Jacobian for multi-variable

In summary, the speaker asks if they can write the expression f(u,v,w,h) du dv dw dh as G(r,s,t,h) J(r,s,t) dr ds dt dh, where J is the jacobian transformation, after changing the variables u, v, and w to s, r, and t while keeping h constant. The responder says that this is possible as long as the transformation is "nice" and suggests keeping h as a new variable for consistency.
femas
Hi,

Assume that I have f(u,v,w,h) du dv dw dh and I need only to change three variables (u, v, w) say to other variables called (s, r, t) and keep h as is it is

So my question can I write this as

f(u,v,w,h) du dv dw dh = G(r,s,t,h) J(r,s,t) dr ds dt dh

where J is jacobian transformation. What is the condition that has to be satisfied?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can always do it (as long as the transformation is nice). If you want to be completely consistent, let h' (new) = h (old) so you will be working with a four variable transformation.

Thanks for your reply!

Related to Jacobian for multi-variable

What is a Jacobian for multi-variable?

A Jacobian for multi-variable is a mathematical tool used to analyze the relationship between multiple variables and their respective rates of change. It is commonly used in vector calculus and is represented by a matrix of partial derivatives.

What is the purpose of calculating a Jacobian for multi-variable?

The purpose of calculating a Jacobian for multi-variable is to gain a better understanding of how each variable in a system affects the others. It allows for the determination of sensitivity and stability of a system, and is often used in optimization and control problems.

How is a Jacobian matrix constructed?

A Jacobian matrix is constructed by taking the partial derivatives of each variable with respect to all other variables in the system, and arranging them in a matrix format. Each row represents the derivatives of one variable, and each column represents the derivatives with respect to one variable.

Can a Jacobian for multi-variable be used for non-linear systems?

Yes, a Jacobian for multi-variable can be used for both linear and non-linear systems. However, for non-linear systems, the Jacobian matrix must be evaluated at a specific point in order to accurately represent the system's behavior at that point.

What are some real-world applications of a Jacobian for multi-variable?

A Jacobian for multi-variable has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is commonly used in fluid dynamics, robotics, financial modeling, and many other areas where multiple variables and their interactions need to be analyzed.