Isentropic Specific Enthelpy HELP

In summary, the individual is struggling with equations related to the enthalpy change in a vcc system. They have all equations except for the one that involves the enthalpy difference between the inlet and outlet of the compressor. They are unsure how to handle the isentropic specific enthalpy in the equation and are looking for help in calculating or estimating it. They prefer a more general model that does not require experimental tests and are concerned about the accuracy of using a constant value for hout,s. The solution involves using tables to determine the entropy and enthalpy at the inlet and outlet pressures.
bobboviking
Hi guys,

I'm struggling with some equations regarding the enthalpy change over a compressor in a vcc system.

I'm currently working on a model for the whole system and I think I've got all equations except the one describing the enthalpy difference betweeen the inlet and outlet of the compressor.
I can't really understand how to handle the isentropic specific enthalpy, hout,s, in the following equation:

hout = (hout,s - hin)/ns + hin

where ns is the isentropic efficiency

I also know that ns = (Tout,s-Tin)/(Tout-Tin) (assuming constant specific heat)

I would prefer the model to be as "general" as possible, meaning that I don't have to perform a bunch of experimental test to determine certain coefficients.

I would greatly appreciate some help with how to calculate/estimate hout,s. I think that the value of hout,s depends on the suction pressure (?) so assuming a constant value (from example a table at some operating condition) isn't good enough for an accurate model? I mean that value of hout,s does change when the system moves from that particular condition, right?

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
To get the isentropic enthalpy out, you start with the inlet conditions of temperature and pressure and determine from the tables the entropy in. You must have already don this since you seem to know hin. Then you look up in your tables the enthalpy at the outlet pressure and at the same entropy as inlet. Simple as that. This is hout,s.

Related to Isentropic Specific Enthelpy HELP

1. What is Isentropic Specific Enthalpy?

Isentropic Specific Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that measures the amount of energy required to change the state of a substance from a reference state to a specific state, while maintaining constant entropy.

2. How is Isentropic Specific Enthalpy different from Specific Enthalpy?

Isentropic Specific Enthalpy and Specific Enthalpy are both measures of the amount of energy in a substance. However, Isentropic Specific Enthalpy takes into account the change in entropy, while Specific Enthalpy does not.

3. What is the equation for calculating Isentropic Specific Enthalpy?

The equation for calculating Isentropic Specific Enthalpy is h = u + Pv, where h is the Isentropic Specific Enthalpy, u is the internal energy, P is the pressure, and v is the specific volume.

4. How is Isentropic Specific Enthalpy used in thermodynamics?

Isentropic Specific Enthalpy is used in thermodynamics to analyze and calculate the energy transfers and transformations that occur in a system. It is particularly useful in analyzing processes that involve changes in temperature and pressure.

5. What are some real-world applications of Isentropic Specific Enthalpy?

Isentropic Specific Enthalpy has many real-world applications, including in the design of engines, turbines, and other energy systems. It is also used in the study of atmospheric science and weather dynamics, as well as in the analysis of chemical reactions and processes.