Exploring Time Travel and Fate in Donnie Darko: A Must-See Movie

• Thread starter Sunfist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the movie "Donnie Darko" and the varying opinions on its handling of time travel and alternate universes. It is mentioned that the movie is not meant to be a scientific explanation of these concepts but is still thought-provoking and relatable to some viewers. The use of symbolism, like the funnel, is also discussed and interpreted differently by different individuals. Some recommend other movies with better portrayals of time travel, while others disagree and defend the movie's unique approach. The idea of a "Tangent Universe" is also mentioned, with a suggestion to read the "Philosophy of Time Travel" for a better understanding.
Sunfist
Have any of you seen the movie "Donnie Darko"? What do you think about it. I know it doesn't handle time travel and the roll of fate and alternate universes in the most 100% scientific way possible, but I find it very interesting. In fact, it's become one of my favorite movies.

Physics news on Phys.org
i love that movie and i'd highly recommend it to anyone.

i do like the fact that no one postulated (within the movie) that the experiences were at all spiritual in nature; that term seems to be a cop out to scientists seeing concrete explanations. indeed, perhaps everything will have a concrete explanation one day. that would appeal to the mathematican in me.

i see some similarities between donnie and myself at times. if i could just find my own dr. carter as a physics teacher, i'd be happy. i am happy about never seeing anything like frank, though i have seen some things...

in some ways it reminds me of dr. nash and his breaks with reality as most people see it. apparently when nash went to einstein to revise relativity, einstein told nash to learn some more physics...

cheers,
phoenix

I know what you mean. After seeing that movie, as much as I'd like to not admit it, I start to relate it to my life sometimes. The Donnie/Frank dichotomy and stuff. Very good.

I saw that movie and I really liked it. I need to see it again to understand it better.
Can any of you explain in detail behind the funnel coming out of his stomach. I didn't understand how that would be possible.

i think the funnel indicated where one was desiring to go or in donnie's case, where he didn't know he wanted to go.

i think in donnie darko the funnels were indeed workers as mentioned in the movie and that they were assigned to every person to direct them on the correct paths but early in the time of man we became caught up in what is "real" and we lost sight due to our thoughts which goes with the theory that thoughts rule reality not reality itself.

Donnie Darko was not a bad movie,
but it was lousy from the perspective of time
travel, since it was not even supposed to
be a time travel movie.
The director of Donnie Darko in one of the
interviews said that everything that
happened in the movie was just imagined
by Donnie right before he died in his bed.

If you want truly coherent time travel
movie, cite "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" (even though
it's silly), and "Twelve Monkeys".
Time Machine, Terminator, Donnie Darko, they just
dont work.

Whoever is trying to give more sense to
the Donnie Darko movie is trying to assert
something that was never there.

Actuallu ambient, the original Terminator film(not the last two) had a pretty good interpretation of time travel if it's possible: you can't change it, but reinforce it.

You are right chronus,
the Terminator's continuity was ruined by the sequels.

THe first Terminator movie had it perfectly right.

Originally posted by ambient
The director of Donnie Darko in one of the
interviews said that everything that
happened in the movie was just imagined
by Donnie right before he died in his bed.

Is your source on that reliable?
Because that's not what actually happens at all.
If you want to understand, read 'The Philosophy of Time Travel'
It's not a real book, but it's on the DVD, and you can find copies of it on the 'Net, just run up a Google search for it...

Basically, everything that occurs in the movie takes place in the so-called 'Tangent Universe', and Donnie is the 'Living Reciever'.
But if you want that to make sense you'll have to read the book.

Well, toodles, people!

1. What is the plot of Donnie Darko?

Donnie Darko is a 2001 science fiction film that follows a troubled teenager named Donnie who begins to experience strange occurrences and visions after a jet engine crashes into his room. As he delves deeper into these events, he discovers a connection to time travel and a mysterious entity known as Frank.

2. How does time travel play a role in the movie?

Time travel is a central theme in Donnie Darko, as the main character Donnie becomes aware of his ability to travel through time and alter the events of his life. He uses this power to navigate through a complex web of fate and destiny, ultimately leading to a shocking and thought-provoking ending.

3. What is the significance of fate in Donnie Darko?

Fate is a major concept in Donnie Darko, as the film explores the idea that certain events in our lives are predetermined and cannot be changed. The characters in the movie grapple with their predestined paths and the consequences of trying to change their fate, ultimately raising questions about free will and the nature of time.

4. How does Donnie Darko challenge traditional storytelling techniques?

Donnie Darko is known for its non-linear narrative and mind-bending plot twists, which challenge traditional storytelling techniques. The film also incorporates elements of science fiction, horror, and psychological thriller genres, creating a unique and thought-provoking viewing experience.

5. Why is Donnie Darko considered a must-see movie?

Donnie Darko has gained a cult following since its release, with many considering it a must-see movie due to its thought-provoking themes, complex plot, and exceptional performances by its cast. The film tackles philosophical concepts such as time travel, fate, and identity in a way that will leave audiences thinking long after the credits roll.