Maximizing Parallelogram Area: A Mathematical Approach

• Thread starter travishillier
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the area of a parallelogram with a base length of 12cm. To increase the area by 54cm^2, the base length is increased by 2cm and the height is increased by 3cm. Using the formula A=b*h, the original area is 72cm^2 and the new area is 126cm^2. By finding the difference between the two areas, it is determined that the original height is 6cm.
travishillier
Need some serious math help ...

Heres teh question ...

A Parallelogram has a base length of 12cm. In order to increse teh area of teh paralleogram by 54cm(squared), the length of the base is increased by 2cm and the height is incresed by 3cm . Find the area of the original parallelogram.

The solution requires me to use fully defined variables, formula(s), all steps shown using good math form and concluding statements with appropriate units .

Any help is greatly appreaciated ... PLMK what ui can do to help me ...

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
area of a parallelogram = b*h

area of "old" p-gram = b*h = 12h cm
area of "new" p-gram = (b+2 cm)(h+3 cm) = (12 cm + 2 cm)(h+3 cm) = (14 cm)(h+3 cm) = 14h cm + 42 cm^2

So, the area increased by 54 cm^2, so:

(area "new" p-gram) - (area "old" p-gram) = 54cm^2

14h cm + 42 cm^2 - 12h cm = 54cm^2
2h cm + 42 cm^2 = 54cm^2
2h cm = 12 cm^2
h = 6 cm

So, the original height is 6 cm.

Original formula: A=b*h=(12 cm)(6 cm) = 72 cm^2

And, just to check with the new area...

A=(b+2)(h+3)=(12 cm +2 cm)(6 cm + 3 cm)=(14 cm)(9 cm) = 126 cm^2

And make sure the difference is 54: 126 cm^2 - 72 cm^2 = 54cm^2

hey, thanks a lot for teh info on this question .. you could not of helped me any more ... thanks a mill

1. What makes math a difficult subject for some people?

There are several factors that can make math challenging for some individuals. These include a lack of foundational knowledge in basic math concepts, difficulty understanding abstract concepts, poor problem-solving skills, and a lack of interest or motivation.

2. How can I improve my math skills?

The best way to improve your math skills is through practice and repetition. Start by reviewing basic math concepts and building a strong foundation. Then, work on challenging yourself with more difficult problems and seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed. Additionally, finding real-life applications for math can make it more engaging and easier to understand.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in math?

Some common mistakes to avoid in math include not reading the problem carefully, making careless errors in calculations, and not showing your work. It is also important to avoid relying too heavily on memorization and instead focus on understanding the concepts and applying them to different problems.

4. What resources are available for math help?

There are numerous resources available for math help, including textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and tutoring services. Many schools also offer math support through after-school programs or peer tutoring. It is important to find the resource that works best for you and to use it consistently for the best results.

5. How can I overcome math anxiety?

Math anxiety is a common issue for many individuals, but there are ways to overcome it. Start by acknowledging your anxiety and recognizing that it is a normal response to a challenging subject. Then, try to identify the root cause of your anxiety and address it. This may include seeking help from a teacher or tutor, breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable chunks, and practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or positive self-talk.