Isosceles Triangle Geometry Problem

In summary, two solutions to the homework equation exist, but the second solution is only possible when one of the sides is equal to -2.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

The measure of the sides of an isosceles triangle are represented by x + 5, 3x +13, and 4x + 11. What are the measures of the sides? Two answers are possible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I set up three different triangles, to account for the different placements of the sides; but I only came up with one solution. Where is the second solution coming from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Two of those sides must be equal, right? Pick two of them, set them equal and find x. There are actually three different ways to do that. You'll find one value of x doesn't work.

Well, I did do that, and I got -8, -6, and 2.

Bashyboy said:
Well, I did do that, and I got -8, -6, and 2.

Are those the x values? How did you get -8 and -6? I did get x=2 for one pair.

Oh! terribly sorry: I meant to write -4 and -3. And I found them by creating three different triangles, each case having its side equal to on of the others. For instance, I said a = x + 5,
b = 3x + 13, and c = 4x + 11; then I arbitrarily assigned a and b to be the equivalent sides and set them equal to each other and solved for x. Then, in the second case, I said a = x + 5, but this time I set b = 4x + 11; and once again, I said that a and b were the sides of the isosceles triangle that were equal and consequently set them equal to each other and solved for x. I followed the same procedure for the third case.

Bashyboy said:
Oh! terribly sorry: I meant to write -4 and -3. And I found them by creating three different triangles, each case having its side equal to on of the others. For instance, I said a = x + 5,
b = 3x + 13, and c = 4x + 11; then I arbitrarily assigned a and b to be the equivalent sides and set them equal to each other and solved for x. Then, in the second case, I said a = x + 5, but this time I set b = 4x + 11; and once again, I said that a and b were the sides of the isosceles triangle that were equal and consequently set them equal to each other and solved for x. I followed the same procedure for the third case.

And which one of those gave you x=(-3)? I'm ok with x=2 and x=(-4).

Blimey, I erred once again; the -3 should be a -2, and I found it by setting x + 5 = 4x + 11

Bashyboy said:
Blimey, I erred once again; the -3 should be a -2, and I found it by setting x + 5 = 4x + 11

Ok, so you've got x=2, -2 or -4. Which of those correspond to real triangles? Check what the side lengths are in each case.

Oh, okay, I see: I never plugged the values back into each expression; as soon as I saw the negative value, I completely dismissed it, thinking that you can't have a negative measurement. So, the two answers should be 2 and -2? and this corresponds to two possible triangles?

Bashyboy said:
Oh, okay, I see: I never plugged the values back into each expression; as soon as I saw the negative value, I completely dismissed it, thinking that you can't have a negative measurement. So, the two answers should be 2 and -2? and this corresponds to two possible triangles?

Yes, x=(-4) gives you a side with negative length. Can't have that.

Okay, thank you so very much for your time and help.

Related to Isosceles Triangle Geometry Problem

1. What is an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle is a type of triangle that has two equal sides and two equal angles. It is also known as a two-sided equal triangle.

2. How do you find the missing angle in an isosceles triangle?

In an isosceles triangle, the two equal angles are opposite the two equal sides. To find the missing angle, you can use the fact that the angles in a triangle add up to 180 degrees. So, if you know the measure of one of the equal angles, you can subtract it from 180 and divide the result by 2 to find the measure of the missing angle.

3. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used in isosceles triangles?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In an isosceles right triangle, this means that the two equal sides are the legs of the triangle and the hypotenuse is the square root of 2 times the length of one of the legs.

4. Can an isosceles triangle be equilateral?

Yes, an isosceles triangle can be equilateral if all three sides are equal. In this case, all three angles would also be equal, making it both an isosceles and equilateral triangle.

5. How many lines of symmetry does an isosceles triangle have?

An isosceles triangle has one line of symmetry. This means that if you were to fold the triangle in half along that line, the two resulting halves would be identical.