Ivanenko, Logunov and even Zelmanov

In summary, the Russian scientists worked on an alternative theory of gravity that differs from General Relativity. They claim that it is more accurate and has different predictions than General Relativity.
Carlos L. Janer
What do you think about the work done by these Russians to give alternative formulations to General Relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do we get a link?

Carlos L. Janer said:
What do you think about the work done by these Russians to give alternative formulations to General Relativity?

At the link

https://archive.org/details/LogunovMestvirishviliTheRelativisticTheoryOfGravitation

you will find The Relativistic Theory of Gravitation by Logunov and Mestvirishvili, translated into English. It is a difficult read, but more readable than many serious books on gravitation. Unfortunately, it was a little beyond my endurance.

Likes dextercioby
Carlos L. Janer said:

I'm not sure I would call this work an alternative formulation of GR. I don't think that was the authors' intention either. I think their intention was to give an alternative theory of gravity, in competition with GR. This work is not considered mainstream. I'm not familiar enough with it to know how much its predictions differ from those of GR, or how they compare to experimental tests.

Logunov's RTG is definitely a different theory than GR. You can get a good idea of how it differs by reading the one page preface and six page introduction. In the introduction, citing Hilbert, it is claimed "that GR in principle cannot have laws of energy-momentum and angular momentum ... Even today there are scientists that do not understand this, while others do understand it but interpret it as the most important step made by GR, a step that overthrew the concept of energy. ... [In] GR the gravitational field energy cannot be localized. But that absence of any localization of field energy and the absence of conservation laws lead to the absence of the concepts of gravitational waves and gravitational wave flux, which means that the propagation of gravitational energy in space from one object to another is impossible in GR." In the preface it is also claimed, regarding this point, "Einstein's formula (15.56) for gravitational waves does not follow from GR." This reminds me of Einstein's basically correct explanation of the clock paradox in SR, although SR, at that time, applied only to unaccelerated motion; his intuition outran his principles.

Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
I'm not sure I would call this work an alternative formulation of GR. I don't think that was the authors' intention either. I think their intention was to give an alternative theory of gravity, in competition with GR. This work is not considered mainstream. I'm not familiar enough with it to know how much its predictions differ from those of GR, or how they compare to experimental tests.
Logunov's Relativistic Theory of Gravity (RTG) is an alternative theory of gravity, with a massive graviton.

But in the case you set the graviton mass zero, the equations become the Einstein equations with zero cosmological constant in harmonic gauge. So, this particular case can be considered as an alternative interpretation of GR, but it would be more accurate to name it an alternative interpretation of the Einstein equations of GR. Because even in this limit there remain differences. So, a solution is complete if it is defined for all values of the preferred background coordinates. But from point of view of GR this can be incomplete. Then, there is a causality condition, which connects the Einstein causality of the gravitational field with a preferred Minkowski background metric. This forbids some GR solutions, in particular those with closed causal loops.

With nonzero graviton mass, the predictions differ a lot. The FLRW universe becomes cyclic, there appear stable frozen stars with a radius slightly greater than horizon size. But I'm not aware of decisive conflicts with observation. The candidate for this would be the wrong sign of the cosmological constant. But with Wiltshire's timescape cosmology this would not be problematic too.

Likes atyy

Related to Ivanenko, Logunov and even Zelmanov

1. What is the significance of Ivanenko, Logunov, and Zelmanov in science?

Ivanenko, Logunov, and Zelmanov are three prominent scientists who have made significant contributions in their respective fields. Ivanenko was a Soviet physicist who made important contributions in the theory of relativity, Logunov was a Soviet theoretical physicist who developed the alternative theory of gravitation, and Zelmanov is a Russian mathematician who made groundbreaking discoveries in the field of group theory.

2. What is the relationship between Ivanenko, Logunov, and Zelmanov?

Ivanenko, Logunov, and Zelmanov were colleagues who worked together at the Institute for Theoretical and Experimental Physics in Moscow during the late 20th century. They collaborated on various research projects and their work has had a lasting impact on the fields of physics and mathematics.

3. What is the alternative theory of gravitation proposed by Logunov?

Logunov's alternative theory of gravitation, also known as the theory of gravity, is based on the idea that gravity is not a fundamental force but rather an emergent property of spacetime. It proposes a modification of Einstein's theory of general relativity and has been successful in resolving some of the problems that arise in the traditional theory.

4. What are some of Zelmanov's most notable contributions to mathematics?

Zelmanov is best known for his work in group theory, a branch of mathematics that studies the algebraic structures known as groups. He is most famous for his solution of the Restricted Burnside Problem, a longstanding open problem in group theory, for which he was awarded the Fields Medal in 1994. Zelmanov has also made significant contributions to the study of Jordan algebras and their applications in physics.

5. What impact have Ivanenko, Logunov, and Zelmanov had on the scientific community?

Ivanenko, Logunov, and Zelmanov have had a profound impact on the scientific community through their groundbreaking research and discoveries. Their work has advanced our understanding of fundamental concepts in physics and mathematics and has paved the way for further developments in these fields. They have also inspired future generations of scientists to push the boundaries of knowledge and make new discoveries.