ISO 8608: get the time history from PSD of road roughness?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a PSD or road roughness to excite a vehicle multibody model in different conditions. The question is raised about obtaining an equivalent time history of vertical road displacement from the PSD and solutions are discussed, including using an FFT and controlling the crest factor. Further research and experimentation is suggested to find an appropriate method.
serbring
Hi all,

I have a vehicle multibody model and I want to excite it in different conditions. So I'm thinking to use the PSD or road roughness as reported in the ISO 8608. What I don't understand is, how can I get an equivalent time history of the vertical road displacement from the PSD?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Think how you would get the PSD from the time history (using an FFT). Then do the inverse operation.

That won't give you a unique answer, because the PSD only contains the amplitude information from the FFT, not the phase information. So you can choose any values for the phases when you do the inverse.

If you set all the phases = 0, you will probably get a big "spike" in the time history at one point, which may or may not be realistic depending on what you are simulating. Either choose random phases for each Fourier component, or do some research into how to select the phases to control the "crest factor", i.e. the peak displacement / RMS displacement (or acceleration if that is more interesting) in the time domain. For example http://www.stanford.edu/~boyd/papers/pdf/multitone_low_crest.pdf

AlephZero said:
Think how you would get the PSD from the time history (using an FFT). Then do the inverse operation.

That won't give you a unique answer, because the PSD only contains the amplitude information from the FFT, not the phase information. So you can choose any values for the phases when you do the inverse.

If you set all the phases = 0, you will probably get a big "spike" in the time history at one point, which may or may not be realistic depending on what you are simulating. Either choose random phases for each Fourier component, or do some research into how to select the phases to control the "crest factor", i.e. the peak displacement / RMS displacement (or acceleration if that is more interesting) in the time domain. For example http://www.stanford.edu/~boyd/papers/pdf/multitone_low_crest.pdf

Many thanks for your help I'll take a look at the linked document

Related to ISO 8608: get the time history from PSD of road roughness?

What is ISO 8608 and why is it important in studying road roughness?

ISO 8608 is an international standard that specifies methods for calculating the power spectral density (PSD) of road roughness. It is important in studying road roughness because it provides a standardized approach to analyze and compare road profiles, which can help improve road design and maintenance.

How does ISO 8608 help in obtaining the time history from PSD of road roughness?

ISO 8608 provides a formula for calculating the time history from the PSD of road roughness. This formula takes into account factors such as the road profile wavelength, length, and slope to accurately determine the time history of the road roughness.

Does ISO 8608 have different methods for calculating the time history from PSD of road roughness?

Yes, ISO 8608 has two methods for calculating the time history from PSD of road roughness: the discrete Fourier transform (DFT) method and the inverse Fourier transform (IFT) method. The DFT method is more commonly used as it is more accurate and efficient.

Are there any limitations to using ISO 8608 for obtaining the time history from PSD of road roughness?

While ISO 8608 provides a standardized approach for calculating the time history from PSD of road roughness, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the road profile is stationary, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it does not take into account non-linear effects, which can affect the accuracy of the results.

Can ISO 8608 be used for any type of road roughness profile?

Yes, ISO 8608 can be used for any type of road roughness profile as long as it is stationary. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the results may vary depending on the complexity of the road profile and the method used for calculating the time history from PSD.