Exploring the Impact of Jealousy on Our Lives

• Thread starter scott_sieger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Toxicity
So God is saying that he is a competative God, and wants people to be loyal to him.In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of jealousy and its various forms, as well as its relationship with envy. Some argue that jealousy can be constructive in small doses, while others see it as a destructive and corrupting emotion. The conversation also touches on the difference between jealousy and envy and their definitions, as well as a religious reference to a "jealous God." Overall, the conversation raises questions about the role of jealousy and its impact on individuals and society.
scott_sieger
Hi,

When considering all the various emotions that we as people demonstrate, Jealousy seems to me to be the most counter productive.

As an energy it is self destructive and very corrupting.

Jealousy is not just restricted to it's usual context but can be seen in so many ways. Intellectual jealousy, money jealousy, freedom jealousy etc etc.

I was wondering what other forum members had to say about this rather insane emotion we so often feel and how it equates to it's brother envy.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what to say in regards to jealousy, but I think that denial is even worse state of mind.

jealousy/envy... one of the 7 deadly sins...

i think in small doses, its encouraging, makes a person work a little harder for things, gives them goals and whatnot.

other than that, i can't really say. I'm not a terribly jealous person, so I'm not too familiar with it. I think it may sort of coincide with Pride, which i see as one of the worst of the deadly sins.

Jealousy can beget humility. I once coveted a woman who preferred another man, perhaps in part to hurt me. I was angry and pained, but before two weeks were over, they had broken up their immature relationship. My friendship with both of them still lasts, but their mutual contact discontinued years ago.

What's the difference between jealousy and envy?

I do realize that envy can be quite constructive at times but I can think of no instance where jealousy is.

Jealous:
1a. Intolerant rivalry or unfaithfulness b. disposed to suspect rivalry or unfaithfulness
2. hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage
3. vigilant in guarding a possesion
Envy:
1. painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possesses the same advantage
2. (I didn't understand what it was saying)
3. an object of envious notice or feeling

Courtesy of http://www.m-w.com, though I've obviously paraphrased.

Originally posted by scott_sieger
I do realize that envy can be quite constructive at times but I can think of no instance where jealousy is.

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me, for I am a jealous God..."

Originally posted by FZ+
"Thou shalt have no other gods before me, for I am a jealous God..."

Please explain how this is constructive.

Well, you can either say this this helped construct an awesome machine of destruction of other cultures by the use of the Inquistion, missionaries and the rest, or you can say that it help construct a path to get people closer to "god".

Depends on your interpretation, of course.

Dont think that's what he means

"Though shalt have no other gods before me, for I am a jealous God..."

From what I understand, in the Bible, (which I believe is where you got this from) the words are very old, and may have had slightly different meanings at the time the bible was written. The word jealous is, of course, is the word I'm talking about.

"Jealous" can also mean "competative" (as for loyalty).

1. What is jealousy?

Jealousy is a complex emotion that involves feelings of insecurity, fear, anger, and resentment over the possibility of losing something or someone important to us to someone else.

2. Is jealousy a natural human emotion?

Yes, jealousy is a natural human emotion that has evolved as a way to protect our relationships and ensure the survival of our genes. It is a common feeling that everyone experiences to some degree.

3. Can jealousy be beneficial?

In some cases, jealousy can be beneficial as it can motivate us to work harder to maintain our relationships and can help us identify areas where we may need to improve. However, excessive jealousy can have negative effects on our mental and emotional well-being.

4. How does jealousy affect relationships?

Jealousy can have both positive and negative effects on relationships. In small doses, it can help us appreciate our partners more and strengthen our bond. However, if left unchecked, it can lead to trust issues, resentment, and ultimately damage the relationship.

5. Can jealousy be controlled?

Yes, jealousy can be controlled. It is important to recognize and acknowledge our feelings of jealousy, and then work on addressing the root causes of these feelings. Communication and trust are key in managing jealousy in relationships.