Isomorphism between Order Ideals and Distributive Lattices

• Thread starter I<3Gauss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary, the poset on the set of order ideals of a poset p, denoted L(p), is a distributive lattice, and it is pretty clear why this is since the supremum of two order ideals and the infimum of 2 order ideals are just union and intersection respectively, and we know that union and intersection are distributive operations. However, Richard Stanley, in his book Enumerative Combinatorics, states that for any distributive lattice L, there exists a poset P such that L(P) is isomorphic to L. I was wondering what the proof is for this particular statement is since I have been trying to prove this to no avail. I appreciate the responses.
I<3Gauss
The poset on the set of order ideals of a poset p, denoted L(p), is a distributive lattice, and it is pretty clear why this is since the supremum of two order ideals and the infimum of 2 order ideals are just union and intersection respectively, and we know that union and intersection are distributive operations. However, Richard Stanley, in his book Enumerative Combinatorics, states that for any distributive lattice L, there exists a poset P such that L(P) is isomorphic to L. I was wondering what the proof is for this particular statement is since I have been trying to prove this to no avail. I appreciate the responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
At first glance, it seems like it should be isomorphic to its own set of order ideals. I feel like that's too easy of an answer though, and I'm making an assumption that's not true

That's an interesting idea but however, i also do not have the guts yet or the know how to make such an assumption.

Think about the map

[tex]x\mapsto I_x[/tex] where [tex]I_x[/tex] is the order ideal of x.

thanks for the tip, i think i kind of see why this is now. I guess if a poset P was the join irreducible set of some Lattice L, and this particular poset P is isomorphic to the join-irreducibles of L(P), which is the set of all Ix, then L would be isomorphic to L(P)?

The tip that you gave would easily prove that a poset P would be isomorphic to the join-irreducibles of J(P), but I guess what I still don't understand is the following:

How does proving P is the subposet of join-irreducibles of L is isomorphic to the join-irreducibles of L(P) help us in proving that L is indeed isomorphic to L(P)?

Related to Isomorphism between Order Ideals and Distributive Lattices

1. What is an isomorphism between order ideals and distributive lattices?

An isomorphism between order ideals and distributive lattices is a mapping between the two structures that preserves the order relation and the lattice operations. In simpler terms, it is a way to show that these two structures are essentially the same, just with different labels for the elements.

2. How are order ideals related to distributive lattices?

Order ideals are subsets of a partially ordered set that are closed under taking upper bounds. Distributive lattices are partially ordered sets with two binary operations, join and meet, that satisfy certain properties. Every distributive lattice can be viewed as a partially ordered set with its order ideals as elements. Therefore, order ideals and distributive lattices are closely related.

3. Why is an isomorphism between order ideals and distributive lattices important?

An isomorphism between order ideals and distributive lattices allows us to use the properties and results from one structure to understand and solve problems in the other. It also helps us to generalize results from one structure to the other, making it a powerful tool in mathematical research and applications.

4. How do we prove the existence of an isomorphism between order ideals and distributive lattices?

To prove the existence of an isomorphism between order ideals and distributive lattices, we need to show that the two structures have the same underlying set, the same order relation, and the same lattice operations. We also need to show that these operations preserve the order relation. This can be done by constructing a mapping between the two structures and proving that it satisfies these conditions.

5. Can an isomorphism between order ideals and distributive lattices always be found?

Yes, every distributive lattice can be isomorphic to a partially ordered set of its order ideals. This is known as the Dedekind-MacNeille completion theorem. However, the isomorphism may not always be unique, as there can be multiple ways to map the elements of the distributive lattice onto its order ideals.