Jeopardy "Magnet" question - hard or easy?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of magnetism and light in relation to a British scientist who was inspired by a letter from Lord Kelvin in 1845. The contestants on Jeopardy struggled to come up with the correct answer, with one mentioning James Maxwell but ultimately getting it wrong. The conversation also touched on the connection between Maxwell's equations and Faraday's Law, as well as the Faraday effect and its role in magneto-optical phenomena.
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I was watching Jeopardy last night. In the Category "Magnet" was the following:

"An 1845 letter from the 21-year-old future Lord Kelvin inspired this British scientist to show how magnetism & light are related"

My guess:

Maxwell
I was pretty sure this was wrong, based on the 1845 time frame, but I couldn't come up with another answer before the buzzer.

The contestant obviously didn't know either, she finally said,
"Who is Cavendish"

The right answer
"Faraday"

Would you get that right? The Jeopardy "science" questions are almost always easy definitions (like, "It is denoted by 'c' in the famous Einstein equation E=mc2").

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. (I probably watch too many documentaries.)

Last edited:
I got it wrong as well, but I don't remember what my reply was. Pretty embarassing, but I'm not very good with those old dates / timeframes. o0)

gmax137 said:
I was pretty sure this was wrong, based on the 1845 time frame

Good guess, since Maxwell would have been 14. The easy way to sequence Maxwell and Faraday is to recognize that Maxwell's equations subsume Faraday's Law. Cavendish is in the wrong direction.

Likes Klystron, BillTre, Doc Al and 1 other person
What tripped me up was magnetism and light. When I think of Faraday, it's induced currents, dynamos, etc., not light.

But,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_effect :
In physics, the Faraday effect or Faraday rotation is a magneto-optical phenomenon—that is, an interaction between light and a magnetic field in a medium. (The effect is also sometimes referred to as the magneto-optic Faraday effect or MOFE.[1]) The Faraday effect causes a rotation of the plane of polarization which is linearly proportional to the component of the magnetic field in the direction of propagation.​

I must have missed that in my EM class. But that was 40+ years ago, so who knows.

1. What is the definition of a magnet?

A magnet is a material or object that produces a magnetic field, which is a force that can attract or repel certain materials such as iron, nickel, cobalt, and steel.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by having microscopic magnetic fields created by the movement of electrons within the material. These microscopic fields align and create a larger magnetic field that can attract or repel other magnetic materials.

3. What are the two poles of a magnet?

The two poles of a magnet are the north pole and the south pole. Like poles repel each other, while opposite poles attract each other.

4. Can a magnet lose its magnetism?

Yes, a magnet can lose its magnetism over time due to various factors such as exposure to high temperatures, strong external magnetic fields, or physical damage.

5. How are magnets used in everyday life?

Magnets have various uses in everyday life, such as in compasses, speakers, electric motors, credit cards, and MRI machines. They are also used in industrial applications for lifting and separating metal objects.