Iv'e got every value except velocity initial and acceleration. help ?

In summary, the problem involves a lab cart passing through two photo gate timers 3.0 m apart in 4.2 s with a velocity of 1.2 m/s at the second timer. The task is to find the cart's velocity at the first gate and its acceleration. By using the formula Vavg = (Vf + Vi)/2 and other relevant equations, we can calculate the initial velocity and acceleration of the cart.
pokeefer

Homework Statement

An accelerating lab cart passes through two photo gate timers 3.0 m apart in 4.2 s. The velocity of the cart at the second timer is 1.2 m/s (4 marks)

a.) What is the cart’s velocity at the first gate?

b.) What is the acceleration?

Homework Equations

v = vi + at
Vaverage = d/t
d = vi(t) + 0.5 at^2
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

d = 3m
t = 4.2 seconds
vf = 1.2 m/s
vi = ?
a = ?I have tried all of those formulas and they have at least 2 unknowns afterwards.

The question is worth 4 marks so velocity initial can't be 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
posted in error.

Does that mean this question is invalid?

And if so should I write this as my answer and just hand it in?

pokeefer said:
Does that mean this question is invalid?

And if so should I write this as my answer and just hand it in?

No, it means what I'd posted didn't address your problem, and having submitted I couldn't just delete the whole thing. Sorry for being ambiguous

See if you can find this formula in your book: For uniform acceleration Vavg = (Vf + Vi)/2.

From that and what you've already got, you can get Vi, which let's you get a.

Last edited:

Based on the information given, it seems that you are missing some crucial information. In order to solve for the initial velocity and acceleration, we need to know either the time it takes for the cart to pass through the first gate, or the distance it travels between the two gates. Without this information, it is impossible to accurately determine the initial velocity and acceleration of the cart.

In order to accurately solve this problem, I would suggest going back to the original source of the problem and checking if there is any missing information or if any information was accidentally left out. It is also possible that there may be a typo in the problem itself.

If you are unable to obtain the missing information, you could make an educated guess or estimate for the values based on the given information, but this would not provide an accurate or precise answer. It is important to have all necessary information in order to solve a problem in a scientific manner.

Related to Iv'e got every value except velocity initial and acceleration. help ?

1. What do the terms "velocity initial" and "acceleration" mean?

"Velocity initial" refers to the initial or starting velocity of an object, while "acceleration" refers to the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. In other words, velocity initial is the speed and direction at which an object is moving at the beginning of a given time period, while acceleration is how much the object's speed and direction change during that time period.

2. How do I calculate velocity initial and acceleration?

To calculate velocity initial, you need to know the displacement (change in position) of the object and the time it took to travel that distance. Velocity initial is calculated by dividing the displacement by the time. Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. You can also use equations such as v = u + at and a = (v-u)/t, where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time.

3. Can velocity initial and acceleration be negative?

Yes, velocity initial and acceleration can be negative. A negative velocity means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its positive velocity. Similarly, a negative acceleration means that the object is slowing down or accelerating in the opposite direction of its positive acceleration. This can occur when an object is decelerating, changing direction, or moving in the opposite direction of a positive reference point.

4. What units are used to measure velocity initial and acceleration?

Velocity initial is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h), while acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2). However, depending on the situation, other units such as feet per second (ft/s) or miles per hour (mph) may be used as well.

5. Are velocity initial and acceleration constant or can they change?

Velocity initial and acceleration can change over time. While velocity initial refers to the initial velocity of an object, it may change as the object moves due to factors such as gravity, friction, or external forces. Similarly, acceleration can also change over time due to changes in velocity or external forces acting on the object. In some cases, velocity initial and acceleration may be constant, but in most situations, they are subject to change.