Isolated charged conducting sphere problem

In summary: The sphere has a radius of 12 cm. So using the equation C= (a*b)/(Ke*(b-a)) you get C = (12*(.01)*(4.9x10^4-21))/ (.01*(13.3-4.9)) = 3.4 pF.
abot
Hi, i appreciate your help.

The problem reads
an isolated charged conducting sphere with radius 12cm creates an electrical fiels of 4.90^4 21cm away from the center. find the capacitance and charge density?

I used the formula
C= (a*b)/(Ke*(b-a))
but i get the wrong answer what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the E Field is 4.9x10^4 21cm away, simplify the charged sphere to a point charge, and calculate Q if you know E using Gauss' Law.

[tex] \int{E}{dA} = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0} [/tex] which simplifies to [tex] EA = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Charge Density = Q / A
Whats the surface area of the sphere?

I only know how to do parallel plate capacitances.

abot said:
Hi, i appreciate your help.

The problem reads
an isolated charged conducting sphere with radius 12cm creates an electrical fiels of 4.90^4 21cm away from the center. find the capacitance and charge density?

I used the formula
C= (a*b)/(Ke*(b-a))
but i get the wrong answer what am i doing wrong?
The field at 21 cm radius gives you the charge:

[tex]\int E\cdot dA = 4\pi r^2E = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

[tex]q = 4\pi r^2E\epsilon_0[/tex]

Charge density on surface is just q/A.

It may seem surprising but a charged sphere has capacitance. You can pump more charge onto the sphere and build up the voltage on the sphere (relative to ground). This is essentially how the Vandegraff generator works.

Capacitance is defined as:

[tex]C = q/V = q/\int_R^\infty E dr[/tex]

From Coulomb's law:
[tex] E = \frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0r^2}[/tex]

So from that you can work out the expression for C.

AM

Andrew Mason, above you say what capacitance is defined as and also tell me coulombs law. after i solve for c, capacitance i get
C= (ab)/(k(a-b))
where a and b are the radius
then when i plug the numbers in, i don't get the right answer. the book gets 13.3pF.
what am i doing wrong?
THANKS

[tex]C = \frac{q}{V} = \frac{q}{\int_R^\infty E dr} = \frac{q}{\int_R^\infty{\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0r^2}}{dr}} = \frac{q}{\frac{-q}{4\pi\epsilon_0R}} = -4\pi\epsilon_0R [/tex]

You know all the variables. Now find the capacitance.

Last edited:

Related to Isolated charged conducting sphere problem

1. What is the isolated charged conducting sphere problem?

The isolated charged conducting sphere problem is a theoretical problem in physics that involves a charged sphere that is completely isolated from any external influences, such as other charges or electric fields. The problem seeks to find the distribution of charges on the surface of the sphere and the resulting electric field around it.

2. How do you solve the isolated charged conducting sphere problem?

The problem can be solved using the method of images, which involves creating a mirrored image charge outside of the sphere to cancel out the electric field inside the sphere. This results in a uniform distribution of charges on the surface of the sphere and a constant electric field outside of the sphere. Alternatively, the problem can also be solved using the method of separation of variables, which involves solving for the electric potential and then using it to find the electric field and charge distribution.

3. Why is the isolated charged conducting sphere problem important?

The problem helps us to understand the behavior of electric charges and fields in a simplified scenario, which can then be applied to more complex systems. It also has practical applications in areas such as electrostatics, electromagnetism, and engineering, where understanding the behavior of charges and fields is crucial.

4. What are some real-world examples of the isolated charged conducting sphere problem?

One example is a Van de Graaff generator, which uses a charged conducting sphere to generate high voltages. Another example is a charged metal ball that is used to create lightning in a lightning rod. The problem can also be applied to the behavior of charged particles in a plasma, such as in a fusion reactor.

5. Are there any limitations to the isolated charged conducting sphere problem?

Yes, the problem assumes that the sphere is a perfect conductor, which is not always the case in real-world scenarios. It also assumes that the charge on the sphere is stationary and does not take into account any dynamic changes in the system. Additionally, the problem is limited to electrostatics and does not consider any magnetic effects.