Jacobson Radical and Direct Sums - Bland, Proposition 6.1.4

In summary, in the conversation above, Peter is seeking clarification on Proposition 6.1.4 and its proof in Paul E. Bland's book "Rings and Their Modules". He specifically asks for an explanation of how the canonical injections apply to the Jacobson radical of modules and for a simple explanation of what is happening in the proof. Another user provides a detailed explanation using the statement in Exercise 3 of the book. They also discuss the case where a module has no proper maximal submodules and confirm that in this case, the Jacobson radical is equal to the module itself.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Section 6.1 The Jacobson Radical ... ...

I need help with the proof of Proposition 6.1.4 ...Proposition 6.1.4 and its proof read as follows:
?temp_hash=be393751ff6786a2f6330d129dbba91d.png

In the above proof from Bland we read:"... ... If ##i_1 \ : \ M_1 \longrightarrow M_1 \oplus M_2## and ##i_2 \ : \ M_2 \longrightarrow M_1 \oplus M_2## are the canonical injections, then (a) of Exercise 3 shows that

##i_k \ : \ \text{ Rad}(M_k) \longrightarrow \text{ Rad}(M_1 \oplus M_2)## ... ...

... ... ... "
My question/problem/issue is that I cannot understand the meaning of the statement that (a) of Exercise 3 shows that

##i_k \ : \ \text{ Rad}(M_k) \longrightarrow \text{ Rad}(M_1 \oplus M_2)## ... ...How, exactly, do the canonical injections ##i_k## apply to ##\text{ Rad}(M_k)## and ##\text{ Rad}(M_1 \oplus M_2)## ... ...

Is it trivially simple in that ##\text{ Rad}(M_k)## is a set of elements of ##M_k## and so the canonical injection operates as usual? But then... why do we need Exercise 3?

Can someone explain in simple terms ... ... exactly what is going on ...

Peter

=============================================================================
NOTE ... ... The above post refers to Exercise 3 of Bland, Section 6.1 so I am providing the text of that example ... as follows:

Attachments

• Bland - 1 - Proposition 6.1.4 and Proof - PART 1 ... ....png
    Bland - 1 - Proposition 6.1.4 and Proof - PART 1 ... ....png
    12.1 KB · Views: 580
  • Bland - 2 - Proposition 6.1.4 and Proof - PART 2 ... ....png
    Bland - 2 - Proposition 6.1.4 and Proof - PART 2 ... ....png
    34.7 KB · Views: 620
  • Bland - Problem 3 - Problems 6-1, page 177 ... ....png
    Bland - Problem 3 - Problems 6-1, page 177 ... ....png
    22.3 KB · Views: 590
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
In the above proof from Bland we read:
"... ... If ##i_1 \ : \ M_1 \longrightarrow M_1 \oplus M_2## and ##i_2 \ : \ M_2 \longrightarrow M_1 \oplus M_2## are the canonical injections, then (a) of Exercise 3 shows that

##i_k \ : \ \text{ Rad}(M_k) \longrightarrow \text{ Rad}(M_1 \oplus M_2)## ... ..."

My question/problem/issue is that I cannot understand the meaning of the statement that (a) of Exercise 3 shows that

##i_k \ : \ \text{ Rad}(M_k) \longrightarrow \text{ Rad}(M_1 \oplus M_2)## ... ...

How, exactly, do the canonical injections ##i_k## apply to ##\text{ Rad}(M_k)## and ##\text{ Rad}(M_1 \oplus M_2)## ... ...
Hi Peter,

it is a direct application of the statement in exercise 3.
For any ##R-##homomorphism ##f\, : \,M \rightarrow N## of ##R-##modules we have ##f(rad(M)) \subseteq rad(N)##.

Now chose ##M:=M_1\, , \,N:=M_1\oplus M_2\, , \,f := \iota_1 \, , \,M_1 \subseteq M_1\oplus M_2## and ex.3 says ##\iota_1(rad(M_1)) = rad(M_1) \subseteq rad(M_1\oplus M_2)##
The same goes of course for ##M_2## and ##\iota_2(rad(M_2)) = rad(M_2) \subseteq rad(M_1\oplus M_2)##
Therefore ##rad(M_1) \oplus rad (M_2) \subseteq rad(M_1\oplus M_2)##.

For the proof of exercise 3 with ##f## an ##R-##homomorphism ##f\, : \,M \rightarrow N## of ##R-##modules we consider an arbitrary maximal submodule ##N' \subsetneq N## and the projection ##\pi\, : \,N \twoheadrightarrow N/N'## onto the simple module ##N/N'## and the map ##\varphi := \pi \circ f\, : \, M \rightarrow N/N'\,.## Then we must show that ##M':=ker \varphi## is a maximal submodule of ##M## and thus contains ##rad(M)\,.## If you haven't done it already you should try to prove it and fill the gaps in my outline.

Likes Math Amateur
just a guess, in the next to last line, did you mean: "kerphi is either a maximal (proper) submodule of M or the whole module M" ?by the way, just curious, if a module M has no proper maximal submodules, is the jacobson radical equal to M?

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
just a guess, in the next to last line, did you mean: "kerphi is either a maximal (proper) submodule of M or the whole module M" ?
I did not mention this special case, yes.
##rad (M) \subseteq M = ker \varphi \Rightarrow \varphi =0 \Rightarrow \varphi(rad(M)) = \{0\} \Rightarrow f(rad(M)) \subseteq ker(\pi) = N'\,.##
and the rest of the argument is the same as in the case ##M'\subsetneq M\,.##
by the way, just curious, if a module M has no proper maximal submodules, is the jacobson radical equal to M?
Yes, by convention. We've had an interesting discussion of this case here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/jacobson-radical-and-rad-m-bland-corollary-6-1-3.898836/

Likes Math Amateur

Related to Jacobson Radical and Direct Sums - Bland, Proposition 6.1.4

What is the Jacobson Radical?

The Jacobson Radical is a concept in abstract algebra that refers to the intersection of all maximal left ideals in a ring. It is denoted by J(R) and can also be defined as the set of all elements in a ring R that annihilate all elements in R under left multiplication.

What is the significance of the Jacobson Radical?

The Jacobson Radical plays an important role in understanding the structure of rings. It can be used to define the concept of semisimplicity, which is a property of rings that is closely related to the existence of direct sums. Additionally, the Jacobson Radical can help determine if a ring is Artinian or Noetherian.

How is the Jacobson Radical related to direct sums?

Bland, Proposition 6.1.4 states that if a ring R is Artinian, then every left ideal of R is a direct sum of simple ideals. The Jacobson Radical is crucial in proving this proposition, as it allows for the decomposition of a left ideal into a direct sum of simple ideals.

What is a direct sum?

In abstract algebra, a direct sum is a binary operation that combines two mathematical objects, such as groups or vector spaces, into a new object. It is similar to addition, but with the added condition that the two objects must be disjoint.

What is the connection between the Jacobson Radical and semisimple rings?

A ring R is semisimple if and only if its Jacobson Radical J(R) is equal to the zero ideal. This means that there are no non-trivial left ideals in R, which in turn implies that R can be decomposed into a direct sum of simple ideals. Therefore, the Jacobson Radical is closely related to the concept of semisimplicity in rings.