Jackson, Problem 5.2 (b); solenoid currents and fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of current in a solenoid and how it relates to the direction of the loops and the direction of the wire. It is explained that the current in the vertical direction is equal to the current in each individual loop, as long as a horizontal plane does not intersect more than one strand of wire. The concept is further illustrated by modeling a current loop as a helix and computing the B field at half the length of the loop using the law of Bio-Savart.
BREAD

Homework Statement

upload_2017-5-11_19-16-36.png

upload_2017-5-11_19-17-33.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

These are problem 5.1 (b) and the solution.
I understood the gap between each loop is 1/N, but why does each loop have vertical direction current amount of I/N ?? [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
BREAD said:

I understood the gap between each loop is 1/N, but why does each loop have vertical direction current amount of I/N ?? [/B]
The explanation appears to me to be backward. I would look at it this way: The rate at which charge flows in the direction of the solenoid axis is I, the current in the wire. It does not matter how many coils you look at. The current in the direction of the axis is always I so long as the coils continue to progress in the same direction. If the windings were to reverse direction at some point with the end of the coil wire at the same position as the beginning of the wire, there would be no current in the axial direction.

AM

BREAD said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 203362
View attachment 203363

Homework Equations

Jackson is talking about the case ("a real solenoid") of a continuous coil of wire, which means that the loops are connected. For the loops to be connected, it means that traveling around one loop takes you up a distance of 1/N to get to the next loop. So the velocity of a charge flowing through the loop must have components [itex]v_{tangential}[/itex] and [itex]v_{vertical}[/itex] so that [itex]\frac{v_{tangential}}{v_{vertical}} = \frac{2 \pi R}{\frac{1}{N}}[/itex]. Traveling [itex]2\pi R[/itex] tangentially (around the loop) takes place in the same time as traveling [itex]\frac{1}{N}[/itex] vertically (where [itex]R[/itex]) is the radius of the loop).

Andrew Mason said:
The explanation appears to me to be backward. I would look at it this way: The rate at which charge flows in the direction of the solenoid axis is I, the current in the wire.

Well, it's not completely obvious. I is the current through each little bit of wire, but the direction of the current is not vertical. (I'm imagining the coil oriented with the axis vertical). So it's not immediately obvious that there is a current of I in the vertical direction. Or at least not to me.

Here's a way to see it that works for me:

By definition, the total current in the vertical direction at a particular height is the charge per unit time flowing past the horizontal plane at that height. As long as the plane only intersects a single coil of the wire, the charge per unit time flowing past the horizontal plane will be the same as the current I in each coil. It doesn't matter how the wire is coiled, so long as a horizontal plane never intersects more than a single strand of wire. If the wire doubles back in some strange way, then a horizontal plane will intersect more than one strand, and the charge per second through that plane will be something other than I.

So it doesn't matter whether the coil is regular loops, or some random pattern, as long as traveling along the wire always takes you some nonzero distance vertically.

stevendaryl said:
Well, it's not completely obvious. I is the current through each little bit of wire, but the direction of the current is not vertical. (I'm imagining the coil oriented with the axis vertical). So it's not immediately obvious that there is a current of I in the vertical direction. Or at least not to me.
My reasoning is similar to yours except that I just took two arbitrary points on the wire (ie separated by a distance along the axis) and asked: what is the charge per unit time that flows between those points?

AM

I suggest that you model one current loop as a helix (the case in a real solenoid) and compute the B field at half the length of the loop using the law of Bio-Savart. You will find that there is a ##B_z## component and a ##B_\theta## component (which is proportional to ##B_z## with proportionality constant equal to the pitch of the helix). Averaging over N loops yields a ##B_\theta## which is the field produced by a linear wire in the z direction.

Related to Jackson, Problem 5.2 (b); solenoid currents and fields

1. What is the equation for the magnetic field inside a solenoid?

The magnetic field inside a solenoid can be calculated using the equation B = μ₀nI, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

2. How does the direction of the magnetic field inside a solenoid change with the direction of the current?

The direction of the magnetic field inside a solenoid is always parallel to the axis of the solenoid. The direction of the field can be determined using the right hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the curled fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. How does increasing the current through a solenoid affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field inside a solenoid is directly proportional to the current flowing through the solenoid. This means that increasing the current will result in a stronger magnetic field, while decreasing the current will result in a weaker magnetic field.

4. Can the magnetic field inside a solenoid be turned off?

Yes, the magnetic field inside a solenoid can be turned off by either turning off the current or by using a material with high magnetic permeability, such as iron, to redirect the magnetic field lines.

5. What is the difference between a solenoid and a bar magnet?

A solenoid is a long coil of wire with many turns, while a bar magnet is a solid piece of material with a magnetic field. The magnetic field inside a solenoid is uniform and can be turned on and off, while the magnetic field of a bar magnet is non-uniform and cannot be turned off.