How Do I Solve This Tricky Calculus Problem About Rolling Ball Bearings?

In summary: And the angle at max speed is not 45 degrees.In summary, the conversation discusses solving a calculus problem involving a rolling ball bearing on an incline plane. The distance the ball rolls in t seconds is given by a function and the question asks to determine the speed and the angle that produces the maximum speed. The conversation includes a discussion of derivatives and finding the maximum velocity at a particular time. Ultimately, the correct answer is determined to be an angle other than 45 degrees.
Tony Zalles
Hi,

Ok I'm havin troubles trying to solve this calculus problem.

-Rolling a Ball Bearing-
A ball bearing is placed on an incline plane and begins to roll. The angle of elevation of the plane is θ.
The distance (in meters) the ball bearing rolls in t seconds is

s(t) = 4.9(sin θ)t^2

a. Determine the speed of the ball bearing.

b. What value of θ will produce the maximum speed at a particular time.

Ok so here is how I "tackled" the problem.

ok part a, asks for speed so I take the derivative of the function to get velocity.

v(t) = (0)(sin θ)(t^2) + (4.9)(cos θ)(t^2) + (4.9)(sin θ)(2t)
v(t) = 4.9(t^2)(cos θ) + (9.8t)(sin θ)

ok now from here I'm not sure if my next steps are right...

Ok since they asked for the speed, I'm assuming they want an actual value...versus what I have thus far...

ok now setting what I have for v(t) to zero, I solve for t,

thus I get: t = -2tan θ

Now I take that value and put it back into my original equation.

Now I have s(t) = 4.9(sin θ)(-2tan θ)^2

Now I solve for θ, by setting s(t) equal to zero.

but I end up with this...

4 = (cos θ)^2, and I don't think this is the right answer...

So any help on this would be nice,

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok part a, asks for speed so I take the derivative of the function to get velocity.

In particular, you're taking the derivative with respect to t.

θ is a constant with respect to t... try to differentiate again.

Ok since they asked for the speed, I'm assuming they want an actual value...versus what I have thus far...

Nope. Aside from your mistake, they want what you had.

ok now setting what I have for v(t) to zero, I solve for t,

Why set v(t) to 0? You're trying to maximize v(t) with respect to θ, right? You want to set zero equal to the derivative of v(t) with respect to θ.

In particular, you're taking the derivative with respect to t.

θ is a constant with respect to t... try to differentiate again..

hmn...yea actually right after I posted, I wondered if I was differentiating wrong.

Ok so the correct differentiation should be as follows.

v(t) = 9.8(cos θ)(sin θ)t

therefore that's part A right there.

Part B than should be the derivative of part A, set equal to zero.

Code:
a(t) = (sin θ)(cos θ)
   0 = (sin θ)(cos θ)
   θ = 45 Degrees

Ok, I hope i got it right this time.

Thanks,

Your derivative is still wrong... try writing out all of the steps (like you did when you first learned derivatives) and maybe you'll see your mistake... or at least I'll be able to see what you did wrong when you post it.

For the first part of this problem θ is CONSTANT. What is the derivative of at2? Now replace a with 4.9cos(θ).

After you have that velocity (at any time t), you want to start thinking "what would happen if we changed θ?". Specifically, what value of θ gives the maximum velocity. Now t is fixed and θ is the variable!

Well, your first mistake is using the velocity function as your speed function. Velocity IS NOT the same as speed. Speed is the magnitude of velocity. You should probably fix that first. Everything else will fall into place as you go along.

Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

Hopefully Tony Zalles is not still working on this problem after more than 6 years. However, note that the ball simply moves down the slope (starting from rest) without reversing direction. So the speed-velocity distinction is not important here.

What is a "Hard Calculus Word Problem"?

A "Hard Calculus Word Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves using advanced concepts and techniques from calculus to solve a real-world scenario or situation. These problems typically require a deep understanding of calculus principles and may involve multiple steps and applications of various formulas and theorems.

Why are "Hard Calculus Word Problems" challenging?

"Hard Calculus Word Problems" are challenging because they require a strong foundation in calculus concepts and the ability to apply these concepts to complex real-world situations. These problems often involve multiple variables, non-linear relationships, and require advanced problem-solving skills.

How can I improve my skills in solving "Hard Calculus Word Problems"?

To improve your skills in solving "Hard Calculus Word Problems", it is important to have a thorough understanding of calculus concepts and principles. Regular practice and exposure to a variety of problems can also help improve your problem-solving skills. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with specific concepts or problems.

What are some tips for solving "Hard Calculus Word Problems"?

Some tips for solving "Hard Calculus Word Problems" include carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying the relevant variables and equations, and breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or create visual representations to better understand the problem.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Hard Calculus Word Problems"?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Hard Calculus Word Problems" include not fully understanding the problem, using incorrect formulas or equations, and making careless errors in calculations. It is important to always double-check your work and make sure your solution makes sense in the context of the problem.