Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

It's MHB's birthday! Here's what we were up to in 2012...

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hello everyone!

Today is January 26th, 2013 and marks the one year anniversary of our founding in 2012. We want to first of all thank everyone who has participated on MHB this year by asking questions, answering questions, providing entertaining conversation, recruiting new members and simply signing up to see what we have to offer.

MHB has changed and improved so much in its first year. It's really unbelievable how much we've been able to do in a relatively short period of time for a forum. I'd like to highlight some of the things we're most proud of to summarize what's been going in 2012 and the beginning of the 2013.

Forum skin

This is what vBulletin 4 looks like when you install it.

It's not ugly by any means but it isn't unique when considering how many thousands of other forums on the net look almost exactly the same. We really wanted to have a unique look and feel so we found an awesome designer who helped us accomplish this. Here is what we looked like after the new theme went live.

Since then we've continued to make tweaks and improve the theme. If you have any suggestions, we'd love to hear them!

Things to do besides ask and answer math questions

In addition to the forums, we have a weekly problem of the week (POTW) at 3 levels - high school, undergraduate and graduate. These questions cover a variety of topics and levels, and we also invite anyone to submit their own problems for consideration to use. Since starting the POTW tradition, we've never skipped a problem and we always recognize those who fully or partially answer the questions correctly. We're really happy to offer the POTW problems and look forward to more participation in 2013!

We also have a live chat room where you can talk with other members about whatever comes to mind. It's a great place to say whatever is on your mind and we encourage it! Finally we have an arcade, where you can try to beat other members for trophies and bragging rights. We are planning on expanding the game selection very soon, so look out for that.

If you're into social media, we do have active Facebook and Twitter accounts. We update our FB page often and try to tweet as good ideas come to us, but nevertheless you can find us and follow us on both sites if you wish.

Moderation and organization

We have a wonderful team of staff and dedicated members who all work on keeping the forum well moderated. As a result, our growing database of math problems and general knowledge is optimized for searching and future use. Enforcing rules and meticulously going over all of our threads isn't a task that is "fun" by any means, but doing this establishes and maintains a high standard for our site that we are proud of.

Tools

• MHB Widgets - In the yellow column on the right side of most pages you can see our "MHB Widgets", which are helpful tools for many calculations ranging from the basic to those for calculus. Most of them use the amazing capabilities of Wolfram Alpha, but are constructed in a way to save you time. With just a few clicks and without having to open another tab or window, you can double check your work while staying on MHB. This is especially helpful if you wish to check something while making a post. You can also see them here.
  • Desmos - We were fortunate enough to chat with the staff from www.desmos.com to discuss how their free software could be used on our forum (and all forums I suppose!). We hope that in 2013 we'll see even more functionality through some sort of an API, but our first effort is a feature that speeds up and simplifies the graphing process so much that this is no longer an inconvenience to avoid. It is now possible to post custom graphs to MHB in a matter of seconds once you walk through the steps a couple of times. Also, did we mention that their software is online and free to use!?

Here's an example of how easy it is to post graphs now and what options this allows for others when viewing a graph. This picture demonstrates just part of the neat features available. Notice that the picture below is not just an image, but a link that will load the image plus the equations that were used to make it. From there you can edit anything you want and see the results instantly. Once you try it it's almost impossible to go back to the old ways!

[GRAPH]prggwoi0zw[/GRAPH]

When you make a graph on their site, the code you need to be able to post it here is just a few clicks away. Look here for details.

Unanswered Questions

As of January 23rd, 2013 more than 96.4% of all questions have been answered. That's pretty awesome we think! The reason that a small number of questions aren't answered isn't due to not being noticed. These small number of questions are on the whole very advanced or in an area that requires math knowledge and some other specialty, such as programming or economics. Every question here is read by multiple members and almost always gets help.
[HR][/HR]
[HR][/HR]

Things we need to work on

We've come a long way in one year and everyone who has helped is hopefully proud of our beginning, but there is so much left to do. MHB is not a site that will be deemed "finished" by us at any time. Improvements can always be made and we are always looking for details, no matter how small, that could use tweaking.

This is where you can be of great help! We encourage anyone and everyone to give us feedback, whether it be positive, negative, feasible or downright impossible. The feedback forum exists for real feedback and we want to know all the ways we could possibly improve MHB. When possible we like to accommodate requests from our members and this past year we have made a handful of changes that stemmed from someone pointing out a problem.

Helping us spread the word about MHB

Our biggest issue right now is traffic and exposure. We are aware of this and wish that there was a simple and cheap way to put us at the top of Google and be talked about at universities across the globe, but building a presence on the internet takes a lot of time or a multimillion advertising budget (donations accepted!).

So, how can you help us? Right now we want to focus on offline exposure, so here are a few things you can do if you want to help.

1) Tell your friends, teachers, students and anyone else who might find MHB useful to stop by. We have an easy way for you to email someone you know, which you can find here.

2) Hang a flyer at your school, university or local coffee shop.

3) Continue to be a part of our community by posting, asking questions, answering questions and giving suggestions :)

Conclusion

MHB is a young forum in a niche with a handful of other sites that have things in common with us, but we feel that this forum offers a unique combination of qualities that you can't find elsewhere. Many of you visit lots of math and science message boards daily, so I want to thank you again for being part of our community and I hope you notice some of the things I've mentioned in this post.

If we can collectively work as hard as we did last year then the sky is the limit in terms of becoming a popular and successful community. We have all of the tools that we need to continue providing a math community with the standards we've established in 2012.

Please leave any comments, questions or concerns in this thread if it relates somewhat to plans for 2013. Otherwise I think making a new thread in the feedback forum is the best way to voice your thoughts so others can find them easily.

Thanks again everyone for your amazing work. See you in the forums!

- MHB Admin team

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
When I first registered a few weeks after this site went up, it looked very much like a lot of other forums and being involved as a global moderator at another site, sadly I kind of "forgot" about this site and went on my merry way.(Sadface)

I came back last September and was floored by all the improvements that had gone on in my absence. (Clapping) It was obvious right away that this site had a dedicated team of administrators and staff that were actively engaged in making this site stand head and shoulders above the crowd.

I knew then that this was a place in which I wanted to actively participate. In addition to helping with problems, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the very helpful and informative posts of others here. I enjoy participating in the POTW, and playing the games in the arcade (just try to beat my Tetris score! (Rock)). I have also been motivated to share some of my notes I wrote as a student on various topics.

This site is very well organized, and I am extremely proud to have been promoted here to help meet that goal. The administrators are open to suggestions and respond very quickly to messages and suggestions. You just don't find that in many sites, at least in my experience. They have been quite successful in nurturing a great feel of community here. As one indication of this, take a look at how the members here take the time to thank the posts of others, even if they weren't the one to post the question. It really makes you feel appreciated when you make a post that others feel is helpful.

So, Happy Birthday, MHB! I hope this is the first in a long line of birthdays to come! I am very optimistic about the potential we have here and I predict we will continue to grow and become one of the most popular math help sites on the internet.

Finally, I wish to take a moment to thank the administrators here for the great job they are doing! I'd wager you aren't going to find a more passionate and dedicated administrative team anywhere. (Yes)

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Hey , the look and feel here is obviously different you think that you are in a different world where you learn help and enjoy .
It is really a fabulous websit which will speak about to my friends to have a similar experience You feel that most students are in need for such a forum and I am doing my best to let them know about it .

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
MHB_zps4477294b.jpg

Happy anniversary to MHB, the greatest site on the internet that I've ever seen so far!

I'd like to thank all those who have answered my questions and have taught me various ways to tackle a problem, and it is very nice to obtain help in less than 24 hours (at least in my experience) when I begin to fret about my limited skills to solve a problem.

I hope to see this site growing bigger and stronger in the years to come!

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Excellent, excellent. Congratulations!

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
as the very wise Owl once said:

HIPY PAPY BTHETHDTH THUTHDA BTHUTHDY

soroban

Feb 2, 2012

Has it really been a year already?

Congratulations, Jameson!
You can be very proud of this site.
And I am proud to be a part of it.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Happy birthday, MHB! I can't say it any better than Owl, so I won't try.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Happy birthday MHB!

I remember well the spam and viruses at the previous site.
They were temporarily eliminated and now they are back.

But MHB looks good and shows promise for the future!

animaguy

Jan 20, 2013
The highest level of Mathematics I formally reached was Single Variable Calculus. And up until now, I have not had any real world "direct" need to utilize upper division Mathematics, of course I use Mathematics indirectly but not so much that I would seek help especially on an online forum.

I have taken up CG graphics and now brushing up on Geometry and Algebra, most particularly, is significantly important for me as I enjoy the wonderful and fascinating world of CG graphics.

This is why I have joined this forum.

I have to say I have no complaints. Thanks to the creators of this forum. I am very excited to be a part of this community.

Aesthetically, I have no indivindual complaints. I am more than pleased with the current state and I trust the adminstrators to make any changes they deem necessary to make this forum website an even more rewarding experience for it's users and members than it already has been for the last year.

Once again, thank you for allowing me to participate and interact with others online in regards to the subject of Mathematics.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MHB!

Cheers,
Animaguy

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Happy Anniversary MHB!

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
I just love this site!!! Everything about it, from the helpful posts to the people themselves. Everyone is great, and it is clear that everyone here truly cares about this site!
Happy Birthday MHB!!!