Isospin decomposition of K->ππ decay

In summary, the conversation discusses the isospin decomposition in the decay of K to two pions. The state (\pi\pi) can have total isospin 0 or 2, and using Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, the decay amplitudes can be decomposed into A0 and A2. However, there seems to be a discrepancy between the coefficients in the Clebsch-Gordan decomposition and the decay amplitudes. The conversation also mentions the possibility of introducing fictitious particles to explain this discrepancy, as the decay is a weak interaction while isospin is a good quantum number for strong interaction.
Einj
I'm studying the decay K->ππ and I have some doubts on the isospin decomposition. We know that the state [itex](\pi\pi)[/itex] can have total isospin 0 or 2. Now, if we remember that in the isospin representation we have [itex]|\pi^+\langle=|1,1\langle[/itex], [itex]|\pi^0\rangle=|1,0\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\pi^-\rangle=|1,-1\rangle[/itex], then using Clebsch-Gordan coefficients we find:

\begin{eqnarray}
|\pi^+\pi^-\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}|2,0\rangle+\frac{1}{ \sqrt{2}}|1,0\rangle+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}|0,0\rangle \\
|\pi^0\pi^0\rangle=\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}|2,0\rangle - \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}|0,0\rangle \\
|\pi^+\pi^0\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|2,1\rangle + |1,1\rangle)
\end{eqnarray}

Now, my textbook says that we can decompose the decay amplitudes as follow:

\begin{eqnarray}
A_{K^0\rightarrow \pi^+\pi^-}=A_0e^{i\delta_0}+\frac{A_2}{\sqrt{2}}e^{i\delta_2} \\
A_{K^0\rightarrow \pi^0\pi^0}=A_0e^{i\delta_0}-\sqrt{2}e^{i\delta_2} \\
A_{K^+\rightarrow \pi^+\pi^0}=\frac{3}{2}A_2e^{i\delta_2}
\end{eqnarray}

where A0 and A2 are the aplitude referred to the final state with I=0,2.
The problem is: why the decay amplitudes don't present the same coefficient as in the Clebsch-Gordan decomposition?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of the second line, Wikipedia gives

|1,0> ⊗ |1,0> = √(2/3)|2,0> - √(1/3)|0,0>

Does that help?

My fault. I wrote wrong in the post but I did the calculation with the correct formula. I will correct it right now. Still if you see the coefficients of the firt and second group of equation don't match.

Well, how about this, the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients give

|0> = √(1/3)(|1,-1> + |-1,1> - |0,0>)
|2> = √(1/6)(|1,-1> + |-1,1>) + √(2/3) |0,0>

Let K0 decay into the state Φ ≡ B0|0> + B2|2>

= √(1/3)(|1,-1> + |-1,1>)(B0 + √(1/2)B2) - √(1/3)|0,0>(B0 - √2B2)

Rescaling A0 = √(1/3)B0, A2 = - √(1/3)B2 we get

Φ = (|1,-1> + |-1,1>)(A0 + √(1/2)A2) + |0,0>(A0 - √2A2), which reproduces the first two of the textbook equations.

Actually, if I haven't done wrong calculation, I think there are some signs that doesn't match. However I think the situation is a little more complicated as I read here: http://web.mit.edu/woodson/Public/Duarte_isospin.pdf
The article talk about some fictitious particles (spurion) that must be introduced because the decay is a weak one, while the isospin is a good quantum number for strong interaction. I'll see :biggrin:
Thank you very much

Related to Isospin decomposition of K->ππ decay

1. What is isospin decomposition in the context of K->ππ decay?

Isospin decomposition refers to the separation of the strong and electromagnetic interactions in the decay of particles, specifically in the case of K->ππ decay. It allows for a more detailed understanding of the underlying interactions and can provide important insights into the nature of the decay process.

2. Why is isospin decomposition important in the study of K->ππ decay?

Isospin decomposition is important because it helps us understand the different contributions from the strong and electromagnetic interactions in the decay process. By separating these interactions, we can gain a better understanding of the dynamics involved and potentially uncover new physics beyond the Standard Model.

3. How is isospin decomposition performed in the analysis of K->ππ decay?

Isospin decomposition is performed through the use of mathematical techniques, such as the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, which allow us to separate the different interactions in the decay process. This involves breaking down the decay amplitudes into their isospin components and analyzing them separately.

4. What are the main challenges in performing isospin decomposition for K->ππ decay?

One of the main challenges in performing isospin decomposition for K->ππ decay is the presence of strong interactions, which can complicate the separation of the weak and electromagnetic interactions. Additionally, the decay process can involve multiple particles, making the analysis more complex and requiring sophisticated mathematical tools.

5. How does isospin decomposition help us understand the nature of the K->ππ decay process?

Isospin decomposition allows us to identify the different components of the decay process and their relative strengths, providing valuable information about the underlying interactions. This can help us test the predictions of the Standard Model and potentially uncover new physics beyond it. Additionally, by studying the isospin decomposition of K->ππ decay, we can compare it to other similar decays and gain a more comprehensive understanding of the dynamics involved.