Jerusalem syndrome - new to me

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, tourists visiting Jerusalem and other places with deep religious significance often display delusional behavior, believing themselves to be a biblical character on a mission. This behavior can also occur in other locations, such as the Navajo Reservation, where a woman from New York City became lost and delusional while searching for an animal deity. This phenomenon, known as Jerusalem syndrome, is triggered by the strong religious connotations of these places and can lead to dangerous behaviors. It may be caused by a susceptibility to magical thinking or psychosis.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
Something really different:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/middl...ert-left-trail-of-torn-bible-pages-under-rocs

Tourists sometimes display what I suppose to be some kind of delusional behavior when they visit Jerusalem and vicinity. They believe they are a biblical character and have some sort of mission, for example.

The man in the news story disappeared into the desert, leaving a trail of pages of the bible placed under rocks - sort of like the bread crumbs in the Hansel and Gretel children's tale.

40 years ago, I was part of Search and Rescue on the Navajo Reservation. We were tracking a woman from New York City who apparently was lost wandering around the Bisti. When we found her she was delusional. Thought she was a Navajo hand trembler and was trying to find the the animal diety associated with it. She did not speak Navajo, was a new Presbyterian missionary, so I don't know where she got these ideas.

At the time, I thought this was a one off thing that occurred and she was the one and only example. I guess not.

Seems to be the same deal as Jerusalem syndrome - places that have some deep meaning for people with mental issues, triggering delusions and dangerous behaviors.

https://www.blm.gov/visit/bisti-de-na-zin-wilderness
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navajo_medicine#Hand_tremblers

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the cause is simply because you're getting more susceptible* people going to places where they hope to confirm their beliefs or some Freudian subconscious desire to believe in supernatural events.

*Susceptible - could mean something along the lines of a predisposition towards magical thinking, psychosis (?), and such.

1. What is Jerusalem syndrome?

Jerusalem syndrome is a psychological phenomenon where individuals visiting Jerusalem experience intense religious delusions or obsessions, leading to bizarre behaviors and beliefs.

2. Is Jerusalem syndrome a recognized disorder?

Yes, Jerusalem syndrome is recognized by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as a specific type of delusional disorder.

3. Who is most likely to experience Jerusalem syndrome?

People with a history of mental illness, religious fervor, and those who have preconceived religious beliefs about Jerusalem are most likely to experience Jerusalem syndrome.

4. Are all cases of Jerusalem syndrome the same?

No, there are three types of Jerusalem syndrome: Type I, where individuals have no prior history of mental illness, Type II, where individuals have a history of mental illness but have not previously shown signs of religious delusions, and Type III, where individuals have a history of mental illness and a preexisting religious delusion.

5. How is Jerusalem syndrome treated?

Treatment for Jerusalem syndrome involves psychiatric evaluation and medication, as well as addressing any underlying mental health issues. It may also involve removing the individual from the religious environment and providing them with a safe and supportive environment.

Back