Isothermal compression of a gas and the associated entropy change.

In summary, the total entropy change associated with compressing 1 mole of an ideal gas isothermally from 1 to 10 bar at 298 K is -19.14 J/mol/K when carried out reversibly and -19.14 J/mol/K when carried out irreversibly. This may seem counterintuitive as entropy usually increases, but in this case it is due to the system and surroundings balancing each other out in terms of entropy change.
Matt15
1 mole of an ideal gas is compressed isothermally from 1 to 10 bar at 298 K. Calculate the total entropy change associated with this process if it is carried out
1) Reversibly
2) Irreversibly

S (system) =nRln(vf/vi) for an isothermal process.

I think I am getting a bit confused here. My first attempt was to use S = qrev/T.

For a reversible isothermal change, W = -nRTln(vf/vi) so w = - 1 * 8.31 * 298 *ln(1/10) = 5704 J. As it's isothermal internal energy must be 0 so q = -w. -> q= -5704

so the entropy change is given by -5704/298 = -19.14 J/k/mol. As this heat gets transferred to the surroundings the entropy change there is just 5704/298 = 19.14j/k/mol -> total entropy change is zero.

My main problem came when trying to do it for an irreversible process. If i use the formula S (system) =nRln(vf/vi) i get -19.14 j/k/mol. Which makes sense as entropy is a state function, but i have no idea how to calculate the entropy change for the surroundings if the process is irreversible.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I've had another go at the question. If i use the formula for the entropy change of a system s = nRln(vf/vi) and use it in the case of irreversible free expansion, w = 0 -> q=0 so entropy change in the surroundings = 0. Therefor total entropy change is just given by nRln(vf/vi) it's self. So that means the total entropy change of the irreversible isothermal compression is nRln(1/10) = -19.14 j/mol/k. This looks wrong though because the entropy is decreasing ?

Related to Isothermal compression of a gas and the associated entropy change.

1. What is isothermal compression of a gas?

Isothermal compression of a gas refers to the process in which a gas is compressed at a constant temperature. This means that the heat energy within the gas remains constant, but its volume decreases.

2. What is the purpose of isothermal compression of a gas?

The purpose of isothermal compression of a gas is to increase its pressure while keeping its temperature constant. This can be useful in various industrial and scientific processes, such as in refrigeration systems or in the compression of gases for storage or transportation.

3. How does isothermal compression affect the entropy of a gas?

Isothermal compression of a gas does not change the entropy of the gas. This is because the temperature remains constant, and entropy is directly proportional to temperature. Therefore, the entropy change associated with isothermal compression is zero.

4. What is the relationship between pressure and volume in isothermal compression?

In isothermal compression, the pressure and volume of a gas are inversely proportional. This means that as the volume decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Boyle's Law.

5. Are there any limitations to isothermal compression of a gas?

Yes, there are some limitations to isothermal compression of a gas. The process must be carried out slowly and carefully to maintain a constant temperature. If the compression is too rapid, the temperature may increase, leading to a non-isothermal process and potentially causing damage to the gas or equipment. Additionally, some gases may experience phase changes during isothermal compression, which can affect the accuracy of the process.