modeled it out to the exact details on how to build
what materials we would need
where we would get them from
then drew out a blue print

The amount of research was intense for a math and science center for 2 weeks for 70 people, although it would be a nice project the amount of time needed to do a good job may be more than most can give.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my more favorite projects that I have done is the glowing pickle. It is fairly simple to construct and is very interesting. The project consists of two test tube racks (or something to suspend the pickle in the air), an apparatus for applying 110 volts AC (I just used a standard dimmer switch and plugged it in a wall outlet), and a pickle. You apply the voltage and see a glowing pickle.

Simply stated, when a current is run through the pickle, electrons in the NaCl will emit a bright yellow. This project demonstrates the principle behind the different colors of fireworks.

Also there are several variations to this project. For example, if you soak the pickle in a potassium chloride for about a week, the yellowish glow becomes a more fainter pink.

Hyperreality said: What about Thomas Young's double slit experiment, along with an introduction of wave phenomenal?
It's funny you say that, because that's what I did for my freshman science fair project. Wave-particle duality.

Paden Roder

hi i was just wondering if you know of any topics for a high school science fair project on fireworks? pleaase help.

alex.

Safety is #1.

What about X-rays. What are the cons of an Xray project?

Laplace, the problem is that those three sites seem to be the ONLY relevant sites I can find on the internet.

My brother built a Tesla coil, impressed the heck out of the judges, but really wasn't that difficult. Just make sure that you follow all safety precautions, such as the line voltage and middle high voltage areas (120 volt to 10,000 volt) are locked away from possible contact (plexiglass enclosure works). The ultra high voltage areas are fairly safe, this voltage just makes your hair stand on end.

I helped a friend build a transistorized electric eye, he won second prize with that.

Design and build a telescope. Detail the optical path, grind the mirror, plan the required baffling, build your own red dot finderscope, etc.

recon said:
What about some ideas for mathematics projects? We seldom hear about those. Right now, I am particularly interested in mathematics that involve computers.

Ah, if you are, then you should see Stephen Wolfram's work on cellular automata/self organising systems. He wrote a book on its applications to comuters. here's the website where you can find the book online:
http://www.wolframscience.com/nksonline/page-2

Hello, what are some good project ideas involving light, photocells, and current?

Mattius_ said:
Make a engine that runs on gravity :wink:

Water wheel?

Sterling heat engine

I just got an idea for my upcoming science fair project. I'm going to build a sterling engine out of spare parts. If you don't know what sterling engines are and how they work, check out this link: http://www.stirlingengine.com/faq/one?scope=public&faq_id=1#1
btw I am a 7th grader

only a few months my group did a project on condoms.. testing their elasticity and durability. you can tell i was in a group of 4 guys right!? anyways our research Q was how does the human body protect itself. we got 1st prize for creativity and interpretation of research question
sarah

sarahowen said:
only a few months my group did a project on condoms.. testing their elasticity and durability. you can tell i was in a group of 4 guys right!? anyways our research Q was how does the human body protect itself. we got 1st prize for creativity and interpretation of research question
sarah

So, which brand was best? :tongue2:

Does anyone have an idea for a project dealing with aerodynamics? I don't know to much about the topic, but I would love to do more reseach.
Thanks!

Last year I burned different kinds of wood until all I had left were the ashes. Then I found the density of the ashes and related it back to the wood. I did it on the idea that you would be able to find what kind of wood was burned in a forest fire by finding the density of its ashes. (No one busted me one the fact that different trees grow next to each other.)

Try depositation of dust residue on differing airfoils, like fans. Relate the shape of the residue to a modification for improved airfoil efficiency. To speed up the process, you might charge the blades slightly. Do well!